In the immortal words of Supernatural... The Journey So Far...

SDTCPT

Sheesh, these people speak their own language, it is all in code :whome: :whome: :whome:

• Like 2

Heya

So yeah, I am quite a big gamer. When you ask what games I play, I would like to say "What don't I play?". however, these days there are so many titles that one has to choose. So...I am not really sure how to answer that question. I started out with War Craft, kings quest, Command & Conquer...and I have not stopped since and I've played pretty much everything. I give most things a try. The only thing I stay away from is horror games - Half Life is a far as I go. Let me just name a bunch of stuff...cant name everything as it is just to much... So in this list, if I don't spesify, then I played all the titles in the series: Assassin's Creed (only got up to AC3 and it annoyed me so I stopped), Fable (1 & 3), Hellgate London, Crysis, Dragon Age (1 & 2), Mass Effect, Skyrim (never got into the other Elder Scrolls), Counter Strike (was in a clan in school and competed in a few competitions), DotA, Homeworld, Left for Dead, Thief, Tomb Raider, Command & Conquer (4 was terrible), Need for Speed (played them all.. Started with 1...before that I loved to play Stunts), Act of War, Black & White, bastion, Borderlands (not a huge fan though), Battlefield 1942, Dark Reign, War Craft (never got into WOW, despite being a huge fan of the series)....should I stop? nah lets keep going and stir up some nostalgia in some people...Dishonoured, Diablo (hated 3), Dawn of War (1 & 2), Dungeon Keeper (1 & 2), Age of Empires, Dungeon Siege (1 & 3), Evil Genius, Far Cry 3, Flat Out (1 & 2), Freelancer, Ghost Recon, Ground Control (never liked 1 much, 2 is awesome), Kingdom of Amalur, Neverwinter nights (I'm a huge D&D fan), Portal, Plants vs Zombies, Prince of Persia (4), Rainbow six.... you tired yet? lets make you fall asleep... Star Wars (played most of them, ultimate fav is KotOR 1 & 2...ToR is quite nice but not very gripping), Star Craft, Star Topia, Syndicate, Test Drive, battle for Middle Earth, Titan Quest, Uplink, Unreal Tournament (1, 2003, 2004...hate 3), Wolfenstein (3D and the New Order - yes I know there is quite the jump), XCom (but not a big fan), Wing Commander (3)....

Ok, I'll stop now...but there is more.... hehehe...

So...does that answer your question regarding what I play? I don't like console games, though I have a XBox controller for my computer... and most of the RPG games I have play to many times to remember....

Never be shy to fly your freak flag...

SDTCPT, Hahaha...goodie two shoes... You absolutely have to go back and Play ME123 through as Renegade! It's loads of fun! I found it wasn't so rewarding for me, but it was so satisfying to just kill off characters that are annoying, and some of the 'intimidate' scenes are also rather well done. Anyway, I've played the lot through quite a few times now, trying all kinds of variations, like what you do with the Rachni queen, who you romance, which council you let rule after ME 1. Anyway, like I said, I went totally loopy over it. And uhm...I'm not working yet, so just doing M, but at least I also did visa stuff. And the first games I mention, especially the ones by Cryo, are a bit obscure, they are adventure/puzzle solving type point-and-click story games. They used some rather nice graphics for their time. But I think Cryo went belly-up in the end, I think it's a pity.

EmNew, I see a little profile edit happened.. :ilikeit: I also just watched Assasin's Creed on GenDemo's screen, not sure if I'd play it? But I can tell you something amusing about it: We went on a tour of Europe, and when we got to Venice, certain people had played so much AC that they knew the city layout! I kid you not! And the game maps are accurate. I only played ME as FemShep, but both of us have a special fondness for creating custom characters at the start of a game, so my character was not the default. Perhaps that makes a difference? I tried playing as a male, but for me that just didn't work as well, I didn't like the character. I never tried any of the MMO games, not exactly sure why. Your CS comment made me laugh. And with Dota, it helps if you are with enough people so you can play as a team against Bots, and then your friends teach you a few of the tricks. It also helps to play the right hero, they all have different styles of fighting.

I like the direction this thread is taking... :offtopic::jester::whome:

Oh! Oh! Portal!!!
We played the multiplayer part together, quite fun, and some of those puzzles take a bit of head scratching to solve.

" the Journey so far.......and the forums gamers' platform "

I see Diablo and Neverwinter mentioned. Have you seen the indie title Path of Exile ? Really good.

Just saw a Good Game episode ( Australian games TV show you can get on YouTube ) and saw that Kings Quest is getting a major reboot that honours the original very well. Super excited about that as that was my goto series as a kid.

Yeah I stay away from anything too filled with horror. System Shock 2 cured me of that genre, as to this day I here the phrase "silence the discord" in Shoduns creepy AI voice.....

Yes , RedPanda, I edited my profile, and now stand proud to say I gave been a gamer since 1982, when I played my first computer chess game. Not a prolific player, as I love reading too in the evenings, but a gamer nonetheless . GenDemo, looks as if your list matches my hubbies list almost perfectly. I lost count of the new ones he adds every Steam sale.....

• Like 1

Steam sales are evil. And wonderful.

• Like 2

Thanks to RedPanda for pointing me at this - sorry to hijack the journal.

I started off with the Apple ][ Europlus and a few games there, including Wizardry 1, 2 and 3

Then onto the PC with Wizardry, many of the Microprose games - Master of Orion 1 and 2, Master of Magic, F19 Stealth Fighter, F117 Stealth fighter, Darklands - this SHOULD have been a classic, and I WISH some Indie company would take it and rewrite it - the potential in that game was huge - I'd put $300 into the pot if I could be sure they'd keep the spirit.

Sim City, SimWorld, early Sims, Civilization - the original "just one more turn" game. I have no idea how many times I dragged myself to bed just as the neighbour's chickens started to crow ....

Fallout, Fallout 2 - magic, unforgettable games- replayed them at least 8 times.

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 and the expansion packs

Fallout 3 (oh, happy day), Fallout NV and now sphincters clenched for Fallout 4

Civ V

Still got to play KSP (Kerbal Space Program) - I have it thanks to Steam

Mischief managed :holy:

SDTCPT, just chuck us out and tell us to go make our own thread, if it gets too much. :whome:

And I see another 'freak flag' waving! Yay! :ilikeit: (editing of 'Likes/Interest' section.)

Talk about a thread being hijacked, or masterminded, or whatever!

• Like 1

Just a humble console gamer here to give his 5 cents worth... I finished playing 'The Last of Us' last night... man... what a game. :)

Jos...fly your 'freak flag'... ;) (in the section that says 'Interests')

• Like 1

And they're off...

Talk about taking a subject and running with it :ilikeit:

• Like 1

Ok, back to more serious stuff for a moment... not that gaming is not serious (I'm just not good enough at it to make a living off of it.. :cry: )

So as many of the people on the forum has mentioned, the push-back from family has started... from a side which I did not expect, mine! This has left me in a bad mood for most of the week. Which has made me snappy and (I am ashamed to say it) unfortunately the wife took the brunt of my bad mood... But I have a idea to score some points back... lets hope it works.. Don't have any solution for the push-back yet...

Anyway back to gaming...

Might have to go and blow the tanks from under a couple of US kiddies this afternoon when I get home (damn they can get pissy in chat). Might relieve some stress...or cause more depending on the matches I get in WOT. O well...Tankers... YOLO!

I'm sorry to hear that you have push-back from your family. Emigration is one of those topics that can have a very polarising effect on people. Do you know if they're just sad and scared of missing you, or if they feel betrayed and let down in their fight to 'make things work in RSA'? Or if it's a family support thing, like looking after aging parents? If you know why they are 'giving you grief' maybe you can work out how to deal with them?

Maar hoe dit ook al sy, sterkte daarmee. Dis nooit lekker om met familie vas te sit nie.

And yes, blowing up stuff can be very cathartic... :boxing::whome:

:( to push-back

I can relate to a degree - every time I visit my Mom, I get told that soon she will never see me again.........and then the guilt trip starts.

I don't think there is a solution to push-back, other than understanding, tolerance and acceptance from both sides. Us emigrants need to understand that our decision has consequences for a circle of people, and that circle of people need to understand that our decision was not made as a result of something they did / didn't do . I also think that it is assumed that because we made the decision to go, that we don't feel the emotional pain of leaving loved ones behind. Perhaps communicating that the pain goes 2 ways will help. Of course that could result in a 'if you really cared, you would stay' which in turn can lead to'if you really cared, you'd let us go" so it's a lose lose situation when it comes to emotional distress.......

