Sign in to follow this  
Cole

PR189 - How many points got you an EOI and how fast?

Cole

Hi Folks,

My husband has asked me to get in touch and we're hoping you can shed some light for us. Considering the minimum required number of points for a 189 visa is 60 points, I was wondering whether anyone had done an EOI on exactly 60 points and been invited to apply for a 189, and how long it took to be invited on 60 points? By comparison, anyone with 65-70 points, and how long that took?

My husband did his General IELTS in October and got 8-8-6.5-6.5, not individual scores of 7+, so although the requirement for IELTS in terms of positive skills assessment has been met, he won't be granted any points on the EOI points system for his current IELTS score. As it stands, with a positive skills assessment, he would have 60 points, but with a higher IELTS score he could get more points.

He's loathe to write it again, but it's just about the only way to gain more points quickly. Is there any chance that he would be invited to apply for a 189 on 60 points, or would you recommend that he redo IELTS and try to get a better score for EOI? It's his birthday in the middle of next year and he loses 5 points then, so if he has to redo it, better now (in case he has to redo again) than to wait....

Thanks so much in advance.

DXB2OZ

It is absolutely impossible to predict. We got our invitation within six days of applying with only 60 points. Others waited for months. Category, dependants, factors, mood of the person who picks up your application - who knows.

If you have an agent, I would check with them. There's an awful lot riding on this - personally I would redo the test (take some classes - they really help) and not leave anything to chance.

• Like 1

Bigvan07

Same situation here as DXB2OZ,

Did the EOI for a Foundation Phase Teacher and 4 days later on the Monday received the invite for the 189 Visa.

It is difficult to predict the timeline.

• Like 1

Tazzn

We got an invitation very quickly with 70 point s(2 or 3 days) but not sure that makes any difference when it comes to the actual VISA approval.. .feel like we are waiting for ages!

• Like 1

ABC123

Hi Weddingtog,

We lodged our EOI on a Friday with 70 points and got an invitation on the Monday. Not sure what factors affect how quickly the process goes though. Hope you don't have to wait too long!

• Like 1

mattcuz

The EOI invite seems to just be a computer. I submitted my EOI with 65 points. Within 15 minutes of the round opening I had invite.

• Like 1

Capespearo

EOI submitted in mid July with 60 points for a 189 as ICT Business Analyst, still waiting ....... :closedeyes:

OzzieWishes

I submitted EOI in July 2012 with 60 points and got an invite 18 October 2012.

My understanding is that the computer selects and it's done on points. The higher the points the higher the priority, after that, priority is date of submission of EOI. Skill Select has a section (it's awhile since I went on there to check but I spent nearly every day on there when waiting for invite) where you can look at the last round of invites and check scores and dates of those who received applications. You can then work out where you stand.

• Like 1

NewAdventure

I'm a software engineer with 60 points. Submitted EOI 18 June, got invite 10 August. It depends on your career though, there are different quotas for each career group.