End @ the beginning or starting @ the end....

Neels

"A journal - a daily record of events." I don't think I'll be able to keep it up daily, but let's see...

Today, so many years ago, I stepped off the Qantas plane, returning home after my very first visit to Melbourne, Australia. I was in love. Madly in love! But not only with Australia... You see during that August, a couple of weeks before I went on my trip, I met my wife. She didn't know it then, but I did.

Oh Boy! The first time I saw her I knew, this is it. I was already 36 then. Never married. Professional bachelor. Professional in my career. Doing good for myself, by myself. My whole life planned. But not this. This wasn't part of my plan. My plan was to go visit my cousin, get a job, get a visa and get myself over there..

So my plans changed a little. A year later I asked her to marry me - on top of the Eiffel Tower, she just had to say yes. :ilikeit: And the following year we got married. But I never let go of my plans to move to Oz.

We both started our own businesses, doing okay for ourselves. She had a daughter when we got married and we were blessed with a beautiful boy.

It took me the next 5 years to get her convinced that my dream for us to move to Australia wasn't going to remain just a dream. We started talking about it more often, and the way that things where happening in RSA with the violence and crime and the economy, started swaying her more towards the possibility of a better future for us and the children. And eventually I convinced her to join me on a visit to Australia.

I knew that when she saw the country first hand, and meet the people and see the sights and experience the culture, that it would be easier to change her mind. (That, and I spend countless hours on my knees praying..) So during April 2013, me and my wife went on an official LSD trip to Melbourne and Sydney. And even during our first week there she said "Let's do it.."

When we got back, I started joining job sites, creating profiles, sending cover letters and CV's by the 100's. I must have applied for close to 1000 jobs. Started lining up interviews and made arrangements to go back. I showed the employers that I was 100% committed to do my part. On my own expense, I went over for interviews during February this year. And praise the Lord we got 2 offers. I chose the employer based on the way they treated me during the whole process. The other one paid a little more.

In June I went back to Melbourne to finalize the job offer and the contracts etc. Looked at schools, where to stay how to commute, the whole nine yards. And here we are now... Waiting to hear if our nomination will be positive, and then for our visas be approved.

I think I better go to bed now... :yawn:

• Like 13

Neels, what a wonderful story, keep writing.

If there is anything that we can help with in Melbourne, please PM me.

• Like 1

With this attitude, your life in Oz can only be wonderful. My daughter lives in Melbourne and loves everything the city has to offer and an hours trip on the train they are out in the country.......so much here that I could never have offered my kids in SA.

I wish you and your family a wonderful adventure as you negotiate the many (but doable) steps to join us here in the Land of Oz.

• Like 1

I love it! What a story :) Keep us updated!!

To carry on where I left of last night... (that guy with the sleepy sand got me good - and for a change I actually slept till the alarm clock went off)

When we decided this is what we are going to do, we made a couple of lists and plans. And then we did some more lists, and another plan, and there was another list with a plan..... you get where I'm going?.. When it comes to immigration no list or plan seems to be able to keep up. But at least we know, we have a plan, something to fall back on. Justin.... not Bieber, just in case :whome: .

So we got the job, we got the plan, we got the means. What next? Oh right, there's a couple of forms to download and fill out and print and scan and submit....

Look I have a brilliant mind for business :thumbdown: , and I can create a meal from two cans of sweetcorn and a tomato :sleep1: , but I hate paper work and everything associated with it... So next step - getting a Migration Agent, and that was BTF!.. (before this forum :blush-anim-cl: ) We did a lot of stuff on the fly and with no idea before we discovered this Forum. I think I would have saved a couple of Au$'s if I knew of SAAustralia.org from the start.

Now before I go there; We all have this one friend, that special one that wants to do everything like to others but can't and the one whom you don't really want to take with to the Def Leopard concert or introduce to new people... You know the one? Well I am that guy :jester: , I'm the special needs friend. Or rather that was how I was made to feel once we started looking for a Migration Agent. Flippen hell man! I'm 45, have a successful business, a beautiful wife and gorgeous kids. I can read and write and calculate, but tell a Migration Agent that you are not qualified....

Any case - the job offer I have in Melbourne is in my line of business, in the trades that I have been doing most my life, but only not on the tools, more management. I have excellent business management and customer service skills, that combined with my sparkling personality, makes me an asset for any business. And even if my job title is on the skills list and all of the above, they all (3 agents) just said that mine will be a high risk application and not worth making the effort.. But do I look like I give up that easily :stretcher: ..

