GUIDE TO THE 143 PARENT VISA

Orphan

Another step taken to getting our visa. Forms completed and have been posted express from Gold Coast to Immigration this week. So now the first waiting period to have moneys taken from credit card and the wait for letter of acknowledgment.

Process has started. :ilikeit:

• Like 1

Congrats JIG. Gives one a great sense of achievement and hope.

First payment made. E-mail from immigration stating payment done and in the que. :ilikeit:

• Like 3

First payment made. E-mail from immigration stating payment done and in the que. :ilikeit:

Congrats!!! You must be so excited.

I was about to post forms off soon for my parents 143 visa too, but my brother in-law was going to stand as sponsor as I'm only going to be eligible to stand as sponsor end of 2016 (as that will be our 2 years living here)...but as my brother in-law isn't financially stable at the current time, and I was just scared there was no one to fall back on if he was rejected as being a sponsor due to their finances. My sister is a stay-at-home mom, so she couldn't stand as sponsor. So looks like we'll need to wait until I'm eligible as a sponsor :(...more delay :(

Edited by acmac

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, so as it happens, we are not even in Australia yet and we are looking at getting my mom over on a contributory parent visa lol!

My brother is on PR there and he's been there for over 4 years (will be applying for citizenship soon). And of course, I'll be going over in March 2016 and will then activate my PR so my brother will need to be the sponsor.

I just need to make sure of a few things so please bear with me!

As I see it, there are two ways to this:

1) 173 (temp. contributory parent visa)

- You pay a VAC1 then you pay a portion of VAC2 (the expensive one) then the parent can go over for two years but will need to apply for the 143 (contributory parent visa) within two years and to get the 143 you'll need to pay the balance of the VAC2 (this helps to spread the cost of VAC2 over the two years?)

- Where does the AoS come in here? 

2)strait up 143 (contributory parent visa)

- You pay a VAC1 then you pay VAC2 (the expensive one) then you pay AoS then the parent can come over permanently. 

In addition, how do you know how much the AoS will cost?

Also, I checked on the immi website https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/143- that just for my mom, the strait up 143 will cost 

ZAR  37,690.00 - Am I missing something? Will the 143 Visa only cost this amount? Surely not. 

Thanks for the help in advance!

• Like 1

Hi Odendaal,

I am sure everyone would rejoice if the cost of the 143 Contributory Parent Visa was only ZAR 37,690. 

Unfortunately it isn't!

You can view the current Visa prices at the following link http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa/Fees,. Sadly, your mother's 143 Contributory Parent (Migrant) visa will currently cost: 

First Application - AU$3,695

Second Application - AU$43,600

Assurance of Support - AU$10,000 (being the main applicant).

Total upfront cost - AU$57,295, which translates to R646,287 at today's exchange rate.  Of this amount, you will be refunded the AU$10,000 AOS Bond, plus interest, after 10 years.

Also note that the cost of the visa generally increases in July each year.   

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Well our journey has officially begun, all forms sent in for the contributory parental visa 143 ,agent paid, first visa application fee paid and now we wait to see how the next 24 months unfolds. Interestingly enough I am not apprehensive but somewhat excited. July 2018 we will find out if we are to live out our last chapter in this rich tapestry of life in BRISBANE with our son, daughter in law and 2 grandchildren or not.

I am cautiously optimistic.

Adrian

• Like 3

Congrats!!!  We're 1.5 months away from lodging my parents visa now...just waiting to be an eligible sponsor, and soon would have been here 2 years.

• Like 1

Hi Jarryd13/Adrian,

Welcome to the Waiting Room, and what will probably feel like the longest two years of your life!  

If I may leave you with one small piece of advice, it would be to try not to second-guess the process as it unfolds.  The worst part of the next 24 months is the paucity of information.  Being in a virtual vacuum, your greatest need will be for official feedback; and when that is not forthcoming, you experience moments of uncertainty and doubt about the process.  You begin to think that perhaps you have neglected to do something, or that your application has somehow been overlooked.

