In the immortal words of Supernatural... The Journey So Far...

SDTCPT

So after an very eventful trip to Namibia, we got everything done for our PCC applications and delivered them to Nevetec so they can submit them.

Hopefully everything goes smoothly and they don't take forever to send us the certificates...

• Like 1

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

What a crappy 3 weeks this has been luck wise for my wife and I... and I should say for my insurance company...

To start us off some :censored: idiot texting on his cellphone walks off the curb right in front of my wife while she was coming out of a parking garage. In her effort to avoid the bloody smartphone zombie she scraped the side of her car. That was week 1. Next on our first trip away alone together since our honeymoon we have a huge bloody accident rolling the Hilux we were driving (some good luck... we were both relatively ok, no serious injuries) and we end up with most of our electronics being only fit for spare parts. That was week 2. And now to top of week 3, I get a call from the good people at Capital Security telling me to please come home because your house was the venue for some affirmative shopping. ( a bit more good luck in with the bad, looks like it was only the tv on the shopping list).

Well as they say, bad luck comes in threes... hopefully that means all my bad luck for the month is used up and we will get our visa granted without any problems...

Well rant over, back to work.

Hope whom ever is reading this is having a better month the we are :D

Edited by SDTCPT

Wow.........that's a lot to happen in a short time :( Glad to hear no bad injuries though......

I cannot even imagine the stress of dealing with insurance claims etc on top of the waiting game.

Hoping that the PCC's arrive soon, and that they're shortly followed by appointment of your VPO, and then grant letter - 3 amazingly good things! :D

• 3 weeks later...

We got our VPO,

Finally we got our VPO, was beginning to stress a bit about that as some of the other people that submitted after me had received word from theirs already. But guess what info our VPO wanted... you guessed it folks the !@#$%% PPC which SAPS have taken 3 week already to even register on their system. Hope they get their @#$% together and send the ASAP and correct the first time.

Anyway one last hurdle to get over (and I sucked at hurdles in school, kept knocking the damn things over...)

• Like 1

Best of luck man, if you've gotten that SMS that it's registered, it shouldn't be too much longer. Holding thumbs for you!

Awesome news for a cold, wet windy day!! :ilikeit:

I can't remember - did you use NeVeTec for the PCC or do it yourself? If you used NeVeTec, you don't get the sms.... they do. Have you tried searching on the online PCC tracking system under your name and ID to see the progress?

Hi Em,

I used Nevetec. My wife got her sms, but I have not received any sms. I can however see on the SAPS website that both our application have been registered on 22/05/2015. It took SAPS a couple of weeks because I gave the apps to Nevetec on the 5th. Stephen told me they received word from the CRC that they (CRC) are running behind because of a big project they took on for Mozambique nationals... I just hope they catch up again soon :(

• 2 weeks later...

That's it I'm done...

After a really crappy couple of weeks, there was one little ray of sunshine today... I just uploaded our PCC's to my Immi account. Lets hope that the next email I get from our VPO says VISA GRANTED...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stress, this is Stefan,

You have overstayed your welcome, now please F OFF.

Thanks

Edited by SDTCPT
  • Like 2

Hoping that magic email comes soon!

All the best for the frayed nerves, chewed finger nails etc etc

• 2 weeks later...

11 days and counting...

At least all the :censored: with our insurance has been sorted out after a month of hassles. Let just hope the VPO answers me in the "7 working days" as stated in their auto reply mail... ( the bu... er, the very very nice man, has only tomorrow left is he wants to make their own deadline). Not holding out too much hope though, will probably only get an answer in July...

Em, now I kind of know how you must have felt waiting for the grant after your VPO was assigned. I hope all your preparations for the big move are going more or less according to plan...

Hopefully you will get an answer soon! ( ie before 1/7.... )

Em, now I kind of know how you must have felt waiting for the grant after your VPO was assigned. I hope all your preparations for the big move are going more or less according to plan...

Yip, this was by far the worst wait - so close, yet so far!!!

Well, we do have best laid plans, just hoping we're going to implement them all without hiccups ;)

What did help, was setting the exit date and booking the one-way flights! That gave us a very nice concrete goal, and helped us focus better. Previously we did little bits of lots of things, but didn't feel as if we were getting anywhere.

Taking today off is helping too - sneaking in a long weekend break before the 'final push' on the work front and the exit front.

