Retain SA citizenship how?

Stopper37

So I have been here almost long enough to apply for citizen. Before I do, I remember reading something about losing my SA citizenship upon my new one being approved but I can apply to keep both. Does anyone know how to go about it?

Thanks

• Like 1

Yes apply for a retention of citizenship at the embassy. Once granted you can apply for your Oz citizenship.

Does one have to apply for retention of RSA citizenship for every new citizenship you acquire? Or is it a once off thing?

The retention is specific to the country you are getting citizenship from. So yes you must apply for each and every one separately.

• Like 1

You look on the SA High Commission in Canberra website. There is an application form buried on there somewhere. It is only for over 18's, children automatically retain their SA citizenship.

The form gets sent to Canberra and they send it to SA. You get a written approval back a few months later.

I reckon just do it early because it doesn't expire. It must be in place before you take Aus citizenship or else your SA citizenship is automatically revoked when next you apply for a passport.

I think this is the link you need?

http://www.sahc.org.au/citizenship/Dual_Citizenship.htm

And this is a link to the actual form...

http://www.sahc.org.au/pdf/bi-forms/BI-1664_Retention_Of_Citizenship.pdf

And the accompanying form BI-529

http://www.sahc.org.au/pdf/bi-forms/BI-529_Status_Determine.pdf

edited to add the link for BI-529

Edited by Titus
  • Like 3

Under what circumstances would one need to complete form BI-529?

• 5 months later...

I guess I will give some feed back, I posted mine off by the end of July and got my letter last week, so under 6 months for me. Now I can go and apply for my Aus citizen..... "Aussie Burger" is now on the menu (pun intended haha)

is there a form for renouncing SA citizenship coz I could not be bothered waiting that long and do my test end Jan anyways

• Like 1

Nope. No form. You're just no longer a South African citizen once you become and Australian citizen.

• Like 2

They can have mine, I wanna be an Aussie! Aussie oi oi oi!!! Anyone need SA citizenship, going cheep cheep. Fifty bucks gets you a ticket to blackouts, corruption, nepotism, broke airline, PMSl Okay, Ill stop now! :ilikeit: :ilikeit: :ilikeit:

• Like 2

I still think that whole revocation of citizenship is dicey, since the RSA constitution says that citizenship may not be revoked.

However it's not something I really care about much any more ....

A friend a few years ago sent his family's passports to the HC in Canberra with a note that they were allowed to stick them where they wanted them, and got a letter back saying he had to fill in forms to renounce citizenship - his answer was that that was what the constitution said, but since he had Aussie citizenship, he wasn't taking any crap from foreign governments who didn't understand their own laws ....

• Like 3

Hmm, still here in SA and ive had some issues retaining my Portuguese citizenship, they don't want the whole duel citizenship here anymore. So not sure, and might not help your plight, but just putting in my 2 cents. :)

• 3 months later...

I am still in SA, but going to Oz in next two months on one way ticket. I have Italian citizenship as well. Had to apply for retention of citizenship here in SA. Was not a big deal, just a bit of admin. Department of Home Affairs at Maynard Mall is quite organised the many times I have been there.

Hi, just a question on a slight tangent with this thread:

What are the benefits of retaining SA citizenship? Just for easy family visits, or is there more to it?

Good question. Not sure. Maybe in case a miracle happens and the country turns itself around in the next 10 years and you want to come back. Just good to have I suppose. You could still vote I suppose.

If you give it up, you can still get PR right away if you decide to return. Point is, the nose of HMS South Africa has been pointing down to Davey Jones locker for over 20 years, what are the odds of you ever standing on the deck with a flute of champagne in your hand? I would say near zero. I can't wait to post my passport back to Canberra.

• Like 1

There was a good thread on this question a few years ago, I have found it, I am sure that a lot of it is still relevant today:

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php/topic/40391-is-there-any-point-in-retaining-sa-citizenship/?hl=%2Bretain+%2Bcitizenship#entry358170

• 4 years later...

Hi all,

just reviving an old post to find out if anyone has been through this process recently(apply to retain SA Citizenship?)

Is the process still the same as detailed here http://www.sahc.org.au/citizenship/Dual_Citizenship.htm

My main questions are:

1) Do i need to get the passport copies certified?

2) Do i need to do anything else, eg prove i am not yet a citizen of Australia?

Also any other advice and timelines to make sure the process goes smoothly would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks