NEW THREAD - 143 Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa - Tips and Other information

Orphan

This website is not facebook, or rainbownation, or whatever other forum that some of you may be on or deal with. 

We have a mantra on this forum for keeping a civil tongue in our heads, when dealing with others. We pay it forward, some of us in big measure, as has @Orphan who started this thread. Many people have had extremely valuable advice from him.

I agree with those that say people need to chill out, take a deep breath before you post, then you may feel better about what you are about to write.

Complain by all means, but I have to agree, the tone that some of you have used, will not go down well in Australia, and I know what I am talking about, I have lived here for 20 years.

We do not wish for, or want to have slinging matches in threads, they just cause problems and serve absolutely no purpose.

I would appreciate it greatly if you will all tone it down in future.

Please remember everyone.... you only have to be a member of this forum to post.... other than that it is a public forum, where anyone can see what is posted.

@Orphan please do not leave, your advice has been so valuable to everyone, after all, the 26 pages speak for themselves.

Thank you

Mara

Host - SAAustralia

Edited by Mara
  • Like 1

Hi All and Roomies. 

Thanks Mara for your wise words and please Orphan don't leave us. 

We will behave. 

• Like 2

I do not know how many of you have read this... looks like some changes will be made. Not sure whether it will include 143's.

http://www.border.gov.au/News/Pages/global-visa-and-citizenship-processing-times.aspx

Have a great weekend.

• Mara pinned this topic

:rolleyes:@Orphan Please this thread is such a wealth of information and there is always something you are so willing to share with us. Please do not give up on us, we are kind of desperate here. More than you can ever imagine. Not because of things on that side but things this side. And we are not getting any younger you know? :rolleyes: Anyway. Just wanting to say, we want to get there while we still have a little bit of life in us to contribute somehow to the new home that our children have been offered.

That's it before I get kicked off again. Thanks @Orphan

OK. So those rolly eyes at the start of my message were not there when I posted my message. I declare myself technologically impaired.

The unpalatable truth is that these are low priority visa's.

I recent review commissioned by the Australian government came to the conclusion that parent visa's resulted in

1 A negative economic value add for Australia

2 That these visa holders do not integrate well, these visa holders tend to confine their social activity to their families

3 that the cost of theses visa holders are between $350k and $450k to Australia and that the $50k fee is only a 10% contribution towards overall costs.

Only humanitarian visa's had a worse outcome for Australia.

So going forward

A consultation paper has already been issued for the introduction of a long stay (5 year) parent visitor visa. The proposal suggested that a condition of the visa be a health insurance policy to be taken out and for an assurance by a sponsor to be provided.

At this point nobody knows what will be introduced come 1 July 2017, but one thing one can be pretty sure of is that the cost of parent PR visa's are more likely to go up, potentially substantially.

Interestingly not long after the release of the report NZ ceased their version of the parent visa.

• Like 3

I agree with every word you are saying. Although we have only been here for 9 months, have our own business and employ Aus citizens,  my husband is finding it very difficult to adapt.  We had a full life in SA and he was very active but since our move he has become very lonely and depressed. 

To relocate at an advanced age is not a joke. Although your kids are now with you and you are safe your extended family and friends leaves a big hole in your life.

Hence the reason I said use the time that you are still in SA to travel and spend as much time as possible with the loved ones you are going to leave behind.

• Like 4

On 3/11/2017 at 9:32 AM, Orphan said:

@Ashmount.

I disagree with your claim that " Nobody is taking out their frustration on the Immigration authorities"  

Comments such as 

does exactly that! 

And the following comment not only denigrates the work ethic of  all visa officials, but insinuates that parent visa applicants deserve better service because they are paying for it     

When someone feels strongly enough to post  "I am really glad I am not in this waiting room", that should serve as a warning to everyone on this thread that the posts going out from the "current group of roomies" are unappealing and unattractive.

As has been said (by me and others) previously, my purpose for starting this thread was to help others coming behind us, by providing useful, informative, and helpful advice to those new to the parent visa process.  Unfortunately, this is no longer the case...it seems to have degenerated into a type of Facebook blogging site where everyone is posting their daily ramblings, and venting their frustrations.

And I want no part of it any more.  So this represents my final farewell.

I think you took my comment far to literal! the girl of the phone laughed, because of the way i said it. i.e "kindly" no way was it taken as a insult. sometime when one writes a comment the expression of the way something is said isn't portrayed. 

Aussie are extremely laid back and down to earth and i want to reassure you and everyone else that no offence was taken by the immigration department and i am disappointed that this has been turned into a "thing". 

