Apparently it is now!

Eyebrow

So thrilled that you've finally lodged! This is excellent news, holding thumbs and everything else for you.

• Like 1

We now have to do the medicals.

After living in Australia for 3 and a half years, again the X rays and HIV tests and peeing in a cup.

This time round the 2 youngest kids must have bloods as well. For TB. Why for goodness sake?:huh:

Anyway, I have tried to prepare them. You know "sharp scratch in the skin in front of your elbow"

And my youngest daughter age 6 has been unreasonable. I would rather go back to South Africa than have a needle stuck into me.

And me thinking: no you are bloody well not! Not after the process we have been through! :angry2:

This is going to be fun... Not...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Bribery!  Personally I have found that an ice cream does the trick.

Good luck. 

It sucks.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OnYellowBrickRd said:

Bribery!  Personally I have found that an ice cream does the trick.

Good luck. 

It sucks.

Right, ice cream for me...  But what about the kids???  :huh:

Edited by Eyebrow
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Eyebrow said:

Right, ice cream for me...  But what about the kids???  :huh:

Take along a strong adult to sit on them!!

Afterwards, if they can still breath, ice-cream for them.

• Haha 3

Yes bribe them.  My kids get a giant box of Lego for any hospital stay for instance.  And to distract them I ask them which one they think they want, what colour is it, etc. Ask as many questions as possible because it makes them use the logical side of their brain rather than the emotional side.

Edited by RYLC
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Eyebrow said:

. I would rather go back to South Africa than have a needle stuck into me.

Sounds like something my sister would say. She is terrified of needles so much  so that she goes to the dentist and refuses local anesthetic and makes him work live.

Goodluck with that, the question thing should work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We did the TB test for my son 2 days before his 4th birthday! He's super scared of doctors and did cry a lot when he saw the doctor. The TB test wasn't so bad and the nurse was really child friendly and gave him superhero stickers. We told him that if he was a big boy we could maybe go to Disney land in Hong Kong on our way to Australia and this pretty much was enough to convince him to hold out his arm and he didn't even cry.

Unfortunately, after the test the nurse told him not to really touch or scratch the area on his arm (which he probably took to literally) and that night he had a nightmare about a hand touching his arm...and for almost a whole month he was too scared to sleep in his own room because the hand was in there...and "the hand" is going to touch that arm. 

• Sad 1

When we did the TB test for my youngest, we opted for the blood test rather than the scratch - more painful but we didn't have to go back. The doctor suggested that we go to the pharmacy across the road and buy a topical painkiller, for the life of me I can't remember the name but basically it comes as either a patch or a cream that you apply and 30 minutes or so later the area has no sensation whatsoever. We were able to do an actual blood draw for my very scared 8 year old without her feeling a thing. So whichever method you choose, maybe ask at a pharmacy about the topical numbing cream?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RYLC said:

The numbing patches / cream are called Emla Patches / Cream.

Yes! That's it. It worked wonders.

• Like 1

On 19/02/2018 at 11:21 AM, Eyebrow said:

Application finally lodged! 187

Hold you thumbs please peeps.

Uit-flippen-eindelik!!! Ja man!!!

I wish you all the best, and hope that you will be getting(and sharing) the good news before Solstice! Huge hug from me!

• Like 1

@Eyebrow

I trust and pray that it all goes smoothly and very soon we will have that shout out by you to say " WE GOT IT "

• Like 1

On 10/2/2017 at 12:24 PM, Eyebrow said:

It is now a little over 4 months before we are eligible to apply.

I am watching the changes that has been so rapidly implemented recently with trepidation. But, as always with this process, it is just wait and more wait.

I have not been on the forum much recently,  as I find it hard to read at times. People applying and briefly waiting and then getting PR. So many have started after us and are now happily living in Oz as PR's.

I also see people writing how they have made the decision to come a week or two ago and now they are so "impatient"...

We started our process in 2012. And we still dont have any guarantees. I feel slightly battered today. The last push, but I want to run away.

I still have fallout from my previous job. Some integrity of my previous research has been questioned and I dont have any documents to prove what  I did. This is all still kept at my previous workplace. So I had to email my ex-boss for those and he is just not answering back...

Your 457s have been a real journey, Eyebrow. All I can say is once you have the PR, the weight on your back which you didn't even realise was there, is going to lift, and you'll feel light as a bird (a light bird, not an ostrich or a dodo).

Ours took 7 years from 457 to 586 (I think this is now a 186), but it was worth it.

The good thing is that after PR it's only 1 year to citizenship.  :D  So you can crow over the new arrivals and ask why it's taking them so long to citizenship.

Edited by OubaasDik
Stupidity
  • Like 1

On 11/18/2017 at 8:34 PM, RedPanda said:

How many days now, Lady???

It must be sooooooon!

That should be "How many more sleeps?"    :P 

On 2/20/2018 at 7:01 PM, RYLC said:

The numbing patches / cream are called Emla Patches / Cream.

We used to make them at AstraZeneca many moons ago. Active ingredients are Lignocaine and Prilocaine. There are now generics available.

• Like 1

Blood tests done!

Could not do the kids' bloods at the same place as the medical. They had to booked in with a special pediatric phlebotomist.

I was quite taken aback. But it is Aus after all...

It went well. Kids surprised me. My eldest fainted, which was also a surprise as I expected the least issues from him. So just goes to show.

Each child got huge chocolate Easter bunny as they hopped off the chair.

All happy. Kids had no bruises even.

My OH and I, however, looks like we have been beaten, with huge bruises. Maybe we should go to a pediatric phlebotomist ourselves next time! :huh:

We have been in Australia 1224 days today.

I feel a bit lost and lethargic. Told my other half it felt as if the life has been sucked out of me with the blood that was taken. He just rolled his eyes at my melodramatic declaration. OK I know that cant happen.

And then I said maybe I have HIV and that is why I feel like I do. I have been tested for it so many times now! :ph34r:

Or maybe it was the fact that the medicals and X-rays and bloods cost us $2200. Can you guys believe it?

But I feel tired and out of sorts.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Eyebrow said:

Well done :D

8 hours ago, Eyebrow said:

Like running the Comrades, you'll be the most tired and weary (both physically and emotionally) towards the end.  It's been a long race. So close now... and just like Comrades you have the elation of crossing the finish line (possibly in a spent heap but still crossing the line). Just like your kids with the Easter bunny, keep your eye on the prize and crowd out the fears with positive visualisations of your life here now and in the future. 

Edited by RYLC
  • Like 1

Still lots of encouragement. Remember that two years ago your biggest wish was to be where you are now. Last lap...

• Like 1

download.jpg.052f617013fcb87bdf2a0e3cbad82d80.jpg

• Like 2

I think that all the effort, time, waiting and emotion has an enormous impact on both our physical and metal wellbeing. Perhaps try take a little time out for yourself to reflect and breathe. 

• Like 1

On 2/26/2018 at 12:29 PM, Eyebrow said:

Blood tests done!

Could not do the kids' bloods at the same place as the medical. They had to booked in with a special pediatric phlebotomist.

I was quite taken aback. But it is Aus after all...

It went well. Kids surprised me. My eldest fainted, which was also a surprise as I expected the least issues from him. So just goes to show.

All happy. Kids had no bruises even.

My OH and I, however, looks like we have been beaten, with huge bruises. Maybe we should go to a pediatric phlebotomist ourselves next time! :huh:

We have been in Australia 1224 days today.

I feel a bit lost and lethargic. Told my other half it felt as if the life has been sucked out of me with the blood that was taken. He just rolled his eyes at my melodramatic declaration. OK I know that cant happen.

And then I said maybe I have HIV and that is why I feel like I do. I have been tested for it so many times now! :ph34r:

Or maybe it was the fact that the medicals and X-rays and bloods cost us $2200. Can you guys believe it?

Your other half has a sense of humour, it appears ...

Anyway, most of it is over now - just the medicals for the citizenship and you'll be fine (I'm joking about the medicals, BTW)

It's been a slog, Eyebrow, but nobody can say you haven't stood up and taken the punishment.

• Like 1