Apparently it is now!

Eyebrow

I am not liking my job much. :unsure:

Ka-blammoh!

After things going well now this!

The problem is... it is a 457. (All you lucky PR peeps wont understand the fear that goes along with this)

So, keep going. I at least need to finish my training period.

Yep, we just got our PR, nearly 3 years from landing, it is really rough, stick it out make sure you come across as a team player and they will hopefully sponsor you for PR, or look at applying yourself now for one of the normal PR's

It is a long and tense wait though, but we didnt have an option but to wait it out

• Like 1

Hang in there Eyebrow. My husband felt the same way after starting his job, he wanted to turn and run after a few days. Also in the same boat on a 457, and jobs in his field are pretty scarce both here and there. He definitely had to hit the ground running, but I won't bore you with all the details.

After almost 3 months there now, things have settled down a bit, he is starting to make some friends and it's starting to feel a bit more like home for him and he can't wait for us to join him.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How you doing Eyebrow? Been thinking about you lately and hoping that 'survival mode' is getting you through these first tough few weeks!

Edited by Kurkprop
  • Like 1

Eyebrow, your journey and how brave you are really touched me and I am also thinking of you and hoping that everything is well on your side.

• Like 1

Our container arrived today.

First time in a bed in 7 weeks tonight! Am so looking forward to it.

The Aus guys were so quick. What took 2 days to pack, took 3 hours to unload.

I am happy to have our things, but also sad. I have gotten used to the simplified life for the past 7 weeks with just the bare basics.

3 pots only, One veg, one starch, one for meat. Now suddenly it is a million pots, slow cooker, pressure cooker and everything in between!

Nothing was checked! Not the medicine, paint ball gun or spices. All made it through, no worries! Mrs Balls and Rajah curry here we come! :ilikeit:

Suddenly it is very real. We are here, and NOT there. :glare:

Not sure it is completely what I want, because so much was given up at the other side. But it is what we have. And I will give it the 1000 days.

So far I love a lot about Aus. And its people. But there is a dark side that I am just beginning to see. Or maybe it was there all a long and I just didnt want to see it?

Anyhoo, 1000 days... My new mantra.

PS A bit miffed at the removal company. I asked them explicitly if the price was everything from door to door. And they said yes. Nothing more except if something needed to get fumigated or incinerated. (Which one can understand). Then suddenly AQIS fees needed to be paid, and low and behold, when I went back over contract with fine tooth comb, there it was...Aqis excluded... But that is not what they told me verbally. Grrrrrr. I would have gone with them anyway, so they didnt need to lie to me to get my custom. Wont use them again now... :angry2:

• Like 1

Good to hear from you again...

Thanks for the update. Hope there is some improvement now that all your personal goods have arrived.

hi eyebrow , have been keeping track of you journey and it has been a very emotional, and not often easy , one. Reading your last post its clear that the initial gloss of the new land is starting to fade somewhat, which is normal for everyone. I am quite interested in what you called "the dark side" which I know has nothing to do with the new Star Wars trailer ;) Care to speak a bit more about what you have seen and feel ?

RosFam, I have issues with my employer.

Things are not as I was led to believe.

1. I was told I could get free accommodation for first 3 months to help bridge the gap of the move and get time to settle. I was very grateful, because money is tight. I kept asking where it was, but emails were vague, and I was told not to worry. Week before I was due to come I started panicking and rang the employer, the accommodation was a house on Philip Island, and the office is in the CBD! 2 hour commute by car each way! No schools, no nothing in the area. So I got own house asap. As ours in RSA was sold and tickets booked. :angry2:

2. I was told I could get a work car for site visits. When I got here. The car is at the mechanic. And was for 3 weeks. Then I needed to go out to rural areas. Car not ready. When I asked, told that he doesnt know whether car will be ready in time. And I needed to make own way there. When I complained he said it is not his problem, and that I knew I had to go to far away places before I took the job. And he walked off. I have had to buy a car now to travel. :angry2:

3. When I got my first pay check the amount was a lot less than I worked out I should get. I recalculated with that website that helps you, but still it was less. http://www.paycalculator.com.au/ When I enquired, I was told that the amount they quoted as a salary was inclusive of super, (but I was told before I came the super is on top of that amount!) So suddenly my salary is 10% less than I thought it was going to be! And with 5 people living off it, we have not been able to live on the money and am supplementing from savings to fund our stay here. We are moving backward instead of forward! :angry2:

I went back to see what was in writing, And the paper work is a mess. We have papers that rival a phone book in number. Job offer, amended job offer, job description, contract. And none of them agree with the other document. And the contract was sent to the immigration lawyer that we used directly to give to DIBP. So I didnt get it until after it was submitted and as an attachment in an email that had 8 other documents attached to it. . But that has an addendum in small print that says super is inclusive at the bottom of the last page. I did not actually sign this contract. It was just handed in to DIBP. It also has a confidentiality clause that sates that I am not allowed to talk about anything in the business to anyone outside! And a 10km clause, which states that I am not allowed to work within 10km of any of the sites which belong to him for 12 months after leaving his employ! Which almost makes the entire Melbourne a no go area for me.

4. I was told that the previous person who did my job left because he wasnt up to the job, too precious and not a team player. And that they will keep the job for me because I am so "special". When I get here, the other people in the business tells me what a nice guy he was, how they all liked him, and how they dont blame him for leaving... :blink:

I am knee deep in no 2 at the moment! What do I say/do? He holds my sponsorship. I leave my job, I leave the country... :cry:

I am so surprised. He was so nice to me until we sat foot on shore, now I cant do anything right. :angry2:

Oh no Eyebrow!! :(:(:(:angry::angry:

I see the power play here - he knows you can't quit now, so he can do almost anything he wants. He sounds awful, like he tricked you...Us South Africans are so eager for the golden ticket to Aus that we'll gladly take any opportunity, and maybe that makes us vulnerable. Your experience is very important for all of us out there. Aus is not all roses and honesty...

How much longer do you have to work for him? Until citizenship?? :unsure:

I am so sorry you are going through this Eyebrow! It is so hard being on the 457 knowing they hold your future in their hands and there is nothing you can do about it, unless you leave or find another sponsor. Easier said than done! Although our situation is slightly different to yours, we have also been very disillusioned by my hubby's employer who recruited him. He arrived to be told that the business was actually in the process of being sold, and from what we have come to realise, he was in fact part of the deal. The new employers have been great, and are honouring all aspects of his agreement, and then some, however it still leaves a very bad taste in the mouth when you are promised one thing and get something completely different. People will tell you whatever they think you want to hear to suit their own ends! It is so hard when you have uprooted your family and are now obligated to that person. I think of you often, especially being on the 457 as well! Hang in there, and I really hope things start to improve for you soon. Big hugs xx

Awe Eyebrow, I'm so sorry to hear about the issues with your employer. We spend so much of our waking time, our physical and emotional energy at work, that having it not be a good space is soul destroying!

I don't have any advice, but know that you're in our prayers - and we specifically pray for a resolution or change in whatever form that may be.

Edited by CandiceW
  • Like 1

This exact scenario happened to countless Zimbabwean families who migrated to South Africa. Promised the world and then renege after the fact.

My advice: just suck it up as hard as that is. His 10 km clause won't hold up in court and he would have to go to the trouble of going to court to fight it. Since you didn't actually sign the final contract he won't have a leg to stand on. These exclusion clauses usually rely on compliance by the employee. Being unable to work in the whole of Melbourne due to his scattered sites would be seen as unrealistic by the courts as you can't earn an income. As for not talking about anything in the business - what is he - the speech police? We all use experience in previous jobs to suggest improvements or opportunities in new positions. Patented info is different but operations are fair game.

So head down and we'll press that fast forward button for you. Keep your eye on the prize and don't let the bumps along the way break your concentration. Vent away here of course but just keep on keeping on...

• Like 2

I really wish I had advice that didn't include cattle-prods, axes, shovels and removing DNA evidence .....

What a piece of sh1t this man must be.

I have have never run into anything like this.

I suspect Crisplet has the right of it, though - many of his conditions are just unrealistic.

Hi Eyebrow....sorry about this crappy employer. Just hang in there. Nothing prevents you of course to look for other work that would be willing to sponsor?

I hope you get this sorted out soon. With all that you have gone through and achieved, you don't need this as well.

I dont see an immediate way out.

I have to finish my training period at least. Without that my qualification is not recognised even!

Getting another sponsor is trickier that most, because I not only need a visa sponsor, but also someone who will sign as guarantor for the cost my child may incur the government. And that will make the most willing sponsor baulk...

That was why I was so surprised that he was willng to sign it... Now I suspect I know why. Because I cant just up and leave like all the others he has sponsored. And apparently all the others before me who did the job I was doing, were sponsored foreigners. :-(

He sounds like a piece of crap ..... (sorry - it's late on Saturday) ...

OK I have a problem...

I am gaining weight at a rapid rate!

Initially my clothes felt a little tighter, but I could lie to myself because my scale was in the container.

When it arrived, and I finally weighed myself it was a moment of shock and surprise. :o But I felt confident that I could turn this around,

But I haven't been able to! 7.3kg in 10 weeks. Is that even possible?

It started off as a "I want to taste everything Australian" munch fest, and then it turned into a "working the whole time and little control over my own life" continuation of previous feeding frenzy... :blush:

I eat when I am a bit depro... And I have to admit that I have not been very happy just lately.

But I am going to be in big trouble should I continue down this slippery slope. :angry2:

Anyone else with this issue? Or any ideas?

Yip Eyebrows-I totally identify with this!

Since coming to Australia, it's the first time in my life I have put on weight.

It's got a lot to do with " comfort eating" -so whenever I feel down, that good sweet snack, or golden brown fry makes me feel a whole lot better.

It becomes a vicious cycle, and although I know the cause, I do not quite know what the solution is.

Also, in SA I would bump into people in the mall etc., and I cared what I looked like.

Here, I do not know anybody, so who cares? I will not bump into anyone who will tell all her friends how fat I have become. It's a real vanity issue-I am seriously considering a trip back to SA, so I can pull myself together. I will definitely diet before I go, I would rather die than go back home fat.

This might sound awfully shallow-but desperate measures are needed here. ( I am only joking)

Eyebrows-I am sorry you are feeling badly, this move is harder than anyone can imagine, depending on your circumstances.

As things improve(and they will) you will get back to a more normal eating pattern. It all just takes time!

Every time you eat, eat consciously, really think about what you are eating and why. Are you really hungry-or do you just need comfort?

Eat slowly , chew your food carefully, and be mindful of everything you consume. Good luck!!

Hi Eyebrow have walked the same path you are on with a complete tosser of a boss (and the accompanying weight gain-stress reaction!) If there is one thing I have learnt is that we do have rights as an employee but they are not easy to access i.e. get the support you need especially on the 457 visa) I learnt two things that have helped me - diarise EVERYTHING-dates, times, what was said, who said it and was it in the presence of anybody else and the second thing is to say to your boss "I seem to be getting things wrong so please e-mail instructions etc so I can use these to check that I am doing my work the way you would like it done" Chances are he won't but I found it helpful to find non-confrontational ways to deal with the boss. I also learnt to never go into a meeting with her until I knew what the meeting was about, I used to ask for a short agenda by e-mail which of course she never wanted to give me and after I realised what a bully she was,I never went into a meeting again without having another person there.......I feel for you, it is a helluva hard road to walk but like Crisp.et said don't take you eye off the goal. Living here in Oz has so many many benefits but sometimes it takes time to get there. We are now in our 10th year and things are good. I have learnt a lot especially how to stand up for myself . Hang in there.

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice joweni.

I have now started documenting. And I am going to try and get a witness in there for the meetings. Harder said than done. Because the meetings are always impromptu. Usually when I am just about to leave after the end of the day. So after 5!

With the impromptu meetings try getting into the habit of saying "gotta dash - have another appointment (don't mention kids!). Email me and I'll get the info to you"

That way you put off the meeting til morning when there will be people around. When you get to work make a point of finding him to go over whatever it was so that you are seen as proactive. Any meetings after 5 pm are overtime in my book. I used to half joke with my Aussie boss that I was "off the clock right now" but would be happy to discuss in the morning". He got the message.

The end result will be worth it and in years to come this will be your war story about your move to Australia. Chin up. We are with you :)

• Like 2