End @ the beginning or starting @ the end....

Neels

Wait til Bronwyn is back from her holidays and ask her. She has first hand knowledge.

• Like 1

Not knowing your business, industry, your business health, sustainability and time available so let me ask a few questions:

Can your business run without you (not short periods) meaning "are you working in the business or on the business"?

What will it take to put it under full management?

Are all your business processes well define, documented and your staff strained to follow processes?

Do you have a centralized business management system (ERP) where all the main business functions feeding into it such that it enables you to get up-to-date operations reports, project management progress reports and financial reports. Note the sequence!

How much can you automate or ICT help you to simplify the processes.

Thus make your business attractive before you consider to sell.

Then what will it take to increase sales? Will it be easy and do you have a strategy in place that can achieve that?

After all the above does it offer huge growth potential - and all it needs is external capital?

Consider as part of the exit strategy: What will it take then to list on the Altx or JSE market?

Does it now look attractive for investors: Risk vs ROI

Can you retain a minority % shares, retain a position on the Board and hand over to management and exit with lots of RRRR/$$$$ in the pocket.

Then part of the new growth strategy - expansion into Asia from a small satellite office in Australia :-)

My humble opinion?

• Like 1

Not knowing your business, industry, your business health, sustainability and time available so let me ask a few questions:

Can your business run without you (not short periods) meaning "are you working in the business or on the business"?

What will it take to put it under full management?

Are all your business processes well define, documented and your staff strained to follow processes?

Do you have a centralized business management system (ERP) where all the main business functions feeding into it such that it enables you to get up-to-date operations reports, project management progress reports and financial reports. Note the sequence!

How much can you automate or ICT help you to simplify the processes.

Thus make your business attractive before you consider to sell.

Then what will it take to increase sales? Will it be easy and do you have a strategy in place that can achieve that?

After all the above does it offer huge growth potential - and all it needs is external capital?

Consider as part of the exit strategy: What will it take then to list on the Altx or JSE market?

Does it now look attractive for investors: Risk vs ROI

Can you retain a minority % shares, retain a position on the Board and hand over to management and exit with lots of RRRR/$$$$ in the pocket.

Then part of the new growth strategy - expansion into Asia from a small satellite office in Australia :-)

My humble opinion?

Thanks Ottg

Look the majority of what you mention here is in place. Although not nearly on the scale that would warrant me listing (lol - I wish) Let's rather call mine a "small" business then, of which I am involved in on a daily basis. Hands-on in every way. The systems, procedures and DOC's that I have put in place works and is maintained. It is an attractive business in a lucrative market, but it pains me to say, in the wrong location. And was it 3 years earlier, no problem.... You see, I declined an offer from a previously disadvantaged member of our population that promised me for a R50K per month, their name on my letterhead, would pull all kinds of strings (BBEEE and all that lot) And since then.... steady down hill.

But thanks for your post. I'm sure it'll keep my awake a couple more nights.

Edited by Neels

Another day, another 50 cent.... or something like that. Blue Monday, Blue Tuesday.

I can't honestly say when last I had such a roller coaster ride of emotions. Wait, let me make sure on that....Yes, that's right - NEVER! :boxing:

Except for when dealing with SARS and Dept of Labour :yawn: , I am always in control of things. Okay usually, at least partially B) ... I know what to expect, because I look at all the angles and plan my outcomes and know the consequences of my actions. BUT now, two pieces of paper and one signature is completely out of my control, but in complete control of my (our) future.

16 weeks waiting for my step-daughter's unabridged birth certificate and almost that long waiting for her father to sign Consent Form 1229. Coincidence?

I am worried that my new employer is going loose interest in me. And then what? All that time and money and effort we have invested?.. I have given our Migration Agent instruction the go ahead to get my visa approved separately and then we can add the wife and kids' after we get the rest of the documents. But apparently it's not something that DIBP like to do. But then at least I can get over there in my new role. Start earning some money.. I keep my new employer up to date with mails and phone calls from time to time. And they seem to understand the situation.

This morning our Agent phoned me and informed me that DIBP have requested a few more details about my work experience and other documents regarding my application. It's almost a sense of relieve... They have given me 28 days to respond which is more that ample. I'm sure there must be response from Dept of Home Affairs by then. And it's giving us a little more time to get that form signed. Prayers answered.

• Like 3

And so another weekend is upon us.. And yes, we have visitors again...

My wife's parents from the East Rand and her sister from Bloemfontein. But strangely it's not a hassle for me any more. Knowing that they are making use of each and every opportunity to see us before we depart. Their way of coping with the decision we made. Also good to see their change in attitude towards it all :hug:

And another good thing is that my mother in-law carts off another load of "what-about-this" stuff, every time they visit, making our work a little lighter.. :ilikeit: Win Win for all! Where it all goes....that's another story! Maybe explains my father in-law's new found love for his I-pad - the only person I know spending more time on some kind of device other than my missus.. <_<

But my father in-law also has a hidden agenda.. :ph34r: He thinks I don't know...

You see - Ek like braai kwaai - and here I only use two things to braai with; Hardekool Bosveld wood and Mielie stonke (the ONLY things I know for sure that I will completely and totally miss in Aussie) But any case - I normally have a good supply of both wood and stronke. And he (father in-law) lurks around my wood shed more than usual :glare: hoping that a couple of bags will end up on his Ute - same as last week - same as previous visit....

Let me run - got to go make my world famous BBQ-breakfast :blush-anim-cl:

• Like 3

Well Neels, you will have to befriend yourself a Aus mielie boer first. And then work out what kind of hardwood you like to braai with here. My BIL went round after the recent storms in Sydney with his trailer picking up a huge amounts of wood. I saw him yesterday with a chainsaw cutting his found wood into smaller pieces, for his fire pit and big pizza oven.

• Like 1

The writing is on the wall I tell you!! And never was the time when it was more visible than now. In big bold red letters!!!

And I know all this is happening all over our beautiful country to so many people. But sitting here I am just totally p :censored: ed off and moerig!

Firstly here at my business premises and the industrial area where we are situated, it is now 8 days since a Telkom contractor's incompetent TLB operator has damaged the phone lines. No phones, no internet, no mail = NO BUSINESS. :thumbdown: According to Telkom, the contractor who was at fault can't replace the line because he doesn't have the funds to do so. The very helpful lady at the call center says it is not a Telkom problem.... But they are the ONLY supplier. WTF?? :angry2:

But it gets worse - Picture this: I'm in my Bulls shirt (I know they weren't playing), My man-cave is at full capacity, the biltong, dry wors and snacks are ready, the ice machine is purring, the women are frowning, the kids are laughing, the dogs are hiding and the neighbors are out of town. It's Currie-cup final - kick off in T minus 35 minutes ... Then .... Dead silence, followed by a couple of words I'd rather not repeat here. Gone is our electricity.. T minus 30 minutes.... T minus 25 minutes - NOTHING! :boxing:

Okay, that's why I invested in that generator 3 years ago. So at least we could watch the game, and have a braai, and a few drinks with friends. But from here it just snow ball's.

Due to where our house is situated, normally within 1 hour of the electricity going out, gone is the water. So the remainder of Saturday night, the whole of Sunday up to 4am this morning no electricity. And even now, past 4 pm Monday - still no water. Not only my house, almost our whole town! The council doesn't even bother to answer their phones anymore.

The worst part is that we as South Africans (black, white, pink and yellow) has come to expect it! We have come to take it as just another part of out lives. We have power shedding, but at least we've got generators.... We have no service delivery, but at least we can vote... We get mugged and raped, but at least we're still alive.... :excl:

My wife is in Johannesburg this week for a minor medical procedure, nothing serious. So it's just me and the kids, and because we still have no water, and I don't think they will take kindly to taking another "bucket bath" we are off to some of our friends that live on a farm a couple of km's out of town for a warm bath and a nice meal.....

So we don't have any water, but at least we've got friends :king: ..

• Like 7

AH no Telkom is rubbish :angry2: - THEY must replace your lines. This story of the contractor not having money to fix it is non-sense and an excuse. A friend of mine had no elec or water for days and also had to use friend's bathroom. Yes this is becoming normal and expected, so it doesn't anger people as much anymore <_< . But I'm angry for her and for you. At least you will one day be saying good-riddance and good bye to Eskom, Telkom and the rest... ;)

• Like 1

Ag nee!

Well my parents' line to their small holding in RSA was stolen a few times. (Yip, the actual wire of the line was stolen)

So Telkom has given up on them. Apparently they are deemed not viable for re-instalment of a line.

Therefore they now dont have a landline. And they are old and never hear their cell phones ringing.

They only live like 2 km out of town. So it is not that they are massively rural or anything...

So Telkom does what it wants to.

We are situated inside an Industrial area. There is about 15 businesses affected and even though we are all up in arms, it's like shouting at Ayers Rock.... :censored:

Some of the companies have already resorted to changing to VOX and VOIP (voice over IP - or something..) Small companies like me don't have that kind of funds in our budged. But if I want to go forward in my business, I'll just have to make a plan and come up with the funds..

Aaaah, Neels, now you KNOW there is no selfishness in taking your family over. It is plain common sense and responsibility. How on earth can you care for your loved ones with such a load of non-existing services ? Worst is, you'll still receive your bills regularly. Without the service. Cut and run.