Edited by Marchhawker
  • Like 1

On 3/16/2017 at 6:03 PM, JTN said:

Hi All

Just to let you know that I got a reply yesterday from parents@border.gov.au  --- they are assessing applicants up to 22nd August 2014. 

YAY!!! so glad that its moved!!! 

• Like 1

Your original post definitely conveyed your irritation but it was nearly 2 weeks ago so let's just move on now...

Edited by RYLC
  • Like 3

Hi All

Does anyone know whether it is possible to change an application from subclass 143 to subclass 864. Also is there an advantage to go to OZ on a 12 month tourist and then apply for the 864 while you in OZ - using the Bridging Visa to lengthen your stay. What implications on timeframe / costs etc.

Comments and advice much appreciated.

Take care - have a great Sunday   

• Like 1

Perhaps one of the agents will weigh in on this because I think there are issues with going on a tourist visa to then apply onshore for any visa. @TeeTMI @SD_MOA

Also I know that there are no refunds once paid so that might be an issue if you've paid fees already.  The agents will be the best for this.

Edited by RYLC
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, JTN said:

Hi All

Does anyone know whether it is possible to change an application from subclass 143 to subclass 864. Also is there an advantage to go to OZ on a 12 month tourist and then apply for the 864 while you in OZ - using the Bridging Visa to lengthen your stay. What implications on timeframe / costs etc.

Comments and advice much appreciated.

Take care - have a great Sunday   

Hi JTN, 

For what it's worth - my experience or understanding of your question.

We had in mind to do the onshore application 864 when we decided to go ahead with the parental visa the end of 2014 (after our second child was settled). We first had to renew our visitors (600) visa to get permission to stay for up to a year for five years (which we got). 

But unfortunately I was granted with visa condition 8503 which stated NO FURTHER STAY. As far as I could ascertain there was no normal way (except for a few extraordinary exemptions) to apply onshore and switch your visitors visa for the parental visa if your visitors visa didn't allow further stay. As I understand it, the No Further Stay precludes one from applying for any visa that would allow you to stay on (permanently) like the 864 would, or any extension of your stay in Australia.

You can however apply onshore if you have a 600 visitor visa while it is valid IF there are no Visa Conditions prohibiting you (like condition 8503). I also had Condition 8010 (NO WORK) and 8201 (MAXIMUM 3 MONTHS STUDY) but that was no problem.

We then contemplated applying offshore and still go before our 143 visa get approved, but that involved storage of our stuff for a long time (expenses and theft), no medicare or working opportunities in Aus, getting police clearance and medicals while in Aus, and lastly arrange with your CO to slip out of the country when they issue the 143. You can't activate the 143 onshore when you are in Australia on a 600 visitors visa. You first have to leave on the 600 visa and then enter to activate the 143 after it was granted.

If your visitor visa expires while you are in Aus and you are close to receiving your 864, I suppose you could extend it with a bridging visa.

Whether you can change your 143 to a 864, I very much doubt it. You would probably sacrifice your first 143 payment because that payment is for the 143 visa and they stipulate that you would lose it if that visa is not approved. If I should guess, I'd say you'd have to cancel your 143 and then start over with the 864, if your current visitor visa allows it.

Just my thoughts... :)

Edited by Dirkz
  • Like 2

On 3/19/2017 at 1:44 PM, Dirkz said:

Hi JTN, 

For what it's worth - my experience or understanding of your question.

We had in mind to do the onshore application 864 when we decided to go ahead with the parental visa the end of 2014 (after our second child was settled). We first had to renew our visitors (600) visa to get permission to stay for up to a year for five years (which we got). 

But unfortunately I was granted with visa condition 8503 which stated NO FURTHER STAY. As far as I could ascertain there was no normal way (except for a few extraordinary exemptions) to apply onshore and switch your visitors visa for the parental visa if your visitors visa didn't allow further stay. As I understand it, the No Further Stay precludes one from applying for any visa that would allow you to stay on (permanently) like the 864 would, or any extension of your stay in Australia.

You can however apply onshore if you have a 600 visitor visa while it is valid IF there are no Visa Conditions prohibiting you (like condition 8503). I also had Condition 8010 (NO WORK) and 8201 (MAXIMUM 3 MONTHS STUDY) but that was no problem.