The worst part about getting that Migration Agent (MA) is that day when you have to pay his fee. My future employer was unfortunately taken for a ride by a fellow South African, so understandably not prepared to hog out another wad of cash. So apart from paying their share of the nomination application and half of our visa cost, the rest is out of our cookie jar.. As I said earlier, this all was BTF! Now as my luck would have it, shortly after I made that payment to the MA, the communication between him and me ceased completely. He didn't return my calls, he didn't respond to my mails. And the damn devil sitting behind my good ear tells me all sorts of tales and not helping my paranoid state of mind at all. How am I going to tell the missus all that money is gone?.. :oops:

Fortunately for my crown jewels and other body parts, after a couple of very stressful days and nights, Bill phoned me and explained a personal issue caused him to be unavailable, but that he is back in the saddle and taking our case by the horns (Yes, I am a Bulls supporter) Phew! I almost started smoking again.

I believe we are in good hands with Bill our MA. He keeps me and my new employer updated and helped me tweak my CV and reference letters. He keeps us informed with everything that's needed. Our medicals are next week, because we live about 3 hrs drive from the nearest panel medical examiner. Almost all our documents are in, except for my wife and daughter's unabridged birth certificates. It's been 13 weeks now... Still nothing. Mine was about 9 days and my son's about 16 - why on earth would theirs take so long?..

So we are sorted :ilikeit: !.. Or are we?

Edited by Neels
  • Like 1

And so we are entering week 15!... And still no unabridged birth certificates for my wife and step-daughter. :yawn::unsure: If only I knew that I could pay somebody else to do it.. Skoolgeld..! I'm sure it all happens as it should, and when it should.

Shhh! Don't tell my wife I said something... But she is getting more agitated (a little more that usual :holy: ) with me as each day goes by that I can't give her a date when what will happen! The only 2 things that's holding up our visa application at this stage is these unabridged certificates and our medical examinations.

At least we are doing our medicals on Friday morning, as for the rest.. Who knows..?

• Like 1

The not-knowing-a-date thing will drive you insane if you dont watch it. :blink:

Be prepared for it!

• Like 2

Love your writing style Neels. Good luck. All that is standing between us and our Visa as the dreaded Form 80... :sleep1:

• Like 1

Can you believe it? Just after I gave our local Dept of Home Affairs Office the reverse 'thumbs-up' yesterday. :thumbdown: They surprise us with my wife's unabridged birth certificate... Goodie. Now it's only my daughter's we need.

Me and the family went on a road trip today. Did our Medical Examinations in Rosebank and our X-ray's just across the road. I have to commend the great service we got from Dr Jonathan Klotnick and his staff! He made us all feel very comfortable, and sorted out a small mistake made on the forms by our Agent.

All of a sudden our 6 year old boy, who has no problem exposing himself to take a leak in public :blush: , doesn't want the doctor to see him in his panna... Not to mention the stage fright when he had to wee in the little cup... But all in all, a very good experience. Even our 13 year old daughter was at ease. I would highly recommend the trip to Rosebank for the medicals.

The only negative for the whole day... the mini-bus Taxis. I can handle the inconsiderate and very impatient drivers. But those guys.. :boxing: . I say no more!..

Edited by Neels

Dear Neels,

I enjoy your posts, thank you for sharing your story.

My husband and I needed unabridged birth certificates and anticipated the deadly long wait. Instead of using a busy Home Affairs in Pta or Joburg we used one in a small town an hour away. Met a nice Afrikaans lady and pleaded our case of urgency. It was done in 3 weeks. Phew!

She received an anonymous box of chocolates.

Waiting for the visa was the worst, when you have handed in all documents and there is nothing left for you to do. Life stops and you are held between 2 possibilities: you get the visa and go or you're denied and are crushed. My hubby's medical results were transferred to another medical officer so we feared he wouldn't pass. Luckily it worked out in our favour, but that wait was torturous.

For anyone waiting for documents from Home Affairs. Don't wait past the recommended period. I was told my marriage certificate would take 3 - 6 months and I must wait for an sms to collect it. I waited 9 months - no sms. I went back to them. They forgot to sms me and my certificate was going to be disposed of because "nobody claimed it" Agh :thumbdown:

• Like 2

PTLF,

If you need help, I still have a most excellent contact in HA, who can err, help you with your doccos if you need.

PTLF,

If you need help, I still have a most excellent contact in HA, who can err, help you with your doccos if you need.