• Like 2

Update - By Tuesday morning at around 4 am we eventually had water in our taps again, The electricity have only been off a few minutes each day. And best of all - our Telkom lines restored today at about 2 pm. So all in all a good week so far. Things are looking up. :ilikeit:

• Like 2

This is official - This will be the last Melbourne Cup Weekend that I'm not in Melbourne..

Come hell or high water...

Earlier I'm talking to all my cousin and some of our friends who are all preparing and packing to go camping and fishing for the weekend. It's a major event in their year. They have been planning for it since my last visit in July, and everybody is involved. Awesome to see how some of the families we know have become so much closer since they made the move.

So much more life to live there! Can't wait.

Edited by Neels
  • Like 2

"A leap of faith, in its most commonly used meaning, is the act of believing in or accepting something intangible or unprovable, or without empirical evidence.[1] It is an act commonly associated with religious belief as many religions consider faith to be an essential element of piety."

Thanks to Wikipedia. :grads:

When does a decision become a leap of faith? Or should I ask how would a leap of faith influence the outcome of a decision? Confusing..

I think some how or other, each and every one of us here has made the decision to take a leap of faith! Why else are we here? Except for that one guy who takes every opportunity to talk crap of make shitty remarks about Australia, we are all here to improve our lives and create a better future for our kids.. Or what?

So why does it feel so wrong some times? Or am I just too blind to heed the warnings or too deaf to hear the Voice saying "not for you"?.. I'm a Christian and I'm a Believer though I'm not walking around with the Bible under one arm, I know that we are worshiping a Living and Loving Awesome God! But I don't hear His voice! I can't hear when or if He says that I should rather stay.. But I can see the open doors, and the ones closed to steer us to the open ones. I can see the doors are open, ready for us to enter, but I can't get to the other side because there are a these chains keeping us tied to the other open doors behind us! Does it make sense? I don't know how else to explain how it feels right now...

Any case - 27 days, then I'm taking that leap. Or have I already taken the leap and will I just land on the other side? Will I land on my feet?

On 30th November I will be boarding a plane to a new life, and there are still so many things weighing me down here. So many things still needs to be done, arranged, sold, bought, packed, sorted, signed, granted, advertised, finalized...

I still don't even know whether my wife and children's visas will be granted before I leave, so I won't know how long it will be before they will be able to join me. If I don't go now, I'll loose this window of opportunity, I'll loose this job. But if I go now, I'll leave my wife and kids to pack the container, to sort out the pets, to close the door and switch off the lights - by themselves! I know they can do it. But isn't that my "job"? Isn't that what I'm supposed to be doing? :unsure: :unsure:

On the up side, I'll be earning AuD$$'s for a while before they arrive. I'll have our house ready, a car... Their "landing" shouldn't be too hard?

Boy these are more emotions than I thought I could ever have in one life, let alone one afternoon. I think this calls for a drink... Then some more sorting out the garage... It was Bon Jovi who said "I'll sleep when I'm dead"...well I'm almost there :ph34r::stretcher: .

• Like 1

Neels, I think these feelings are normal, especially at this time, when everything is not just "sometime in the future" but it is actually "now"!

I personally think it is also very testing for families to be split up for any length of time, as you then go through different roller coasters for different reasons and in different countries with different time zones... It is also very worrying for the person that is leaving RSA and then tends to be very concerned about the family left in RSA!

All you can do at this time is hold onto your FAITH, because you are right, this is definitely a leap of FAITH that you are going to take... just remember that many before you have had the same concerns, but took the leap anyway!

Look forward to meeting you when you arrive in Melbourne!

• Like 2

I second Mara's sentiments. I was once told that because of free will, sometimes we must take the step in faith before we really know, and God will then reveal himself. It's doesn't always happen the other way round where we hear from Him or see the open door first.

You will be ok, Neels! Your family will be ok. You are family after all ?.

Take one day and one small step at a time - that's helped me... Thinking too far ahead about what ifs drove me crazy. Yes, plan, but don't obsess.

And remember this forum is here to support you too ?

• Like 1

Where does the time go? Another week gone, and I'm no closer to my goals for where I need to be with preparations and getting sorted for the container.

I depart for Melbourne in 23 days, of which we won't be home for 5 days... I need to have my office, my workshop, garage, storage shed and Man-cave sorted and ready by then. I won't be here when the container arrives... :unsure: - grounds for divorce, I know, but there's not much choice in the matter. My wife understands the situation, and we know it's going to be difficult for them here while I'm gone, but she is a strong woman and she's got a good support base.

