South African stereotypes

timothy

What are some prejudicisms against what is viewed as South African stereotypes in Australia?

South Africans are loud and arrogant "let me do that i will be faster / better / you dont know what you are doing"

I have hear a few times that if you at a party or the beach and there is a noisy group it is often south Africans

The my wife had a doctor give he a speech about how south Africans are so racist and that will not be tolerated here.... bit ironic actually.... :)

But we have been here for 3 years and honestly you don't come across it, as mentioned in the other post going on at the moment, a large percentage of the population is an immigrant or first generation so you don't see much intolerance.

• Like 1

The prejudice I have witnessed is that South Africans are:

arrogant,

know it alls,

lazy (because they have had black servants all their lives and have never done any work themselves - actually heard this),

bossy (apparently something to do with the choice of words we use when asking someone to do something)

make terrible tradies (because not prepared to do appy work like clean up afterwards, pack up tools, etc etc)

I have had a few discussions at BBQ's with people who will have a real go at South Africans (normally someone they work with). They of course say I am not like this, but then I get even more offended because don't all prejudicial statements start like that...

Australians seem to be able to differentiate between two catefories of South Africans those with heavy accents and those without. The one's with heavy accents (presumably second language English speakers) get the brunt of their bigotry.

On the plus side: I have had more Aussies who just adore our accents than those who hate it. Often people will ask me on the phone, "Are you South African?" Followed by "I just love your accent, could listen to it all day"

• Like 5

lazy (because they have had black servants all their lives and have never done any work themselves - actually heard this),

I am still wondering about the dishwasher in the office kitchen... does it unpack itself? :-)

• Like 6

Both my husband and I have found that, generally, the ozzies tend to be a bit wary of us Saffers (in the work place). We are definitely seen as arrogant and bossy and until you can prove otherwise, that view will probably stick.

My husband has had comments like : "you're not bad for a South African" and "mate, you're the only South African I know that I actually like". These came after about a week or two of working with them, and he wasn't even aware he was being sussed out.

A guy we met when we first came over was employed in a supervisory role and was having some issues with the guys working under him. After a couple of months, someone suggested to him that he change his tone when giving out instructions........so instead of saying something in the typical "flat tone" Saffer way, add a question mark at the end of the instruction to make it more like a request? And maybe add "mate" to the end of it too. It made the world of difference to his working relationships.

Just as we have a certain culture, the Ozzies do too - we just have to learn to adapt and, in some cases, possibly even make a few changes.

• Like 1

In our experience...we have been met with nothing but friendliness. The people in the area we live in, the people we work with...all open and friendly. So in our own direct experience have had no issues at all.

However, we went out of Sydney by about 2 hours to see someone. Hubby bought some work trousers from a shop in that area. The assistant asked if he was Irish!! When he said he was South African the woman was astonished...she said he was not like the South Africans she had met. When he asked what she meant...she said that South Africans are arrogant and rude.

That is the one and only indication we have had of that stereotype.

• Like 1

...After a couple of months, someone suggested to him that he change his tone when giving out instructions........so instead of saying something in the typical "flat tone" Saffer way, add a question mark at the end of the instruction to make it more like a request? And maybe add "mate" to the end of it too. It made the world of difference to his working relationships.

Just as we have a certain culture, the Ozzies do too - we just have to learn to adapt and, in some cases, possibly even make a few changes.

This is a big part of australian culture.

There is a big overarching emphasis on everybody being equal to their boss. Even if it is not true in practice it is one of the cultural norms australians aspire to.

Australians often will have a questioning rather than demanding tone in their voice. They do it by raising their voice in a questioning tone at the end of a sentence, by offering alternatives to their request (e.g. if you can and aren't busy already). They do this even when they are not genuine choices but are just being polite...it is all part of the "you're equal to me" interaction.

I can understand how a strong south african accent issuing a job instruction in a flat tone could sound very demanding (and therefore insulting) to an Australian ear. It has the potential to seriously overstep cultural norms here.

I'm one of the Australians who loves it when I ring our IINet internet provider and it is the south african's turn (usually female) to answer the support calls (they switch between SA, AUS, NZ depending on time of day). My wife says I usually end up flirting with the lady on the other end...but I just can't help myself they have such nice voices and are very sweet and friendly :)

Edited by Fish
  • Like 4

While all of this is obviously generalising, and there are plenty of demanding Australian born bosses, I would like to doubly emphasise leeferg1's point that I expanded on above...ignoring this advice will often be a very fast ticket to being extremely disliked in Australia.

I'm not sure how it is accepted in South Africa but I would recommend not doing it here at all. Be the boss, but do not use a flat demanding tone. Seriously, you will be very unpopular, very fast.

• Like 1

I concur with Fish

If I hear the familiar accent saying 'hey, can you bring that whatever here, hey!' I run a mile.

• Like 1

Well said Fish.