We then contemplated applying offshore and still go before our 143 visa get approved, but that involved storage of our stuff for a long time (expenses and theft), no medicare or working opportunities in Aus, getting police clearance and medicals while in Aus, and lastly arrange with your CO to slip out of the country when they issue the 143. You can't activate the 143 onshore when you are in Australia on a 600 visitors visa. You first have to leave on the 600 visa and then enter to activate the 143 after it was granted.

If your visitor visa expires while you are in Aus and you are close to receiving your 864, I suppose you could extend it with a bridging visa.

Whether you can change your 143 to a 864, I very much doubt it. You would probably sacrifice your first 143 payment because that payment is for the 143 visa and they stipulate that you would lose it if that visa is not approved. If I should guess, I'd say you'd have to cancel your 143 and then start over with the 864, if your current visitor visa allows it.

Just my thoughts... :)

Hi Dirkz

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation - much appreciated. I have requested from an immigration consultant - have not yet got reply. Will advise once i get a response. 

• Like 1

Hi Roomies.

Hope to find you all well and in good health.

I have found this on Immi's website and hope this will clarify the timeframe question somewhat. You will have to scroll down quite a bit to find the parent visa category. 

https://www.border.gov.au/about/access-accountability/service-standards/global-visa-citizenship-processing-times

Have a good weekend.

Ashmount, no news yet?

Edited by Elna57
spello
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, JTN said:

Hi Dirkz

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation - much appreciated. I have requested from an immigration consultant - have not yet got reply. Will advise once i get a response. 

Hi All

According to immigration official the 864 Aged Contributory Parent visa can only be applied  ONSHORE. Main applicant must be over 65 and hold visas without the condition 8503. Also there will be additional cost involved. Does not look like an option.

Good weekend to all  

• Like 1

Thanks for the link Elna57. It's sad that the waiting time has moved from 18 months in 2014 to 32 to 33 months now. There's nothing we can do but to enjoy our time remaining in this lovely country of ours and be patient ! I do believe that all happens for a reason, even if we can't understand it now ?

25 minutes ago, JTN said:

Hi All

According to immigration official the 864 Aged Contributory Parent visa can only be applied  ONSHORE. Main applicant must be over 65 and hold visas without the condition 8503. Also there will be additional cost involved. Does not look like an option.

Good weekend to all  

Thanks for the confirmation JTN. 

For more detailed info about the 864 visa, click here

I'm not sure about the amount of the additional costs to speed up the application, nor the eligible age ("You must be at the age where you are eligible for an Age Pension in Australia") which could be 65 as your immi officer said. But as you concluded, it might not be an option for you. 

All you can do now is to visit your children as much as your visitor visa allows, but I suggest you arrange some medical cover while you're there, because you won't be covered by Medicare and could become a burden for your kids, should something happen to your health (unless you have enough millions accessible at short notice!). My daughter had to have her appendix out yesterday after an emergency appendicitis. It didn't cost her anything through Medicare and she had the best treatment one can wish for.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Long time no hearing from roomies in this thread?

You probably saw that the assessment date has jumped a bit lately :) (from 2 Sept 2014, 10 days ago)

OFFSHORE APPLICANTS (subclass 143/173)

When your application is allocated to an assessing officer, you or your authorised contact may be asked to provide more documents, including but not limited to, Assurance of Support (subclass 143 only), police certificates and health clearances to finalise your application. 

We are currently assessing applications lodged up to and including 22 September 2014.

• Like 1

Hi Dirkz and Roomies. 

Thank you Dirkz, that is great news.

Hi Guys and Gals.

I am trying to establish a new thread just for us Roomies to communicate and share our experiences without flooding Orphan's thread "NEW THREAD - 143 Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa - Tips and Other information".

I have no idea whether I am doing this right but I guess we will soon find out. :unsure:

As soon as I have a couple of replies on the new thread, I will post our updated waiting list and we can keep up to date right there..

Hope to hear from some roomies soon.

Regards

Elna

http://www.saaustralia.org/topic/48045-contributory-parent-143-visa-support-group/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Elna57 said:

Hi Guys and Gals.

I am trying to establish a new thread just for us Roomies to communicate and share our experiences without flooding Orphan's thread "NEW THREAD - 143 Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa - Tips and Other information".

I have no idea whether I am doing this right but I guess we will soon find out. :unsure:

As soon as I have a couple of replies on the new thread, I will post our updated waiting list and we can keep up to date right there..

Hope to hear from some roomies soon.

Regards

Elna

http://www.saaustralia.org/topic/48045-contributory-parent-143-visa-support-group/

You did great! Even put the link in here, thanks :) 

• Like 1