SurferMan

Jy is mos my maatjie?.... I'm going to take you up on that one. Week 15 and counting - my new employer is understandably getting a little edgy :glare: . And I know they might find it difficult to get someone to replace me :whome: , I don't want them to start looking at options.

Thanks for the offer SurferMan. Luckily all docs finished. Home Affairs will never see me again if I can help it!

So... :huh: It is/was the weekend after we did our medicals..

Having taken off work Friday, we (and it doesn't include me) decided to spend the weekend with my in-laws on the East Rand. Now just to give you a Geography lesson here.. :grads: we live about 3 hrs drive from Jhb and Pretoria. So the comfort of my well stocked and very 'organised' man cave was completely out of reach for the weekend. At least my team did well.

Now please believe me when I say that I have nothing against my in-laws... It's the things they say and do and the way I respond to it that causes the problems. But after years of misunderstanding, I finally discovered a "cure"...in the form a square green bottle. Now I just smile and wave, smile and wave. How does the saying go?..."Happy wife, happy life." :holy:

Officially I am the bad guy. They (in-laws) knew about our plans to move to Australia from the start, but after getting our medicals done on Friday, it just now seems a little too real for their liking. Starting off Friday evening was lot's of but this and but that.. Then during Saturday (also the last of the 1st square green bottle) it was what if this and what if that... Later Saturday night, they started asking about schools and shops, and by this morning before we left they started looking at Google Earth images of the suburbs and reading posts on this forum. You see where "smile and wave" got me? (Ok, that and one and a half square green bottles of Jagermeister)

That chapter not concluded, but it seems a positive outcome for now. And I must admit, I feel a whole lot more at ease after a weekend of discussions with my in-laws. Even the kids are a little more comfortable with the whole idea.

Wink wink - happy wife...

Edited by Neels
  • Like 1

The problem with doing this Journal thing is like visiting the shrink... in your mind there is nothing worth sharing until you start talking, then you can't shut up. The difference however is to be able to go back to edit out the swear words and be able to spell check. Dankie tog! :whome:

The more I sit and take the time to write stuff down, the more I realize the importance of being able to share your thoughts. Not only the fact that you get stuff off your chest, but sitting back and reading it gives you a new perspective of whats going on. And, if penning down what's happening to me and my family during this epic journey of self discovery and adventure into the unknown, can help only one other person, well then I have one more thing to smile about. :king:

Yesterday I shared how our doing the Medical examinations on Friday made this all seem so much more real to our parents and close family. But lying in bed last night not able to sleep (again), I'm thinking "this is it mate, balls to the wall"... This is what we prayed for, for so long. This is the dream we were dreaming to live...

I have three major concerns at this stage - 1) my father's health, 2) consent form 1229 and 3) my business...

My father's health have been going downhill for the past couple of years. All the years of HEAVY drinking and smoking has caught up with him. He's only 70, but had a couple of close shaves the past few years. The latest was a massive stroke, just the week after I returned from Melbourne in July. They live on a meager state pension, and I have been blessed to be able to help them with some cash and paying for stuff where needed. They are in a small apartment a couple of minutes from our house and my mother has to do everything for him. And that worries me that we'll just leave them behind, her with all the responsibility. Okay, granted, I have 3 sisters, and maybe now it's their time to shine. Other worry - I'm sure that I will not be able to fly back home for a funeral within the first year. What kind of son am I then? :thumbdown:

Am I selfish?? :cry: Not worrying about them, but rather thinking of our future?? Rather wait and see what happens with his health?. Wait and loose the job offer on the table?

Almost the same story with my in-laws. They are more financially independent, but there's also health issues. My wife, her sister, their parents and the kids are all very close. Same questions: Am I selfish???.....

Here comes the conflict... I think not!! I'm not married to them! They had their life, they had their opportunities - this is my time, our time. The future of my 6 year old boy and my 13 year old daughter. I'm sure that doesn't make me selfish!

• Like 8

My in-laws didn't ask what-if questions but did argue saying things like "its not greener on the other side". When that didn't work they said things like "your children will be psychologically scarred growing up without grandparents". :glare:

We know it is only out of love, and we will really miss them.

Neels,

I just read your latest post. It is a difficult situation and may leave you feeling very guilty if you leave and something happens. It's a sensitive subject that I do not plan on giving any advice on because I am not in that situation at all and am blessed that I am leaving my parents in healthy condition. I know I will see them again. But I do have heart ache when I think about my grandparents, and must fight back a tear. Its difficult.Your life is now directed on your children, as it should be because you are a parent. I'm sorry to hear about the health of your dad. I hope everything works out as it should be.

