IELTS Test Advice for dyslexic

Hi all,

I am in the process of applying for a 457 visa. But I have one major challenge that I was wondering somebody else may have experience with. I am and extreme dyslexic and have never really been a strong academic. Even though I can read and write, but my spelling is atrocious and I am just a lot slower at processing large volumes of data. I have developed a number of systems to overcome this problem. Like using a laptop & dictation software.

Now I have a job offer from a company in Australia. But this offer will not hang around indefinitely.

And I was wondering if anybody that has been in the similar position to myself and has been through this process and how they dealt with it. Especially in relation to getting some form of exemption from either the British Council or language lab here in SA.

thanks

sean.

Do you need to do the ielts for a 457? We didn't have to do the exam when we applied for our 457, has it changed?

Good luck if you have to do it :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

just to continue on this discussion. I have been in contact with IELTS headquarters in the UK and explained my situation and my dissatisfaction at the fact that I have to wait three months to book a test. As stated above by Chzaau. The response I received from the UK HQ, is that it should only take five weeks for the special arrangements to be made as opposed to the three month. And I am to write a formal complaint to the local test centre and if I am unhappy with the response. I would then have to email the UK office again and lodge a complaint with them, upon which the UK office will investigate and take action based upon the outcomes of the investigation. So at the end of the day it looks like it's going to take me three months to do the exam anyway.

I guess I better find a couple shortcuts to understanding all the English rules and start to get my head around spelling. :ilikeit:

Thank you for your respones

Sean

• 2 months later...

Hi I thought that I would just update my results with my exam and steps taken.

First off I reach my goal of an average 7.5 for the exam. Being realistic in knowing that as a dyslexic I am never going to get a perfect 9 when it comes to my spelling. I decided to work really hard and achieve a result that would at least put me well above the minimum requirement that I need to get my 457 Visa.

My approach to dealing with passing the IELTS test was divided in to 3 parts.

Changing the game.

As was suggested that I should contact the testing station and apply for special needs. This in its own was a bit of a process. As I first needed to go and see a clinical psychologist. Who then performed a basic assessment to determine that in fact I do have dyslexia and his opinion, that if I would be allowed additional time to perform the exam I should do just fine. This took about two weeks to get done.

I then submitted the report from the clinical psychologist along with my application/booking of the exam. Which then took an additional 3 weeks to get okayed from the testing centre. If I had requested to make use of a laptop and dictation software, which is how I'm communicating with you right now. This could have taken me up to 3 months to get approval from United Kingdom. "They must be obviously still making use of carrier pigeons."

Managing my weaknesses.

Knowing that I'm never going to spell perfectly in the six-weeks that I had to prepare for my exam. I spent my time focusing on learning a couple of core principles around the rules of English. " Which is every rule has an exception. "

Focusing on strengths.

I performed as many practice exams that I could possibly get my hands on. So that when I was doing my exam it would be completely comfortable and familiar experience. I do believe this helped me the most.

So for any other dyslexics out there who are preparing to write the IELTS I hope this helps.

Sean

• Like 2