Apparently it is now!

Eyebrow

It's over!! You've made it. Just think about that achievement!!

About the nappies. I also used Pampers for both my kids, but found here that Aldi's nappies are pretty good and cheap. You pay a fortune for Huggies and I've never had any issues with Aldi nappies.

Hi. The problem is my kids are older and still needs nappies. Therefore only the size 6 pampers fit them. Neither huggies nor the Aldi brand is big enough! I NEED the Pampers! Otherwise it will have to be the XS adult nappies which work out $1/ nappy!!!

Eyebrow, One day you'll look back on this and you'll one heck of a story to tell!! ☺️

Well done for taking it day by day - do what's best for YOU and works for YOU!

I've added "find a kmart" to my list of things to do when I arrive...

Not to worry. K-mart will find YOU! :whome:

Pampers online: http://www.pampersnappies.com.au

If you're stuck these people seem to do large sizes and available at many stores: https://www.babylovenappies.com.au/junior-nappy-pants/

Where to buy: https://www.babylovenappies.com.au/where-to-buy/

Not to worry. K-mart will find YOU! :whome:

and Big W and Target and Harris Scarfe etc :)

Edited by Fish
  • Like 2

One thing I did not take into account with having a house with no bath is that I now have nowhere to wash the clothes!

Container arriving in 8-10 w. And that is where the washing machine currently finds itself.

So I google and off we go to nearest laundrette. $5 per wash (and after 3 days we somehow had 2 washes of stuff) plus $1 per 7,5 min drying time! Sjoe! AT this rate we will have paid for a new washing machine by the time ours arrives!

I tried to get a big bucket, but the biggest one I could find between K-mart and those reject shops was not big enough do do much in.

One thing I did not take into account with having a house with no bath is that I now have nowhere to wash the clothes!

Container arriving in 8-10 w. And that is where the washing machine currently finds itself.

So I google and off we go to nearest laundrette. $5 per wash (and after 3 days we somehow had 2 washes of stuff) plus $1 per 7,5 min drying time! Sjoe! AT this rate we will have paid for a new washing machine by the time ours arrives!

I tried to get a big bucket, but the biggest one I could find between K-mart and those reject shops was not big enough do do much in.

Bunnings maybe? http://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/storage-cleaning/cleaning/buckets-basins-pails/buckets-basin?gclid=CjwKEAjw2MOhBRCq-Nr87_j-lDASJAAl4FNhI56qKfbIJc31qYcY6iOifrrme6xuwJ2N4-VKisuXIxoCEdzw_wcB

Masters has a bigger 25L one: https://www.masters.com.au/cleaning-storage/buckets

Howards Storage World has this 45 L one though not sure if suitable ? http://www.hsw.com.au/index.php?product&id_prod=4618&id_cat=109&id_dept=646#.VDFI7r7jT-Y

Edited by Fish

Have you tried Costco eyebrow...they have stocked pampers in the past ?

Haha. No. I have not moved past K-mart yet! :whome:

I have only been here 4 days. But I will look for Costco!

But thanks for that website!

Not sure if it is economical eyebrow but here is a place you can ring to find out how much to rent a washer for 2 months: https://www.radio-rentals.com.au/short-term-rentals

Used for $220 with 3 month warranty. Could sell it after yours arrives: http://www.dmsappliances.com.au/apps/webstore/products/show/5260323

Edited by Fish
  • Like 1

Just buy one bag of Adi nappies, the biggest size, and give it a go. Would be great if it did fit. Good find on the laundrette. Go wash the stuff and take it home to hang out. You do have a washing line?

Feel free to disregard any of the above advice.

Edited by rozellem

Look for a washing machine on freecycle.org. We got one for free, replaced a periched pipe ($20) and used it till our container arrived. I then sold the repaired machine for $100 :)

• Like 3

Not sure if it is economical eyebrow but here is a place you can ring to find out how much to rent a washer for 2 months: https://www.radio-rentals.com.au/short-term-rentals

Used for $220 with 3 month warranty. Could sell it after yours arrives: http://www.dmsappliances.com.au/apps/webstore/products/show/5260323

Thanks for that idea. It is not even something I considered. Seeing as we dont have this in South Africa.

Just buy one bag of Adi nappies, the biggest size, and give it a go. Would be great if it did fit. Good find on the laundrette. Go wash the stuff and take it home to hang out. You do have a washing line?

Feel free to disregard any of the above advice.

I did! And Coles' own brand and Huggies.

but both too small. They are stingy with the waist elastic. While Pampers are really generous.

My 6y old still in nappies. That is why I need bigger ones!

