Regional Queensland on a 489 Visa - where to settle?

NiniJ

In your personal opinion, what is the best REGIONAL AREA in QLD to move to from South Africa, taking into consideration the following:

1. Visa is a 489 so we have to LIVE and WORK in areas that fall under the regional postal codes for the first 2 years. eg. Toowoomba (4350) Townsville (4810 + 4813), Nerang/Gilston/Carrara (4211), Jimboomba (4280) etc etc

2. Husband is a carpenter / Site Manager and maintenance man and we would need to be in an area where there is a lot of residential development happening to ensure we can pay the bills each month and that he has ongoing work or the opportunity for full time employment

3. We have a toddler so ideally an area that has lots to do with a little one, safe, outdoors, parks etc etc and opportunities to meet other mommies and Saffers :-)

4. Least important, my husband is a surfer and surfs every weekend so ideally it would be nice to not be too far from the beach so he can keep his sanity :-)

PLEASE can you share your opinions and experience and give us some advice as to the best regional area to settle and work in, given the above facts. We would be extremely grateful!

My daughter stays in Springfield Lakes (4300) Apparently it is one of the largest new planned communities that's being developed. They are still busy with development, so there should be a reasonable amount of work in the vicinity. Maybe Fish will know more about it? He helped me previously with information of the area where he stays

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh we would love to end up in Cairns, the ultimate dream! But not to sure if there would be job opportunities available for a procurement manager! But I think I'm getting ahead of myself as we have to get a positive skills assessment first ☺️

• Like 1

Queensland must be about the best state in Australia for regional lifestyle (outside of the capital city of Brisbane).

There are a number of beautiful towns and cities all the way up the South Pacific coastline.

I have worked in Townsville on and off and would vote the lifestyle there in north Queensland as one pick. The cafes and easy night life in south Townsville are great for a young family to go to on a Friday night after a week's work. It is tropical with people dressing very casually. The suburbs around Townsville are exploding. Since I first worked there back in 1978, it has doubled in size nowadays, and the best thing (I reckon) is the Rugby League team based in Townsville . . . the North Queensland "Cowboys" team.

There is also Cairns, of course. My youngest daughter, now working in Canada, wants to come back to Australia in time and set up in Cairns. She went there a few months ago and fell in love with the easy going tropical lifestyle. Her love of scuba diving was filled to the hilt with swimming off the Great Barrier Reef each weekend, the longest coral reef in the world (2 000 kms)

I can also think of Bundaberg with the nearby towns of Maryborough, and Hervey Bay making a large regional base about 200 or 300 kms north of Brisbane.

In reality, you should take a trip up the coast before settling in and decide which town suits you best.

I think you are fortunate to have a visa offering such lovely spots on this Earth. Many people around the world would sell their own grandmother for an offer like you have received.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone - this is truly helpful! Much appreciated :-)

Asmuts - Best of luck for your skills assessment!! Keep us posted :-)