Hi

I am kind of new to the site. Well I have been reading what people have had to say about Aus while we were waiting for paper work and approvals to come through. So we finally have the Engineers Australia’s approval! And my boyfriend’s qualification has been approved. We are applying for a 190 visa and now need to decide on a state.

So I have previously seen that Victoria and NSW were giving out the most invites for the 190 visa. This is a blessing, as we want to bring our dog along and the two quarantine stations are in Sydney and Melbourne. So I am opting for Victoria (for no real reason) and looking at a smaller town like Geelong or Ballarat. But I don’t know what the job situation is like there, especially for a mechanical engineer? I see that there are lots of jobs in the major cities but rent is just too expensive! And it seems there are fewer places which are pet friendly. Many people seem to flock to the major cities looking for work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hey,

Australia has several good sites that can give you all the information you need... you just need to know what they are:

Go to seek.com.au and see how many mechanical engineering jobs there are available in each area you are considering.

Then visit peoplelikeu.com.au and see averages of what people in your potential suburbs spend each month and what they spend it on.

Then visit www.realestate.com.au/neighbourhoods and you can see what rentals and property prices are like in each suburb.

You will generally find, where there are fewer "good" jobs like mechanical engineers, the cost of living will be lower.

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi

I am kind of new to the site. Well I have been reading what people have had to say about Aus while we were waiting for paper work and approvals to come through. So we finally have the Engineers Australia’s approval! And my boyfriend’s qualification has been approved. We are applying for a 190 visa and now need to decide on a state.

So I have previously seen that Victoria and NSW were giving out the most invites for the 190 visa. This is a blessing, as we want to bring our dog along and the two quarantine stations are in Sydney and Melbourne. So I am opting for Victoria (for no real reason) and looking at a smaller town like Geelong or Ballarat. But I don’t know what the job situation is like there, especially for a mechanical engineer? I see that there are lots of jobs in the major cities but rent is just too expensive! And it seems there are fewer places which are pet friendly. Many people seem to flock to the major cities looking for work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe given that Geelong has a train that some use for the (long) commute into Melbourne it may provide a short term backup if no job can be found locally ?

Given you have quite a hard task finding a smaller place with enough mechanical engineering jobs you might want to forgo the short term quarantine convenience and cast your net wider to Adelaide, Brisbane and Perth. Newcastle, NSW may also be worth a look.

Edited by Fish

If you are willing to commute to Melbourne, you can live on the fringes of the metropolitan area, just understand that it could take you around an hour each way... You should be able to find an affordable rental and be allowed to keep your dog.

Although there is a quarantine centre in Melbourne, I have been told that the flights (for dogs) to MEL are very expensive compared to SYD.

Thanks Monsta, all those sites have been very useful! They all really help with budgeting!

And thanks Fish for letting me know about the train. I see that it seems to go to most places in Victoria which is very helpful. This will allow us to have a larger area to apply for jobs, if need be.

And yes Magenta you are right. It will cost us about 35% more. But luckily it is just a once off payment.

Thanks for everybody’s help, it has been much appreciated! J

• Like 1