It starts!

mistermoose

@mistermoose - nice to read an update from you! I was also wondering how things were turning out for you....

If you were attached to Lula in the same way we were attached to our furry purries, I know how you feel................

I still have habits which I can't break because of them being in our lives for so long, and it's been a year without them :( I still don't put clean washing on the bed to fold, in order to prevent them from jumping up on it and covering it with fur, and if I bake, I still catch myself thinking I need to 'kitty-proof' the result whilst it's cooling as they were sneaky little ninja cats who jumped up on the counter to help themselves to fresh muffins etc!

I am really hoping that something does work out on the job front, and that the contacts you made on your LSD trip can assist in landing you that job whilst still in RSA. The other option to hope / pray for, is that if nothing materializes soon whilst you're still in RSA, that you can amass some more savings in the period that your PR is valid for and come over in a year or so and look here again.

I cant promise anything  - especially with me being a number cruncher and you in a completely different field -  but if you would like to PM with more details on what positions you are after, I can talk to people at work and you never know  - someone may know of an opportunity at a partner's place of employment etc.

• Like 2

On 9/23/2016 at 9:15 AM, EmNew said:

@mistermoose - nice to read an update from you! I was also wondering how things were turning out for you....

If you were attached to Lula in the same way we were attached to our furry purries, I know how you feel................

I still have habits which I can't break because of them being in our lives for so long, and it's been a year without them :( I still don't put clean washing on the bed to fold, in order to prevent them from jumping up on it and covering it with fur, and if I bake, I still catch myself thinking I need to 'kitty-proof' the result whilst it's cooling as they were sneaky little ninja cats who jumped up on the counter to help themselves to fresh muffins etc!

I am really hoping that something does work out on the job front, and that the contacts you made on your LSD trip can assist in landing you that job whilst still in RSA. The other option to hope / pray for, is that if nothing materializes soon whilst you're still in RSA, that you can amass some more savings in the period that your PR is valid for and come over in a year or so and look here again.

I cant promise anything  - especially with me being a number cruncher and you in a completely different field -  but if you would like to PM with more details on what positions you are after, I can talk to people at work and you never know  - someone may know of an opportunity at a partner's place of employment etc.

Hello again my old friend @EmNew! It's so good to hear from you. I have so often thought of you and your move, about how your life has turned out and how your new home has welcomed you, about our shared visa timelines and hopes and aspirations and frustrations, and about whether I'll ever be joining you. 

I'm sure that it won't be too long before you have more little beating hearts scampering around your home and sneaking treats off your counter :) I've come to realise that I just can't live without having a little someone (or plural) in my life, on my couch, in and on my bed ... you know the rest!

I have a few irons in the fire at the moment. Two of them are solid applications where I've had interest from the companies before, and new roles have come up that are even more aligned with my current role and previous experience than before. One is something I was told I was shortlisted for, but have since heard nothing back on. That may pop up as a surprise out of the blue when I least expect it. 

In the meantime, my heart has had time to mould itself and mature on the matter of Aus. Where a year ago it was a raging, roaring flame, licking and crackling and wanting to explode at the first opportunity, it's now more warm and toasty, coals slowly roasting away, with a deeper appreciation for what's coming. At various points in the journey, I've questioned whether this is what I really want, and - it's funny - if my previous opportunities had come off, I might have always wondered whether I'd made a mistake moving over. Now that I've been forced to wait it out, it feels like a decision that has been reached wisely, and I feel completely ready for the next step, whenever it comes along. One thing I do know for sure is that I'm coming over. Date and venue to be decided ;) 

Thank you for the kind offer to connect me where you can. I do have a couple of questions that I'd love to have your insights on when you have a moment, so you'll have something in your inbox by the time you read this :D 

Edited by mistermoose
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, mistermoose said:

In the meantime, my heart has had time to mould itself and mature on the matter of Aus. Where a year ago it was a raging, roaring flame, licking and crackling and wanting to explode at the first opportunity, it's now more warm and toasty, coals slowly roasting away, with a deeper appreciation for what's coming. At various points in the journey, I've questioned whether this is what I really want, and - it's funny - if my previous opportunities had come off, I might have always wondered whether I'd made a mistake moving over. Now that I've been forced to wait it out, it feels like a decision that has been reached wisely, and I feel completely ready for the next step, whenever it comes along. One thing I do know for sure is that I'm coming over. Date and venue to be decided ;) 

I agree with you 100% about time making some people surer about their decisions. By the time we applied for our visas we had been planning emigration for about 10 years, so we knew 100% that we wanted to leave RSA. The only question was about the destination. And lucky for us, we looked at Aussie last, so when we saw it, we just knew. I can tell you now, if it wasn't for this slow methodical approach we would have had a lot of questions and a few doubts.

