Eskom Changes...

Garrick

I wasn't sure whether to put this in the Going Back or Funnies sections... so I settled for here.

http://www.fin24.com/Economy/Eskom/Eskom-must-stop-retrenching-skilled-staff-Ramaphosa-20150318

So... any of you that used to work for Eskom say around 10-20 years ago and moved to Australia... the Government has finally worked out that it was a bad move to help you on your way...

-G

• Like 1

Yeah...I read this and snorted in disgust....clearly I still have bitter twisted feelings about their route (and so many others) towards a workforce that "reflects" the population without consideration for real skills. Shame...they only realising it now?? however, they would NEVER just accept bringing in White skilled workers unless they desperate...and clearly they not desperate enough yet. Maybe when there is a country wide black out for 2 weeks they might reconsider...hmpff...just ridiculous!!

Reading another article about how things have changed over time. It's interesting to see that in 1994 there was around 40,000 MW available. That maximum capacity hasn't changed over 20 years. However, the ACTUAL generation capability has dropped to around 28,000 MW. And this is where SA now sits. Of course, some of those power plants were meant to be decommissioned or moth balled - and be replaced, which has not happened yet. But to lose more than 25% of generation capacity in 20 years is a catastrophic failure for any business.

If you read this article, you can see the timeline quite nicely.

http://www.fin24.com/Economy/What-Madiba-told-Eskom-chief-before-becoming-president-20150322

Summary.

1994, Mandela tells Eskom to keep running things as Eskom knows their job.

1998, Government is told to start generating more and look at allowing private electricity generation, and to start this process by the end of 1999. [midway through 1999 Mbeki comes to power - meaning Mandela was still at the helm in 1998 when the recommendations were made]

2004, Mbeki finally gives the go-ahead to start 2 new power plants.

2015, those two power plants are wrought with troubles and not yet near going online.

-G

• Like 1

Agree with all the above, but there is one little detail......almost 35% of ALL consumption is err, "technical losses" Which is our speak for theft. The back of this is a massive year on year growth in illegal connections. Just in the time I stayed in krugersdorp, and did the dail y commute to Pretoria etc, i watched the settlements grow to enormous levels. none of those pay for their electricity, is it small wonder Eskom is in the :censored:? :blush-anim-cl:

Add to that the ZERO political will of the pollies to collect, LEAST of all so close to local election time. Easier to hammer the middle class.

This issue is caused by "dark third forces' AT PLAY. That is an ad verbatim quote from the ANC. Gotta love it, when somethng tanks, its never them, but always some shodowy hand.

They just retrenched a few thousand white engineers....so what exactly have they learnt?

• Like 1

My mother-in-law often jokes about a concept called "nominative determinism" i.e. your name/surname impacts the career you choose. Ever come across a chef with the surname Cook or a weather man with the surname Snowden? Strange as it seems, it happens quite often.

I had to laugh when I read recently that the chairman of Eskom has the surname "Tsotsi" :jester:

PS: no offence to anyone else with that surname, it was just a joke :)

Edited by OnMyWay

• 2 weeks later...

@SurferMan - yeah, guess a few people could be worried about that :) Luckily not something to be taken too seriously.

Care to share your surname?

• Like 1

Maybe when there is a country wide black out for 2 weeks they might reconsider...hmpff...just ridiculous!!

F W De Klerk said it best many years ago in a news paper. He said something like this, "who are the poor black people going to vote for? The ANC, because they want an affirmative action job. Who are the wealthy blacks going to vote for? The ANC, because they want to keep their affirmative action job".

Look at Zimbabwe. The MDC isn't in power today because Mugabe has done some really bad things to enrich his friends. Everyone knows that the MDC would undo many of those terrible things to help the poor.

The same logic applies here. The ANC will sign eemployment contracts for black Eskom workers using torch light, if they have to. Think about it,.. Which employees would be scared more of the ANC being voted out? Not the black employee who is properly competent.

I will bet the conversation at the shabeens this weekend goes.. " My guy Dumesane got a job at Eskom. It pays R10 000 per month! He knows nothing about this electricity stuff. His colleagues told him to be carefull of that white lady politician. She would never give good job!"

• Like 1