Today was 1st school day of new term in VIC.

I was sooo apprehensive.

Took my 12j old to new school. With aid of Google Maps (my new best friend, although my phone's battery rarely makes it through the day now!) :closedeyes:

And said at reception he is new enrolment student. And they took us to his class where his teacher was eating chocolate and joking with the kids.

I apologised that he cant speak English very well. And had not been schooled in English before. Upon which his teacher said that he himself can only speak one language and therefore my son is worthy of his (the teacher's) respect!

My mouth hung open. No teacher has ever said that he respects my son! :blink:

My son told the teacher his name, and the teacher said: "I think I can remember that" and with that 2 boys came and chatted to him and he didnt want me to hug him and say goodbye or anything! :wub:

He came back from school and said he had fun. Apparently at assembly they sang the National Anthem, with some one in his class muttering "thats not fair" each time after they sang the words Advance Australia Fair (which my son thought was hilarious...) And he asked us to teach him the Anthem. Uhhhh. Well, not us. Maybe google can help here hon... :wacko:

The 6j old also went to school. Not even in uniform. And they came and took him to class. I expected major resistance, but his teacher was mega firm. And just made him go with her and made us leave and no tantrums or anything. ( Not from him, or us for that matter :P ). When I came to pick him up, he was helping her put stuff away! WTH? I cant ever get him to help. Of course when he saw me, that stopped very quickly! She spoke with very clear language and sign language at the same time. And he was engaged. Very impressive!

He wanted to go home asap, but she said that he was very good. I was so happy. :D

My 3j old needs to apply for kindie next year. And that is it.

Hope this positive trend continues!

I can go to bed happy tonight.

• Like 9

So good to hear, when your kids are happy mommy is happy and happy mommy means the whole family is happy... must be so relaxing seeing the kids slot in easily. Keep it coming, loving your adventure :)

OH and PS Thanks to the one who posted the pampers link SO COOL! I love pampers, huggies leak on my baby for some odd random reason. Happy to know I can find the diapers. xx

• Like 2

What about a second hand washer from www.gumtree.com.au ? Sell it when yours arrive. Thanks for all your journal posts, it gives a little insight and ideas of what we might expect when we get there ...

• Like 2

What about a second hand washer from www.gumtree.com.au ? Sell it when yours arrive. Thanks for all your journal posts, it gives a little insight and ideas of what we might expect when we get there ...

Also search for the adds that says "moving overseas" - they are usually desperate to sell. :whome:

And don`t discard the "freebies" section...

• Like 2

3 observations and 1 question

1. I thought living next to the station would be mucho convenient. Just walk 100m from home, get on the train, and voila I am at work. What I didnt take into account is that now we can hear the train! :unsure: And the ding, ding, ding of the crossing beams dropping. Every 10 min. Great. Not.

2. The meat here is amazing. I have this one chicken breast recipe where I stir fry it with garlic, ginger and chicken spice. Then dish up kids' food, then add coconut milk and green curry for the adults. I made chicken breasts bought at coles. There were only 2 in the packet, and it was $9.80 for it. I was shocked. The breasts were huge though. So the same size as 4 RSA chicken breasts. And when I cooked them, NO water came out. When you cook stuff in South Africa, the meat releases a load of water and it ends up boiling instead of frying, and therefore tough. But no this was the best chicken breasts I have ever eaten. We also made steak bought at Aldi's. And the same thing, no massively watery pan. Very impressed.

3. My 12y old son were told off at school because his scissors were too sharp. :blink: He must have shorter and blunter scissors.Whats up with that? Has there been stabbings at schools here? :ph34r: Also none of his books need to be covered in plastic! Yeah! Very happy with that! :D

The question is: BREAD?

We have tried a few (Tiptop low GI white, Mighty soft whole meal sandwich, Mighty soft multigrain sandwich, Vivo smooth wholemeal, Abbott's) and they all taste spongy and fake.

Even the kids wont eat it.

Big problem for school lunches!

What is a good commercial bread?

We don't really eat white commercial bread anymore, but you can try Abbotts rustic white.

Lol on the chicken, I find cage birds very watery and rubbery here. Normally I buy free range chicken thigh fillets and they are great. My butcher is also a lot cheaper than Coles for the same thing.

Be very cautious of what is presented as a special in the supermarket. Often the special is still pricier than some of the other brands that are not on special.

Love the fact that I don't cover any books. Text books get some sticky stuff on them, but otherwise a name tag will do.

We don't really eat white commercial bread anymore, but you can try Abbotts rustic white.

Lol on the chicken, I find cage birds very watery and rubbery here. Normally I buy free range chicken thigh fillets and they are great. My butcher is also a lot cheaper than Coles for the same thing.

Be very cautious of what is presented as a special in the supermarket. Often the special is still pricier than some of the other brands that are not on special.

Love the fact that I don't cover any books. Text books get some sticky stuff on them, but otherwise a name tag will do.

Haha. Maybe I just struck it lucky with the chicken then! :ilikeit:

Thanks for heads up on the specials. Will look out!

Isn't a good feeling that now your conversations are about living and not should we or shouldnt we (move that is)?

Have you started working yet?

Pampers online: http://www.pampersnappies.com.au

If you're stuck these people seem to do large sizes and available at many stores: https://www.babylovenappies.com.au/junior-nappy-pants/

Where to buy: https://www.babylovenappies.com.au/where-to-buy/

and Big W and Target and Harris Scarfe etc :)

Thanks for that one Fish

I found some Babylove night pants, and they fit up to agr 15 years!

We treid it and it works beautifully! Much better than Pampers.

Unfortunately it costs $1.30 per nappy...

But now I can look for them on the sales at least.

Isn't a good feeling that now your conversations are about living and not should we or shouldnt we (move that is)?

Have you started working yet?

Good feeling indeed!

I havent started work yet. Due on the 1st of Nov.

So far things are going swimmingly.

So the only pawpaw to strike the fan will be the work environment... I hope I can cope... I hope (pleasepleaseplease :unsure: ) that I can actually do the job.

• Like 3

I was given a washing machine by a forum member - Beverlyjh - this weekend.

And it was delivered by other forum members because we couldnt fit it in our rental car.

Thank you so much.

3 loads later and we will all have clean clothes again as soon as it is dry tomorrow...

I sommer feel better now. :ilikeit:

I appreciate people who hear of someone struggling and reaching out a helping hand.

Strange how I have met more helpful, kind South African people here in Australia, than actually in RSA!

Why is that?

Maybe because here I can anonymously pour out my heart, and other people can hear and see that there is someone struggling the same as they do (or did?)

I think in South Africa we lived more closed insular lives. And maybe no one knew what was going on for us...

Or...maybe I am talking nonsence as usual :whome:

• Like 5

Eyebrow,

you are an inspiration to us all. I love your updates, and got my wife to read them too. We are following in your footsteps in a few weeks or months, and it's a kind of "to do" list for us..

• Like 1

So this weekend we go somewhere.

Ans we leave the house via the back door to go to the garage. Which is the first time we had done that, because we usually leave throught the front door.

Anyway, the back door locks automatically behind us (you can see where this is going :blush: ) and we leave. We dont have a key for the back door. Only for the front door, which my OH checked that he had, before we closed the back door.

When we get home and try to open the front door, lo and behold, the chain is on the front door. And we cant get in. Little mini blame fight breaks out...

"Why did you put the chain on?"

"No I didnt, it must have been you!"

One of those disagreements that never ends well...

My 6y old screaming at the top of his voice: We're trapped. We're trapped!

And my 3y old using the opportunity to slip away and walk bare foot in the front bushy garden.

Her "mommy look I found a spider"was of course very efficient at stopping the fight, and sent me running after her to save her from a certain death! :ph34r: The spider was just a twig...(I have been making everyone spider paranoid)

We then noticed my 12y old standing very still and he suddenly said, maybe I shouldnt have put that on... And shame, he thought he was doing a good thing keeping the house safe.

Luckily we were able to use our South African skills to identify a vulnerable back window. The toilet one which only has glass panes slotted in at 45 degree permanent angle (cant close therefore and makes the toilet freezing at night!!!)

Removed the panes, dropped 12y old through the window and he landed with feet on the open toilet seat and he opened the door from the inside.

Who says being South African doesnt mean we dont bring new skills to this country! :P

• Like 11

Eyebrow this last post of yours had me laughing out loud.

BREAD .. try Bergen OR Helgas breads we use Bergen pumpkin seed and it is great.

Ah Eyebrow, what a ride!?! A rough start (or end) sure did lower your expectations... I am sure ...so it turned out to be a great place to start this new and exciting adventure. I am thrilled that your tone had changed from anxiety and despair to amazement and discovery. It's a monster thing to do and I am excited for you that things are falling into place slowly but surely. AND that finding a great nappy is something to be celebrated.... Crazy but I get it. We are slowly approaching the end of our SA days and it can see the family starting to turn to protect themselves.... I hope your family has begun to warm up to you and your children... Even if you are oceans apart.

Sending lots of love and wishing you many more happy days and lots of little successes that make your days seem like a step in the right direction! :)

• Like 1