2nd Most stressed nation in the world

EmNew

I have just read a News24 article that ranks South Africa as the 2nd most stressed nation in the world.

Conversely, Australia ranks as the 5th LEAST stressed nation.

Great news for those of us going through this added stress of trying to get a visa and the general immigration stress yet to come :D

www.bloomberg.com/visual-data/best-and-worst/most-stressed-out-countries

• Like 2

Very nice link with lots of info if you drill down into the countries and topics!

From experience only, I can vouch for that. My stress levels were off the charts in South Africa! Life is just so much more relaxed in Australia! Even living in the 5th most expensive city in the world, my stress levels are not even a blimp on the radar. The things we "stress" about here are people jumping the queue, finding parking, inconsiderate smokers, which brand of peanut butter to buy...

• Like 3

Wow, Riekie, sounds heavenly??

My husband and I are discussing often how drained and tired and stretched we feel. Service is bad everywhere, people are rude and abrasive all the time... just getting out there is draining. Beggars on every corner, crime to consider the WHOLE TIME. Our car was jammed a while ago (when you use your remote to lock, a crook uses a device to block your signal, so you think you locked, but have not), and my husband and daughter were almost hijacked (we were unsure about it but he confirmed the tactic with police). It just drives it home hard that you ARE a target, just because you are there. Some might call us paranoid, and yes they are right. I'd say you are in serious DENIAL if you are not.

Our pharmacist told us that they sell more anti depressants and calming tablets than anything else. I found that sad, that a nation has to drug itself to cope.

Our house is on the market, but its very quiet, we have had only one couple come to look. Waiting it out...

• Like 3

The stress level is calculated by adding the unemployment rate to the inflation rate.

not the best methodolgy

Mel-B, until you truly experience living carefree, you have no idea what it's like. Our lives have changed like day and night.

• Like 1

I have to admit that while I was there in January, the only stress I had was from funeral arrangements, and estate handling.

In general the people I dealt with were very friendly, helpful and smiley,

I admit I just played the Aussie visitor.

AND just for the Homecoming Revolution people I DID feel a vibe, but then I realised I was sitting on my phone and put it in my pocket where it belonged.

Yes, people do tend to "live large" there, but that's probably because they don't "live long".

• Like 3

Hi Mel-B,

May I weigh in here for a brief moment? Yes you ARE stressed! Why? Bloody hell, under attack 24x7! There is SO much going on in SA in terms of crime, it's almost incalculable. I had my car jammed in 1996, yes 1996, and my company made me pay cos they did not understand nor had heard of such tech back then. Underground in a parking lot. Yip.

You are doing the right thing in my view by coming over. Just SO by the way,....talking about pharmacom and anti-depressants...I did a system implementation with one of Africa;s biggest pharmacoms. Guess what what is in their Top Twenty Sellers? :offtopic::oops: Yip, all the brand name anti-depressants..and Lipitor, which by the way only worlks in 1 in 140 patients. Anyways, I'm going a little off track...The heart/statin/cholestrerol drugs scene is an amazing con.

I'm just glad that you are leaving. God be with you always and may He strengthen your resolve. Praise be to Jesus.