• 3 weeks later...

July 1st 2015 and we hear... well a big fat nothing...

Guess the wait continues... damn <_<

• Like 2

Was thinking of you and Mistermoose in particular this morning. So hoping that I would see happy announcements all round....

Hang in there, it really can't be long now.

On another note, accountants all round must be letting out a huge relief that our occupation is still on the SOL.....hope for others too

DIBP is :sleep1:

So I wake up at 03:40 this morning after taking a sleeping pill (fat lot of good that did...) because of this flashing blue light.

Thought "O hell what now...?", turns out it was not it was not the cops, just my phone :) So with sleep blinded eyes I open the mail and I see it's form DIBP... and it seems they have decided I was not talking a bunch of crap on our application and so our visas have been GRANTED!!! :ilikeit: Now the 2 hours of sleep is not that bad :)

Just want to says thanks to all the people on this forum that have taken the time to answer questions or just post their own experiences it was such a huge help since I did this without an agent...

Now to get this damn workday over so we can pop the bubbly stuff.

• Like 4

WOHOOOOOOOOO :ilikeit::congratulations:

Feeling celebratory on your behalf :D

Hope you stay in touch and keep us updated how the next stages go.

Yeah, we popped that cork and chased down some TimTams that we got at Spar when we got our visa - will remember that day and feeling of elation and relief forever!

Congrats SDTCPT

What fabulous news!!

Good luck with the next stage of your journey.

Damn I just noticed how crappy I typed my post yesterday... I blame the excitement :oops:

Well today I took the next step on our journey to Aus... I applied for a NAB bank account (they allow you to open an account up to 12 months in advance of your arrival).

I also checked some ticket prices for our exit date of around the first week in April next year (unless something happens to speed up the plans like one of us landing a job or one of us deciding we better leave before we m :censored:r one of our colleagues :whome:). We have to be in Aus by the 13th of April 2016 to activate the visa, so we are looking at making only a one way trip... Not bad prices if you think about it... Cheapest is Cathy Pacific (R11800 for 2), but they only give 20kg of baggage. Next is Etihad and they give you 30kg (R13300 for 2). Both are long flights but they are much cheaper than direct ones and seeing as we don't have kids I would rather save the bucks (even if it is at the expense of our butts :). We did the flight via Dubai and let me tell you it gets veryyyyyyyyy long...) Leaving then also should give us enough time to wrap everything up this side...

Initial plan is to bunk with the BIL in Bunbury and then look for work in Perth (wife is a draughtsperson and I'm an accountant). Will see how the job search goes when we get there. The wife knows someone who knows some people... :) so maybe that can lead to something. Would be great to arrive with one job... which also might change where and when we arrive...

Enough rambling for one day... time for coffee

• Like 1

Congratulations, wonderful news!

Congrats, and all the best for the time ahead!
We plan to land in Melbourne around the end of May next year.

Getting that grant letter in the middle of the night is one of the best feelings ever!

• 1 month later...

I'm leaving on a jet plane... well not just yet...

So I booked our tickets today, leaving from Jhb (after spending time with the inlaws) on 07/04/2016 and landing in Perth on 09/04/2016. See that nice big gap? Learned my lesson the last time we made the trip and only had 2h30m layover in Dubai. Its a hell of a big airport and being delayed in Cpt and parking on the edge of Dubai airport and then having a long bus trip to the terminal makes for quite a rush job to catch the next flight. So this time around we have a 18 hour layover and I booked a room in Dubai International Hotel (in the airport building itself) so we can get some sleep and have a shower and just relax, making it one 8 hour flight and then one 11 hour flight instead of 2 back to back 10/11 hour flights which just feels like one 24000 hour flight (no I did not make a typo, it felt that long to me :yawn: ) Plus I booked a massage for the wife, but she will only find that out when we get there :D . Like they say in the movies... :censored: just got real. Like really real. (Crap I sound like an American... :whome: )

PS

Just read something interesting... got some gamers reading my journal (like I read theirs :ilikeit: ... wait that sounded a bit creepy.. should be ok though, we are all friendly on this forum... :D ). Might have to change my interest on my profile to reflect gaming as well. (Will not be revealing my gaming tag coz I get my ass kicked online enough already, no need to add more potential fragging to my stats :ilikeit: ) Just for the hell of it, what are you guys playing at the moment? I was playing COD Advanced Warfare, but now I have got a bit hooked on World of Tanks...