However, you can be assured that the Australian authorities are very efficient, and this whole process will follow its prescribed course.  There is really no need to worry about the outcome...if you qualify for the visa, everything will fall into place as it should..   

And in the end, the waiting will most certainly be worth it.

All the best    

Edited by Orphan
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, Jarryd13 said:

Well our journey has officially begun, all forms sent in for the contributory parental visa 143 ,agent paid, first visa application fee paid and now we wait to see how the next 24 months unfolds. Interestingly enough I am not apprehensive but somewhat excited. July 2018 we will find out if we are to live out our last chapter in this rich tapestry of life in BRISBANE with our son, daughter in law and 2 grandchildren or not.

I am cautiously optimistic.

Adrian

Welcome and all the best. It feels like a lifetime but chatting to all the others waiting helps a lot.

• Like 1

Hi all in the waiting room. Applied in November 2015, deposit payed, house finally sold last week going to sign papers at the  lawyers. packing frantically. move to rental end of July.

Just can't wait to get there Rand not very friendly at the moment.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, JIG said:

Hi all in the waiting room. Applied in November 2015, deposit payed, house finally sold last week going to sign papers at the  lawyers. packing frantically. move to rental end of July.

Just can't wait to get there Rand not very friendly at the moment.

Good luck with the packing.☺

• 2 months later...

To everyone in this thread, please take note of this important announcment:

Anyone in the waiting room who recently got allocated a case officer or heard anything from Immi? 

• 1 month later...

HI ALL in the waiting room. Have any of you heard anything on how your applications are proceeding?

I see they are only processing June 2014 at the moment which pushes applications back another 4 months:(.

• Like 1

Hello JIG

unfortunately nothing encouraging for now. Agents advised that since my application was lodged June 2015 it's not likely to be processed further until after the middle of 2017. This means longer than 24 months from submission date ?  

Still, with 17 months done and dusted there are at least another 7 months to wait.  Probably more like 9 months.  Guess no point in getting oneself worked up about matters beyond our control ?

• Like 2

Hi Guys and Gals. I am dying to know what is going to happen once immi has worked through the June 2014 applications. Are we going to see processing speeding up? Let's hope so. I can not wait to see.!

• 2 months later...

Hi all ,

I am new to this forum, 

My mother applied 143 visa 2.5 years back and she add me as a dependent child becaus I am doing my post graduation studies .

Now case officer is assigned to her file and we got an email saying that provided documents shows that I am a dependent child .but they want some proff that my mom she pay me money for everything like for my study,food ,trevling and daily  allowance and case officer want to see bank statements that shows that my mom she is transferring me money for everything .

But the place I live in we pay cash for all our transections like groceries , phone boll,water bill ,medical etc .

Now I dont know how to prove that my mom is giving me cash for everything because cash is the only convenient way for us because where I live we don't use EFPOS or debit and credit card for our purchase and bank statement of my mother  account shows that she frequently withdraw money from her bank account and in that bank statement there is no online transection and other direct debit because the place I live in we do 100% transactions in cash and it is true .

Now we just amazad how to prove this truth .

Any sugession is we'll come 

What can we do in this case 

And I am sure there is way to get out of it

Edited by Lucky007

Hi Orphan thanks for all information I am reading this forum from long time and very impressed by your explanation on this topic please read below and pass me any sugesson thanks .

My mother applied 143 visa 2.5 years back and she add me as a dependent child becaus I am doing my post graduation studies .

Now case officer is assigned to her file and we got an email saying that provided documents shows that I am a dependent child .but they want some proff that my mom she pay me money for everything like for my study,food ,trevling and daily  allowance and case officer want to see bank statements that shows that my mom she is transferring me money for everything .

But the place I live in we pay cash for all our transections like groceries , phone boll,water bill ,medical etc .

Now I dont know how to prove that my mom is giving me cash for everything because cash is the only convenient way for us because where I live we don't use EFPOS or debit and credit card for our purchase and bank statement of my mother  account shows that she frequently withdraw money from her bank account and in that bank statement there is no online transection and other direct debit because the place I live in we do 100% transactions in cash and it is true .