• Like 1

Neels, there's no right or wrong I believe - just what you feel is best for you. I don't believe you're selfish, it shows you have a heart!

Not much in this journey is smooth sailing, so I wish you peace in your heart and as much quality time and precious memories with your loved ones as you can get.

And keep journaling - you're helping us too :)

• Like 3

It's never easy leaving family. I left when my mother had just finished cancer treatment and was not out of the woods. We phoned every week and just lived on the bare essentials so that we could afford it. I also kept $2,000 in an account as my emergency plane ticket money in case I had to make an urgent dash back to see her. She knew I would come back and I had piece of mind that I could afford it. It is tough but this is your time - we all only get one life, one shot. This is yours :)

• Like 4

Ahhh the evil consent form 1229. What can I say?

When I presented it to my ex. He refused to sign it.

Then he tried blackmail. IF he signs it, then he wants more access, more this, more that, less maintenance etc

I bluffed: We will take him to court to sign it, and if a judge thinks it is better in Aus than RSA, then HE will have to pay all those fees. And I could prove statistically that is is better with education, safety etc, because it trumps RSA on every level.

If he cared about his son(or vice versa), it wouldve been a different story. We wouldve worked out a solution that suited both parties... But he doesnt and everything always had to go through a lawyer with him. (And he himself doesnt even live in RSA!)

But asking him to sign was a major power trip for him!

In the end he signed.

Thank goodness.

As for family, grandparents? I cant help. Our are still guilt tripping us. And it is working. I feel very guilty. :cry:

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses.

Yeah Eyebrow, evil is just one of the 4 letter words that can describe that form 1229. And "Power trip" - that's it, 110% on the mark. This bloody :censored: , can only do one thing good and that is making our life's hell. He doesn't give a crap about the child, doesn't even know her any more, but now all of a sudden "it's in her best interest that I don't sign, what future will she have without me?"

This subject and this person unfortunately brings out the worst in me. He doesn't deserve all this air time, if I may call it that.. So let's leave it at that. It's good to know we have support out here, and that other have struggled with the same issue.

• Like 1

End of the week...end of my line..!

Eish, I'm glad this one is over. Boy if I ever deserved that Jack Daniel's it's this evening. Can't wait.

My receptionist is on maternity leave, and the temps we got never made it past the first week - so check for reception and manning the phones

My PA has personal issues that just never end - so check for admin and office work

My spray painter's wife gave birth to a not so healthy boy on Monday - so check for back on the tools

So I'm chief, bottle washer and cook. The worst they will do is get me under - Down Under.. :king:

That brings me to my 3rd concern; My Business - I started this business from scratch in June 2007. Begged, borrowed and didn't steal :blush-anim-cl: Today, 7 and a bit years later I have a reasonably stable business. A very good customer base, loyal employees (yeah believe that..) We have grown from just myself and 2 assistants to myself and 14 employees.

The million rand question - do I keep it and manage it remotely, or do I sell it and cut and run?..

The first option is a very emotional one - I have a lot of trust in my current Workshop Manager and I know he is committed to the business. So I increase his share, leave him in charge with the day to day running and help him by managing the rest remotely (meaning from Australia via Skype and all the nice business tools available) We have done it before, but only for a few weeks at a time. But what if he runs it into the ground, But what if..........

My second option is really not even an option in my view. The economy is dead, I'll get nothing close to what I think it should be worth. But at least I'll get something, and have a couple $100k in the bank in Aussie.

But I don't want to sell it, and I also don't want to loose it. So I pray that with all the other things that still need to happen that this is also one that will just fall into place. We have an awesome God, and I know we shouldn't question his Ways, but human nature makes us a doubtful species!.. And Trust is something we don't easily give into.

• Like 1

Trust me, it be almost impossible to run remotely. No matter how good and loyal you think the staff is. Cut, run and put all your efforts in your Aus future. Option one will shorten your life.

• Like 2

Unfortunately my advice is also to cut and run.. You need to have all you can give to settling your life in Australia, not complicating it with your ex life in RSA! We sold our engineering business, after eight hardworking years, which had 34 employees.

• Like 2

Regardless of what may happen to your business, no one can ever take away the success YOU made of it. Very tough choice though, trust God and know He'll always guide you to something better, even though it feels the opposite now. Best of luck, Neels

• Like 1