In the immortal words of Supernatural... The Journey So Far...

SDTCPT

47 minutes ago, SDTCPT said:

Too bad you only have 4 thumbs and big toes to hold onto in situations like this... I'm only human and not a alien... damnit :)

Nah, man, those extra limbs, you borrow them from your friends! ;) 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RedPanda said:

Nah, man, those extra limbs, you borrow them from your friends! ;) 

:ilikeit:

On 14 January 2016 at 9:57 PM, SDTCPT said:

Some good news...

Had a full price offer on the house. Signed to accept the OTP on Tuesday (wife's birthdays as well)...

Sjoe, that must be such a relief for you ! Hope the OTP makes the home run, without hiccups along the way. Will hold all thumbs, cross fingers , toes etc :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So... still no word from the first couple that put in an offer, other that apparently they are still waiting on their finance, nothing we can do about that... While they take their sweet time in sorting that out, we have signed a second OTP yesterday, a bit lower but still good. This time round the lady is pre-qualified and we should here about the final approval by mid week or so the agent says. If they do get approval it means that the first couple only has 3 days to get off their asses and get their finance sorted or they lose the house to the second offer we accepted... not my problem as my house will be sold then...

On the job front, both me and the wife have now handed in our resignations and come the 15th of March it will be the first time we will both be without a job at the same time (she was fortunate enough to never have gone without a job yet...). Scary times...

Other that that we are just counting down the days until we fly out and start the next chapter in our lives together...

• Like 1

Ok so the house is sold. Just don't  know to who and for how much :whome: Will find that our tomorrow. Second offer's financing came through before the first one so they only have till tomorrow to sort their :censored: out...

9 and 1/2 weeks to go before we fly out... o :censored:

• Like 5

We've got 14, right on your tail.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SDTCPT said:

Ok so the house is sold.

:ilikeit:

Great news! 

Enjoy those last weeks - really getting close to D-Day......

• 4 weeks later...

Jeez the weeks just go by so fast coming up on your departure date...

Since the last time I posted, we have decided to use Econo Trans to do our move. Thought that we would be able to go groupage, but the price difference between that and a 20' container is not really the much, so we are going with the container (gives us a bit more control on when to ship). Packing the 23rd and 24th of March. So that's sorted. The big clearout is ongoing and the big clean up will start as soon as our last day at work is done. No use doing it now and having to do again it before the container is packed.

Have to fix some minor (well not if you see the quote to repair it) damage to our car before we sell it, so I have the great experience of dealing with insurance before we go (as if I don't have enough stress at the moment - damn the idiot that ran into the side of the car... can you believe that! I mean really How did you not see that bloody car right in front of you).

3 weeks before I am jobless :unsure: and then just 3 weeks more and we will be in Aus. Can't wait to get there and start building our new lives. This not really knowing what will happen is really taking its toll on me now...

• Like 4

Good move on not shipping groupage!!! It just takes too long :( Our goods still haven't been released from quarantine in Melbourne, so tomorrow it's exactly 6 months since our boxes were packed up and taken away. Can't fault Econo Trans though ( the Cape Town side's service was excellent ), and it was our choice/request to go groupage.

Enjoy every moment of the 3 jobless weeks in RSA , and take time out for yourselves. 

Hi Em.

Hope the job is still going well.

It just made more sense to take the container for the reason sstated and adding anything to groupage would cost extra but the container's price is set ( bar currency f ups like today again...).

Those last couple of weeks are gonna be hectic. We have a week to get everything ready for packing. Then we are doing Easter with my parents. Back to Cape Town to finalise everything with the house before the new owners move in. Then the long roadtrip up to Centurion (inlaws) with a stopover in the Free State (more of my wife's family). I get tired just thinking about it...

SDTCPT just a friendly heads up. We also used econotrans- they packed up for us 8/9/10 Dec - we received our goods on Friday, so dont count on the 6 - 8 weeks they quote it is more like 11 weeks. The extra month in holiday accomodation definitely wasnt in our budget!!

Thanks Sandra, will keep that in mind.

Luckily we are staying with family until we find our feet. Might have to look into getting a 6 month furnished rental first (once work has been sorted) and then look for an unfurnished rental while we wait for the container.

And so our final month in sunny South Africa (well this is Cape Town close to Easter, you take the sunny days where you can) has started...

But hell, it could have started a bit less hectic and what's worse is that it is only gonna get more hectic from here on out.. lots still to do before we get on that 777.

Where is a racing harness when you need one...

This is the blink and you will miss it portion of the move. Grab that whirlwind by the tail and make the most of it.

So another milestone has been reached in the count down towards our arrival in Aus...

Just got word that the transfer of our house has been lodged with the Deeds Office. A bit earlier then I expected but I assume they are compensating for the string of public holidays coming up as registration has to happen on the 1st of April.

Accounting for the time difference, this time next month we should be on final approach into Perth International :ilikeit:

• Like 5

I'm unemployed! :( 

So I have finished my last day at work. Next week they pack the container. Better start cleaning:)

Can't wait to get on that plane...

• Like 1

Sterkte!

• 2 weeks later...

Thats it...

The house is packed up. The end is in sight. Tomorrow we go to my parents for the long weekend and then on Wednesday we leave Cape Town behind when we drive up to say goodbye to my wife's family. Then its on a plane and out of here..

Have a Blessed Easter.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

And so it ends...

In little less than 9 hours we are on a plane and out of here. Hell the last couple of weeks were hectic. Now we are all packed (a bit over weight) and just waiting to get on the plane.

Next post will be from Aus...

• Like 3

Have a safe flight and good luck :)

All the best! Been following this thread for a while, and it's been quite a journey! Be like Sam and Dean... fearless and kick ass! (Had to add in the Supernatural reference ;) )

All the best and safe flights.

Hope that the flight here to Aus was a good one , and wishing you both all the best for your new life !

Can t wait to read the next installment re landing and settling in :)

Fantastic!! I know how we felt when we came back to Melbourne in December, I couldn't wait to get on that plane. It was a huge relief. I wish you and your family all the very best with your new life in Australia. :-)