All the best, and hope that your wife understands where your hurt and frustration comes from, and that whatever you have up your sleeve for scoring back brownie points with her works :)

Edited by EmNew
  • Like 1

So is this the hidden gamer thread?

Because I have been on a real Shadow Run kick lately. Hairbrained Schemes have definitely nailed the setting.

Edited by BAndH

How do you lose a Saturday?... start playing Dragon Age 2 that's how...

BUT as September has now made its appearance and I have set Sep as the start date to begin getting everything ready for the move over, I had better not let Hawke out of his estate for the next couple of weekends...

Hell there is a lot to get done. First with the house in order to get it ready to sell, then the sorting and deciding what goes and stays. (The prices I have seen mentioned on the forum for containers are making me think real hard about whether we want to take stuff over, but I think the wife has a point, in that even if we take only a couple of things with, having "our" stuff there might be a good thing... besides I DO NOT want to go through the exercise of getting stuff that both of us like again soon... took helluva long the first time round... )

Lets do this thing...

• Like 2

We just got quoted about R70k for 23m^3, by two different companies. Waiting for the third company to take a look on Friday. (Ok, we are also bringing a new 6ft Venter trailer along, and that's included in the quotes.)

Sterkte met die oppak!

Busy times ahead of you! All the best with the house prep and the sorting etc.

I can recommend Kevin at Econo Trans - worth getting a quote from them. ( based in Paarden Eiland )They are the sister co of Cargo Pak that operates from JHB/Durban, that always gets high praise. I am super impressed so far.

Now that the big pack ( and pre clean / sort ) is done, I can finally go back to ogling at Geralt in his cloth armour ( or not ) as he Witch hunts his way around the map ;)

Edited by EmNew
  • Like 1

Hey @Redpanda

Would love to understand the costs for your Venter. We got our first quote and they advised that we have to pay 5% duties and 10% GST on the value of our 4x4 trailer. You too?

Still getting two more quotes but would appreciate comparing notes. Flip, maar hierdie storie is duur!

Thanks

Carla

We haven't done the final research on importing the Venter yet, we were hoping to get it in after 12 months to avoid import taxes, but it looks like we won't make that. Bought it in June this year and planning to land in Melbourne in May next year.

But I'll let you know what happens. Hehehe... I'll add "Post your findings" on GenDemo's To Do List. We decided the trailer and the air rifle are his babies.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

177 days and counting...

I must say I hate it when I am doing month end journals and my mind starts to wonder... damn thing has made it trip to all the lasts in SA that are coming up in the next 177 days...

my last birthday

our last anniversary

last Christmas

last new years

my wife's last birthday

Those are times spent with friends and family and will be missed.

Enough of all that negative mushroom growth medium... time to start thinking about all the firsts waiting for us in Aus after the 9th of April 2016...

first time on an Airbus A380 (had to plan the flight around this one... the wife REALLY wants to fly in one of those :D )

my first birthday

our first anniversary (wife really wants to go to Greece... tough tekkies Perth will have to do for now. I'll save Greece for a bit later)

wife's first birthday

Same stuff, new place...

Right those journals are not going to write themselves...

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

T minus 153 days...

I must confess I am a bit down the last couple of weeks. Energy is way down and the moermeter is way up... I think it is a combination of the year is getting too long and the time left in RSA is too short, but not short enough...

Lets hope the mini 2nd honeymoon I have planned in 3 weeks helps to lift the spirits. Taking the wife to the place we had our honeymoon for our 5th anniversary...

By then it will be T minus 132 days :ilikeit:

• Like 3

I hadn't counted the days, but it's about 6 months now... Jeez, every time I blink it's closer! It's like that video clip of the cat stalking the camera when "it's not looking"...
video

• Like 1

"Moermeter" ....love it :-)

Hope that the blues go away soon. As I learned recently, embrace them and acknowledge them for what they are. They will go away. The highs and lows of this process are mind boggling........

Those minus days will fly by and crawl all at the same time. You will really appreciate the timeout you're planning, and what a lovely idea - major brownie points to be scored there I am sure :-) All the best for the 3 weeks leading up to your getaway.

• Like 1