Yesterday afternoon after work, we went to my parents. My father is slightly better after the stroke he suffered in July, but the doctors might have to amputate his left foot due to lack of circulation (years of heavy drinking and smoking taking it's toll) His health is not looking good at all, and I'm worried that I won't be here when the worst happens.. :cry: But I feel I did my part the past couple of years, and although I feel sad, it's not going to stop our 'Leap of Faith'! And that has made me Very unpopular with the rest of my family.

After our visit to my parents, when we got home, I realized my son (turning 7 in a couple of days) didn't seem himself. We are in the process of building a scale model of a Cobra Attack Helicopter, nearing the finishing stages. It's an awesome project and the two of us sit there and talk about everything, he helps with the painting and gluing and gutting etc. I can really recommend it to any dad.

Any case, after a while I asked him what's the matter. "Nee niks nie pappa." (no nothing dad) "I can see something is wrong, you can tell me." He started crying - "I thought we are all going to Australia, now it's only you. Mom is not packing but you take all your stuff.... and it's only you going on the plane..." :cry:

Well I couldn't help but shed a tear right there. Then I realized what he must be thinking... and his sister. We talk to them a lot, they know whats happening, on a broader sense. But we don't give them all the details. We keep them informed, but not up to date. So he must have been thinking that I'm leaving them here...

Needless to say, we got the two of them together. Had a nice sit down family meeting, and told them everything. They seem a bit more at ease, and now actually offer their assistance in helping me, unlike before.

So the reason for my entry today is mainly to share with you the importance of keeping the kids up to date with whats happening. We don't realize what goes on in their minds and what impact "assuming" stuff can have. It can lead to confusion and be completely misunderstood.

• Like 5

Such a great story, Neels . I don't have kids and can only imagine the journey they must be processing if the adults struggle! It's by no means the same, but I realised my mom thought I was going to be sleeping in the park bench..... So I spent some time to give her more details of where I'd be staying initially (showing google pics), and she felt a little better.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. I'm sure he would support you continuing your journey, even though it may be heartbreaking for him too!

I now have 16 days and 12 hours left ..... And before you know it, your to-do list seems to get done. My experience with the movers the other day was fantastic. I did very little to prepare for them, they did absolutely everything.... Even told me to sit on the wrapped chair when I was hovering too much! Your wife should take pics for you and send one or two during the day, and that should also help you keep connected and a little less alone.

• Like 1

Lift-off in 19 days, and I don't get around to the stuff that needs to be done before I depart. I feel like I'm in zero gravity and everything is just floating that couple of inches out of reach....

"Ground control to Major Tom, take your protein pills and put your helmet on...." I think when David Bowie wrote that he must have had this in mind. :ph34r: "Ten, nine, eight...."

I'm tackling my office today. Taking pictures off the walls, certificates, diplomas... My 'Bucket list' from my pin board. I wonder if that will stay in the box, in storage here? Or will it go with, or will I start a new one?

Maybe I should start a new one!

#1 Spend more time with the family

#2 Fall in Love with my Wife again

This evening we have a couple of friends over for a braai. Our farewell to them. When we have our official farewell later, these guys will be on leave already. (un)Fortunately we don't have a very big circle of friends (people who really matter, I'm not talking about the guys at the golf club or people from work etc, I'm talking about real friends) I don't know what to expect, hopefully no tears.

• Like 1

Shame Neels... That zero gravity sounds hectic! Mine turned out to be like a haze... Looking back over the last few months it's all a bit of a blur!

I second having a new bucket list!! This journey definitely helps one really think hard about what is REALLY important to you. New hopes and dreams for a new chapter.

I hope your farewell braai goes well, and that if there are tears, it will be heart-felt.... True friends are life long, no matter the distance or time.

• Like 1

"Ground control to Major Tom, take your protein pills and put your helmet on...." I think when David Bowie wrote that he must have had this in mind. :ph34r: "Ten, nine, eight...."

I lol'ed at this comment. Thanks for making my day brighter and for sharing :lol:

• Like 1

"Seven, six..... Commencing countdown, engines on.."

My wife and my boy is having their birthdays on Monday. Two of my biggest blessings born on the same day... great timing :whome: ..

Any case, I'm taking them on a surprise trip for the weekend to a luxury Game Lodge in Limpopo. One of the things I'll miss from here is the "Bosveld". The sounds and smells and sights. But I'm sure we will soon enough replace it with new places and trips and things to do.

I'm taking off work early today. While I'm still my own boss, I might as well enjoy the liberty.

Best of luck to all the new arrivals, I hope you all settle in nicely. Have a good weekend.

:ilikeit::ilikeit:

• Like 4

Neels, we look forward to meeting you and your family! Just all of you get here safely!

• Like 1