• Like 2

Hahahaha!!! Spotted!
I'll let GenDemo tell you what he plays himself.

I...uhm..haven't actually played much the past year or so. I'm finishing a masters (that is taking me forever, but at least progressing, looks like I'll have it bagged in a month or two) and I did all the visa application research and admin, so I didn't have much time left.

But...before I got interrupted I played mostly quest type games like Atlantis:The Lost Tales, by Cryo (yeah, I know, it's a really obscure, rather old one, I started playing in primary school), along with Atlantis II & III, people say they are a lot like Myst, which I never got to play. I also liked Ring: The Legend of the Nibelungen, also by Cryo. Then more recently I played Hellgate London, the Mass Effect trilogy (my all time favourite. The first time I played it, I played Mass Effect I through continuously without sleeping(Paragon), then slept for a few hours and restarted it as Renegade and then within a week or so had played the lot! :blush: ), and then I also played some Dota. Oh, and Diablo II, Dungeon Keeper..II..I think. And Black & White. I never played the Sims, but I think I might have played SimCity?(where you plan and build a city, much like Black & White). And on rare occasion I'll join Counter Strike, but only if there are other players at a LAN that don't play it regularly, otherwise I spend the game respawning..hehehe...

When I have time between the end of Masters and the move to Aus, I want to play Skyrim and maybe one or two of the Star Wars games like Knights of the Old Republic(GenDemo is a total StarWars nut, but I love him for it). I'm not really into strategy games like Command and Conquer or StarCraft. Never played GTA, never wanted to. I don't play racing games either. But I do like to watch other people play some of the games that I don't play.

Oh my soul, asking about gaming is just as bad as asking: So which animés do you watch? You always think it's a short answer, then it turns out not to be.

Ok, so now it's his turn to tell you what he plays...

• Like 1

Hi RedPanda,

I think I am getting to old for FPS multiplayer games, my fast twitch reactions are not what they used to be... (learnt that after respawning for almost 3 min straight in one session of Advanced Warfare :blush: I must admit that I have not even heard of the first lot of games you mentioned. I also enjoyed the Mass Effect games. Played 1 and then after a while played 2 and 3 back to back (all paragon, might have to go back and try the renegade route some time...). Played Dragon Age in between ME1 and ME2. Started Skyrim and DA2 just after ME3 but must admit I have not gotten far with them. I refuse to play any of the SIMS games... I have enough crap to deal with in real life to sit around and micro manage a bunch of pixels :D

Good luck with the last part of the Masters. I know it is real hard to word and study at the same time... been doing that on and off for the last 10 years...

• Like 1

Ooh - nice one on booking those tickets!!! Tick Tock Tick Tock - hope the 7/04/2015 comes around quickly and smoothly for you!! I am sure you will score mega brownie points on the surprise massage.

Mmm, must still update profile to say I play the occasional PC game.... :D

Sadly so far for 2015, the closest I have come to a game is watching hubby's screen while he plays Witcher 3 - looking at Geralt of Riviera running around is quite therapeutic ..... :blush-anim-cl:

I was on a MMORPG roll until we started the whole visa process - started with WoW, then Star Wars, then Guild Wars 2. Then played around with Archage and Swordsman - 2 popular Chinese MMORPG's. Then ran out of time to play as the visa process just swallowed all energy and time.

All time favourite is the Assassins Creed trilogy with Ezio as main character - the time periods they were set in, the blend of fact and fiction, the locations etc just really struck a cord with me - made the repetitive gameplay worth plodding through. Also loved Mass Effect - male Shepard though - didn't work as a FemShep for me.

Started out way back in the 1980's with the Kings Quests, Police Quests, Leisure Suit Larry's etc - had a gamer of a big brother so I was hooked from the days of the old Commodore 64 and the horrendous graphics of a black and white EGA monitor!

Only strategy game that ever grabbed me was the older Sid Meier's Civilization, not the latest space release though. Hubby is still mad about my first Counterstrike Lan , where I got head shots after headshots initially......and then started killing my team mates - I want from lauded to cursed in a matter of minutes......

Dota..... tried that once as my one nephew is an addict. It was just too fast and too confusing and after a few hours of getting nowhere, dying almost immediately , decided I was way too old to cope with that!

• Like 1