I really do wish you the best of luck with your smithing, hope it comes out beautifully! (We'll know if we hear you're looking at airplane tickets ;) )

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

This post has taken 5 years to write, and however surreal it seems, it's actually happening. I can't believe it's here, but here I am :)

After many attempts at securing a job from Cape Town over the last few years, and some really close calls, it seemed an impossible feat from offshore. The responses became familiar: they decided to go with someone with Australian experience or I should give them a call when I'm on the ground. So a couple of months ago, I decided to do it. It's 2018 and my visa expires in 2020. The time to do it was now. So I resigned, planned to wrap up at the end of July before flying over to spend an entire month in Sydney to dedicate to on-the-ground interviews. If it didn't work out in a month, or maybe 6 weeks at most, I'd come back to CT and go a new direction. But at least I'd have really given it a good go.

Then, two weeks ago, one of the most incredible opportunities I've ever applied for in the last few years got in touch with me after sending through my application. Several interviews later, and tons of ideas exchanged and references contacted, I signed my permanent employment contract last Thursday. 

So tomorrow afternoon, I fly to Sydney! An Airbnb awaits for the first month. I have lunch scheduled with my new team on Friday and I start my new job on Monday :)

It's a brilliant role with a media giant where I'll get to build something brand new from scratch. The perfect fit. Amazing timing. And proof that everything happens as it should, when it should.

Thanks to all of you for the last few years of discussions, questions, debates, sharing of fears, exchanging of solutions, and support no matter what. It's taken me a while, but I'm finally there. 

It's going to be an incredible adventure. The future starts now!

• Like 13

This was the best news to wake up to this morning 😃😃😃

So happy for you !

Perseverance pays off, along with the alignment of all the right parts of the equation.

Have a safe flight, safe landings, and can’t wait to officially welcome you to Australia  .

( reply to message to follow )

• Like 1

Oh wow! Took you a while, but there you go!

Congratulations.

Do big things!

• Like 1

What wonderful news!!! Good on ya!

I wish you only the very best in Sydney :ilikeit:

• Like 1

Congratulations :ilikeit:, I think your message was inspirational to everyone that is still busy with the process, thank you!

• Like 1

Congrats ... better late than never! 

• Like 2

Thanks so much for the good wishes, everyone! Glad to be on this side of the application at last :)

Now to build a happy life in an exciting new city in a great country. Today, an Airbnb. Tomorrow, the world. OK, maybe a bit longer than tomorrow, but soon enough :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wow after many years of reading your posts, I’m very pleased for you mistermoose! You finally grabbed the...moose? by the horns. Please keep us updated on your progress and enjoy the roller coaster ride! 🤗🤗🤗

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ah @mistermoose

How wonderful. I remember your story well. We've been in Melbourne for 8 months now and though the transition has been tough, I have no regrets. Love this city and country. As you say, everything at the right time. Keep us posted. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just saw this. Woooo hooo. Congrats indeed. Please give me a shout if you need anything in Sydney. Where did you settle? 

Ps. Did your Mom (Mum in Aus) come with you? 

• Like 1

On 11/24/2018 at 4:06 PM, rozellem said:

Just saw this. Woooo hooo. Congrats indeed. Please give me a shout if you need anything in Sydney. Where did you settle? 

Ps. Did your Mom (Mum in Aus) come with you? 

Thanks so much, Roz! We're in Bondi Junction - right near Centennial Park, which is amazing, and central enough to the train, Westfield and Bondi if the need ever hits ;)

My mom came over in October and has settled really well. She's not on the forum though, so think that might be someone else you mentioned.

Hope you're well!

• Like 1