Applying for passports from SA consulate in Oz

Has anybody had experience with doing this? ;)

I tried to apply for my new passport (with my married surname) over the weekend at HA but they couldn't help me as they need to have my old passport when the new one is collected and I will be in oz at that time. So they said that I need to apply to SA Embassy in Canberra for new passport once I am in oz.

How does this work now, cause the visa would then still be in my old passport. Do I just let DIMIA know that I have a new passport and send it to them for evidencing again? :ilikeit:

Dedrei,

I am not sure how it works thought the SA Consulate, but maybe try these people:

Haydee Miles ( Or anyonje there would be able to help )

Registered Immigration Practitioner (AIPSA 2004/02/0166)

Bunny Hop Documents

P.O Box 639

New Germany

Tel: (031) 705-1189

Fax: (031) 705-1036

Mobile: 082 923 5599

www.bunnyhop.co.za

They do anything including to do with immigration, home affairs and relevant documentation, including passports. They are all obove board. I used them a few weeks ago and got the Unabridged cet in 2 weeks at my house in Adelaide, my friend here that applied in RSA at home affairs in December is still waiting ;) . Check out their website, they are very good and fast and offer a wide range of services. As with all good things, it costs money, but I think it is wort it.

Good Luck and I hope it helps

Guest Larry

I last renewed my SA passport in OZ about eight years ago. It took three months as the application had to go back to SA. - The SA High Commission in Canberra didn't have the authority to do it. Things might have changed..... But the local police had a good chuckle at my expense when I walked in and asked to be fingerprinted. - I was quite heavily involved with Neighbourhood Watch at that stage and they only fingerprint crims. :-)

My sister applied to revew her son's passport from New Zealand. The application had to go via Canberra and then on to SA. It took 18 months!!! But that is the other extreme.

Time taken. - Somewhere between 3 months and 18 months!

My sister applied to revew her son's passport from New Zealand. The application had to go via Canberra and then on to SA. It took 18 months!!! But that is the other extreme.

Wow that is extremely extreme! :ilikeit: even for SA standards.

Friends of ours had a child passport issued within 5 months. :)

Apparently the Canberra office's website is offline and responses from emails are virtually non existent.

How does this work now, cause the visa would then still be in my old passport. Do I just let DIMIA know that I have a new passport and send it to them for evidencing again? <_<

Hi Dedrei

Can't help on the first part of your question. I understand that there is no need for re"evidencing" of the visa in your new passport in the case of a passport expiring. Just carry both. Whether it is the same in the case of a new passport indicating your married surname is not clear.