Lucky,

I wish I could help you, but there is just too much about your circumstances which is unknown.  For example, you don't say how old you are, which itself has a bearing on your status.

What I do know is that if your mother has named you as a dependent in her application, she will have to prove this to the immigration authorities. And I can assure you that there is no way to get out of it!    

The visa regulations say that a "dependent" child over 18 can be included in the visa application; however, the extent to which you are considered "a dependent" is determined by whether you are "wholly or substantially reliant" on your mother for your basic needs, such as food, clothing and shelter. To prove this, you must show that you usually live with your mother, are more reliant on her for support than on any other person or source, and you have relied on her for at least 12 months immediately before her visa application was lodged.  Note that you are NOT considered to be a "dependent" if you are currently married, engaged to be married, or in a "de facto" (common law) relationship. You can read this at http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/143.aspx and there is a comprehensive parent visa brochure you can download from the immi.gov website

Reading your blog, I don't know how you are going to prove your dependency if neither you nor your mother have got financial documentation (receipts, bank statements etc) to show that she has been paying for everything. And for that reason, I would strongly recommend you get hold of a registered immigration agent, who can help you work through these issues.

43 minutes ago, Orphan said:

Lucky,

I wish I could help you, but there is just too much about your circumstances which is unknown.  For example, you don't say how old you are, which itself has a bearing on your status.

What I do know is that if your mother has named you as a dependent in her application, she will have to prove this to the immigration authorities. And I can assure you that there is no way to get out of it!    

The visa regulations say that a "dependent" child over 18 can be included in the visa application; however, the extent to which you are considered "a dependent" is determined by whether you are "wholly or substantially reliant" on your mother for your basic needs, such as food, clothing and shelter. To prove this, you must show that you usually live with your mother, are more reliant on her for support than on any other person or source, and you have relied on her for at least 12 months immediately before her visa application was lodged.  Note that you are NOT considered to be a "dependent" if you are currently married, engaged to be married, or in a "de facto" (common law) relationship. You can read this at http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/143.aspx and there is a comprehensive parent visa brochure you can download from the immi.gov website

Reading your blog, I don't know how you are going to prove your dependency if neither you nor your mother have got financial documentation (receipts, bank statements etc) to show that she has been paying for everything. And for that reason, I would strongly recommend you get hold of a registered immigration agent, who can help you work through these issues.

Hi Orphan thanks for all information I am reading this forum from long time and very impressed by your explanation on this topic please read below and pass me any sugesson thanks .

Hi orphan ,

Thanks for quick reply,

Actually we have got email from department of immigration stated that they are considering me dependent because I am full time regular student .

Buy they want us to prove that I am financially dependent on my mom .

As I am living with my mom in her home not paying any rent and she is bearing all my expences .

I never have been employed and no one in my life instead of my mother that I depend financially and emotionally .

My mother have regular income of  sourse that is used for my study and living expences .As I live with mother in same house she is paying all bills electricity and water etc etc .

I am not married or not in a relation . as it is mentioned in immigration website 

I think It means I am fulfilling all these requirement 

• 2 months later...

I am very Happy to announce that my Mom and younger brother got visa .

We have applied 143 visa when my younger brother was 27 year old and pursuing his PhD in overseas but he was full time student and dependent on my parents  til now .

Only thing is we need to provide full supporting documents to case officer that he is financially dependent on my Mom for his food and shelter and other expenses and we have provide the evidence that my mother nominate my younger brother for all this property and financial matter that what she did couple of years back and my younger brother is nominated for all bank account and fixed accounts after my Mom . 

Remember one thing we have given all proper information to department of immigration and they issue visa for My Mom and my brother who is 31 year old now but still pursuing his full time study not married and fully dependent on my mother for his needs including everything .

Thanks everyone for help during this process ....

Good Luck ....

• Like 2