From another perspective - I spent a few years in Israel, and while I love Israel and her people, their manner can take some getting used to. They come across as extremely blunt and rude, which they are definitely not, it's just their way. Funnily enough, they love South Africans - our culture is very toned down compared to theirs.

One thing I can say, it's far easier to adapt to a "gentler" culture than a more "brash" one.

No matter which country you go to, there's always going to be a cultural difference - it's up to that individual to either fit in or fly off.

@ Fish, I have noticed the questioning way of speaking even with my daughter speaking Afrikaans when we skype. Just that slight higher pitch at the end of her sentence. Hehe. It's quite funny and I don't think she realizes it.

• Like 1

Australians seem to be able to differentiate between two catefories of South Africans those with heavy accents and those without. The one's with heavy accents (presumably second language English speakers) get the brunt of their bigotry.

http://youtu.be/jNJVMJH5OhI

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

South African Stereotypes....... ja boet.....

The general stereotype label I can live with, but its the 'other' habits some of us have that makes me run when I see or hear them.

You can hear and spot 'them'

at a school gathering

in the shops

at the beach

in the banks

in the parks

at work

at the caravan parks

Went to a park with SWAMBO just after we arrived in Oz 4 years ago. Sitting on my camping chair quietly looking around in awe at the other saffers who's been here for years already.

One guy gets introduced to me.

Within 5 minutes I learnt that he still owns two houses in SA. He use to have a farm too but gave it to his brother. The holiday house by the sea is currently in the market for R3mil. How he lost nearly R350k when he had to sell his wife's 4x4 and his Merc and the boat at a loss when they moved over. That he use to be some high flyer in the insurance game. He even showed me a photo (I sh!t you not) that he has in his wallet of his house in Jo'burg somewhere. That he had 85 senior management people under his command. Goes back to SA 2 times a year. .... He then politely asks me what I do for a living here in Oz. I told him I am one the guys who drive those trucks that does the verge bulk collection. He politely excused himself and that was that.... he moved onto the next poor dude.

My wife ran into the same 'problem' at a ladies coffee club that she thought would be a good plan to join in order to meet people. She was also asked what type of job her husband had and if he too was in management for one of the mining companies. eish

I now find GREAT joy (to the utter amusement of my wife) of sometimes thinking up the most terrible job descriptions to tell people (saffers) when we meet them JUST to see some of their reactions and how quickly they remove themselves from my immediate peripheral vision.

• Like 8

Well guys, then you should meet with our crowd here in the North West of Melbourne, we do not care what the husbands do... the ladies do not worry about keeping up with anybody... we are chilled when we go out, and just enjoy the day!

• Like 2

We've been here a year and a half and have only been treated with kindness. Off course you'll get the odd one here and there you just don't click with, but hey we're all human.

We'll be going to visit my Dad and brother in RSA in two week's time and the one young lady at work already offered that we could leave our car at her parents' place in Adelaide so we can save parking money. Today she even offered to take us to the airport as she will also be in Adelaide on that day. This girl I've only known for a couple of months and she has basically gone out of her way to save us 100s of $s!

Some Aussies just knock your socks off when you least expect it! I don't know if it is different in the country than in the city here, but the people here in the small towns are very warm hearted and welcoming.

Edited by CherylC

My ozzie colleagues seem to think I know Oscar Pistorius personally :whome:

I have not experienced any prejudice (unless it was behind my back, which i doubt) and the one colleague I work with (ozzie girl) is extremely abrupt in her manner to such an extent that our boss even comments on it. As for me, I am constantly being corrected on my pronunciation of places (which I something say incorrectly just to tease) because we have a lot of fun with it.

when my colleagues teased me when i said "Cairns" by mistake but perfectly Australian....they apologised and thought maybe they went too far. I explained that I am of the opinion that if your ozzie mates tease you, they like you :) now Im teased constantly and it's a daily banter between the lot of us. I honestly think I could not ask for better colleagues

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

We have such a good team going on that people ask to be assigned to our projects to work with my core team. We play hard and push the limits, but the team spirit is such that people just want to be part of our group. We rag each other, play jokes etc, but I tell you what, when the pressure is on, we are as one.

Its such a pleasure and privalege to be part of that kind of magic. And man, the loyalty!

• 4 weeks later...

I am still wondering about the dishwasher in the office kitchen... does it unpack itself? :-)

Nope, the South African does it! (At MY workplace at least....) :D They will literally use the stuff out of the dishwasher until they run out and there's a huge pile of dishes on the sink and then guess who packs the dishwasher? Moi...

Nope, the South African does it! (At MY workplace at least....) :D They will literally use the stuff out of the dishwasher until they run out and there's a huge pile of dishes on the sink and then guess who packs the dishwasher? Moi...

Ai, Rikkie

Ai, Rikkie

My sentiments exactly!... :boxing: