Apparently it is now!

Eyebrow

Has anyone noticed that their ability to complete a simile has deteriorated since moving to Australia?

Before I came here I was able to make similes easily.

"Today it is hot as hell."

Or

"I am as busy as a bee"

But, alas, no longer... :P

" It is hot as out there"

Or "Dont give me any more work, I am busy as"

I feel like I am de-skilling in my already iffy grammar department... :rolleyes:

So. My 457 expires in 2 days. When we got it 4 years ago 2018 looked so far away! Like maybe a decade away? <_<

So then we will on the bridging visa. What a horrible visa this is. Because it has a 28 or 35 day clause, where you have only that time to leave the country if your PR is refused.

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/010-?modal=/visas/supporting/Pages/010/If-your-BVA-was-granted-on-or-after.aspx

Anyway. We wait. But let me tell you guys, I am scared as !!!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Thinking of you and your family - ITS THE LAST STRETCH!! :D

• Like 1

Thinking of you! And hoping for a good result!

I hope you get an answer soon.

• Like 1

You will get it... positive vibes and big prayers... flowing your way!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Eyebrow - when do you expect to hear the good news?!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TamTam said:

Hey Eyebrow - when do you expect to hear the good news?!

9-11 months apparently!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

holy cow! how long does the bridging visa last?

20 hours ago, TamTam said:

holy cow! how long does the bridging visa last?

Apparently until a decision has been made...

If negative it gets withdrawn, if positive the new visa takes effect.

Who knew?

• Confused 1

Oh wow...talk about limbo.
All my Good Luck wishes are going out to you. I really hope you get the best news in the end.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

My OH has not been able to find work.

It has been a challenge for him and I think made him quite depro. He was in the police and couldnt work on my 457. We needed PR. Which, of course, we still dont have.

He was busy with the kids though. And while he enjoys them, I dont think it would have been his first choice.

He started volunteering at the SES once a week 3y ago. He quite enjoys that. Meets new people and do some challenging things. He got free training in chainsaws, boats, land searches, drone operation and flood management etc. He goes out often on weekends with the team looking for lost back packers, retrieving bodies and drug searches with the police. This is all done as volunteer.

One of the people there gave him a leaflet to deliver fliers (aka junk mail). It is sold as a "fitness pass-time" during which you can earn a nominal fee. So he walks and delivers these Woollies/Coles/Target etc ads. He will take 5 hours to walk a whole suburb and gets paid, wait for it, $20-50 for the whole time (depending on the amount of fliers). And he does that once a week. So for nothing really! But he said it gave him purpose, and he has done that for 6 months now. I was quite surprised at his determination, I have to admit. He greets everyone and waves at people driving past etc. He feels like it is "his valley" now. I just shake my head. I am an introvert and wish I never had to speak/wave to anyone (which makes my job a bit ironic, but leave that there... Although I find it very funny when the students thank me for my great lectures.)

Well 2 weeks ago he was walking again and waved at the postman as per usual. The guy abruptly stopped his bike, jumped off  and said he has noticed my OH's determination and has seen him in the neighbourhood on a regular basis. He went on to say that if he is so dedicated to such a low paid job, he must be a good worker. He then said he is actually a manager at the post office and doing this route because in difficulties recruiting. He asked my OH if he wanted the job! Luckily he had a motorcycle license and , well, the rest is history. He is now a postie! The hours are 10am -2pm. So perfect for school. And he gets $20/hr. He is so happy! A bit sore form being on a bike again after so many years, but otherwise having a great time.

So there you go. From volunteering to a job. Just goes to show.

• Like 14

@Eyebrow. That is just so fantastic!! Well done to your husband! 

Well done to your OH Eyebrow.

Edited by Batsie
  • Like 1

Oh wow! That's a great story! I'm sure when you get your PR, OH will be positioned to get a great work ethic referral, and will be able to prove excellent integration into his community! :ilikeit: 

• Like 1

Great story - very uplifting!

• Like 1

@Eyebrow

Expect a miracle everyday... and there it happened.... I am so happy for you and your hubby... he must be a wonderful man!

• Like 1

I was getting a bit disparaging because in the end he stopped applying for jobs at all. And I said something along the lines that he needed to continue looking, because a job is not going to "miraculously fall in you lap, you know".<_<

And then it did! Boy, was I proven wrong! :P

(And I have to admit we were a bit picky, though. The job had to be during school hours, or in evening when I was home, or weekends. And normally one doesnt get to pick and choose with your first step-in -the-door job. You take what you get. And here we got both a job and perfect for us hours.)

• Like 4

Love this. They say that true success comes from pure grit. There you have it.

• Like 1

The day @Eyebrow posts,  "WE HAVE PR" I am going to open a bottle of wine, and keep on toasting their family, until that bottle is totally empty !!!!!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On that day I'll beg, borrow or steal some money to book a ticket to North Queensland!😊😊

• Haha 1

Congrats to your OH on the job!

I've been reading back through this thread to remember everything that happened, and just had a thought @Eyebrow - have you activated medicare yet? Now that you're on a bridging visa you are eligible for medicare and can change your private healthcare to a top-up cover from the 457 version.

1 hour ago, OnYellowBrickRd said:

On that day I'll beg, borrow or steal some money to book a ticket to North Queensland!😊😊

North QLD is where its at, man! You should come here anyway! ;)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tntaglia said:

Congrats to your OH on the job!

I've been reading back through this thread to remember everything that happened, and just had a thought @Eyebrow - have you activated medicare yet? Now that you're on a bridging visa you are eligible for medicare and can change your private healthcare to a top-up cover from the 457 version.

I didnt know. Thanks. I will look into that!

Today was a sucky day. 

I took all the kids to the shopping mall because their dad was out on an SES thing. We needed food and so we went.

I don’t take all of them at once usually. It is hard to take a kid with a disability shopping. And I cant take my eye off for a second. When I look for bananas and turn away, trouble when I turn back...

Last time I took them all, some lady came up to me in the shop and suggested I leave him at home if his behaviour is that bad in public. I nearly socked her.

Anyway, made it through Coles and to the parking area with no incident. Everyone in the car but my boy screaming becuase the puting had been a bit much.  Great, get home asap. And as i reverse out, there is a shudder when i try to turn the wheel. Stop and look. The wheel flat to the rim. Find safe space to stop at back of parking area. No hubby and no roadside assist. The latter expired 3 weeks ago...

Not too surprising. I have a junky old car with bad tires. 

so I get out with the two little ones crying. And start to change the wheel praying the wheel nuts aren’t as tight so I can loosen them. Daai bleddie wheel spanner wat saam met die kar kom het mos nooit baie hefboomvoordeel nie.

Then the nicest Aussie bloke stopped and offered his help. And changed the tire for us. Also teaching my teenager how to do it in future. I was so thankful that people still do that here. Decent salt of the earth people. Especially regional Queensland. 

At home. Thinking about what if I had been in this situation in RSA...

Well, we are here now. I hope we get to stay.

• Like 4