Christ Church Grammar School - Perth

HFamily

I am new to this site, and have already found such helpful information, so thanks to everyone who takes the time to tell their story and help others in the process.

My husband has been offered a job in Perth and we would be coming across on the 457 visa. We were there in January, and my son who is 14, loved Christ Church Grammar. We have chosen to go with the private school option as we have no idea what good public schools are available in the areas SOR and around the Fremantle area. My husband would be based close to Fremantle, so ideally we would not want to live too far from there. At least with the private school option, we don't have to worry about catchment areas etc. Before we officially apply and pay the exorbitant fees they are asking (but that is our choice), what are the views on Christ Church? Academically they seem very good, being in the top 10. Does anyone know what they are like from a sports perspective, especially cricket? Do they compete?

Any feedback will be welcome. Thank you.

Can't help with WA or any of the schools, just wanted to say hi and welcome to our neck of rhw woods.

• Like 1

From what I know it is one of the top schools. But you are aware the fees are between $45000 - $62000 a year? Perhaps much much higher as you are on a temp visa (I couldn't find the info for international fees)

• Like 1

I have been in contact with the school and they have been quite helpful. They have said that he would be treated as a local resident, so that was a huge relief for us - school fees are roughly $6,100 per term :(, plus enrolment fees etc. However, part of the reason we are doing this is so that he can have a better future, so we are happy to bite the bullet and pay the extra for now :cry:.

• Like 1

Oh okay I see the fee I saw included boarding fees.

https://secure.netols.com/schools/temp/tmp_201402200101_E885730B-9D55-D9DF-1D195ED61C797C9D/CCGS_S14384_FeesPolicy2014.pdf

The school is an Anglican private school, so you cant go wrong.

Hi MaxiMom,

I'm brand new to the forum and have also been looking at this school for our son for year 7 in 2015. Yes, pricey compared to a few others, but we're currently in Dubai and would be paying in this region for high school anyway.

I know of a few families here (Middle East) who send their sons to Christ Church Grammar and Hale School as boarders, and though I haven't had a chance to speak to any of them directly, the general feedback has been excellent. When asking established Perth friends for suggestions, Christ Church Grammar is always mentioned, though some have spoken of seriously long waiting lists (probably more for the earlier years, where people put their boys' names down at birth!). Have they given any indication of availability? I still need to speak to them, but it sounds as if they've been quite helpful.

I will be in Perth for a very short visit next month, catching up with family but mostly looking at schools and housing and getting a feel for things like traffic, travel times, public transport, places to eat and drink and things to do for a sports-mad pre-teen! Do you mind me asking which other schools you looked at? Christ Church, Hale and Scotch College are definitely on my itinerary but I'm hoping to squeeze in a few more, if only for comparison and in case we change our mind about the areas we like.

If you want more information about sport, google the Public Schools Association (PSA) Western Australia. Six "premium" boy's schools (Christ Church, Hale, Scotch, Wesley, Aquinas and Trinity) compete in swimming, cricket, tennis rowing, rugby, football, soccer etc. These schools also have house systems for internal carnivals and competitions. Jordy is probably right - hard to go wrong if this is the type of school that would suit your son and your circumstances.

Not sure if there's a PM function on here, or how to use it, but please feel free to contact me if you know how to or if there's anything you'd like me to ask when i visit schools next month.

Wishing you all the best!

Edited by Dill

Hi Dill

Thanks so much for the response. Yes, the schools, especially Scotch and Christ Church, have been very positive in their response. All my dealings with them have been via email so far. Scotch can offer him a place and Christ Church says they are full, but will see what they can do. Aquinas wasn't very helpful at all, and we discounted Wesley and Trinity for some reason. Hale is too far north for us! I also haven't found too many negative comments about either school.

Sadly when we were in Perth in January, all the schools were still closed, so didn't get a chance to look around them. We did do a drive by of Scotch, Christ Church, Aquinas and Trinity, and my son really loved the look of Christ Church. It also helped a lot when he heard that Mickey Arthur is the Director of cricket there. My son is cricket mad, and is quite talented (not just a proud mom talking)! He has achieved so much over here, and is already playing in his school 1st team, aged 14. He is currently at one of the more well known boarding schools over here, where tradition is king and you have to fight for your place in the school. Academically he does very well too! From my internet research, I do feel that Christ Church is a good fit for him, so will do everything we can to get him in over there.

I will definitely keep in mind that you will be there. When will you be going across?

Thanks again.

Hi MaxiMom,

Wow! I'm sure that Christ Church will definitely "see what they can do" once they find out more about him and it certainly sounds like a good fit. One of the other things I liked about Hale and Christ Church was that they have student exchange programs which include schools in South Africa, possibly even your son's current school :)

I'll be in Perth from 7-12 March, on my way to New Zealand, so not much time. When are you planning to arrive in Perth?

I applied for a partner visa in October (my husband and son already have Ozzie citizenship) but they're taking 12-18 months to process this type of visa from Dubai. I also have a visit visa, so I'm sure we can work around it if we need to be there for the start of the school year in 2015.

Will keep you posted on what we decide and where we end up getting a place. Christ Church is definitely a fantastic choice but year 7 is a main entry point so might be a bit tricky for us. So glad I saw this thread, spurred me to pull my finger out and start making appointments.

Look forward to hearing good news from you soon and definitely think it will be money well spent in this case.

Dill

Hi Dill

We will definitely do our best to get him in there, as soon as we have finalized my husband's job details. We have been told that it will take 3 months to organize the 457 visa, but after reading all the stories on this forum, I have my doubts! Good luck with organizing your visa. I cannot believe how long the process can take.

We actually heard about Christ Church from friends whose son went there on exchange from Kearsney College. They had very positive reports about it! We are really hoping that they will have a place for him this year or next. It's a very scary thought thinking that we might be living in another country by the end of this year.

I started by sending the same email to all the schools and waited for their response. They have really exceeded my expectations with their responses and I have asked MANY questions. Good luck with setting up the appointments, I would love to be back there sorting everything out in person. Thank heavens for the internet and email!

Would love to hear how things go with your visa and also getting your son into school.

Good luck

Chantal

Hi Chantal

Think I have figured out how to PM you! Thanks to you, I have emailed 3 schools tonight but now need to get to bed, so will let you know the outcome as soon as I hear back from them.

This has made it feel so much more real, even though the move has been on the cards for a long time. We've been in Dubai for 16 years and mostly enjoy it but it's time to move on now. My husband and I are ready but it's the only place our son has ever known and even though he loves visiting Oz, he's not that keen on leaving his lovely school and friends behind. Luckily we have a good few months to get him sold on the idea and having a few schooling options will be a good start.

Chat soon,

Dill

You cannot go wrong with either Christ Church or Scotch College. If you think of schools such as Hilton College, possibly Grey College, SACS, etc. in SA then you are on the right track. Expensive, but too be honest in a different league all together when it comes to schooling. Their draw area is mainly the wealthy western suburbs belt, so in terms of socio-economic advantage, these kids certainly have that. So not a "normal" distribution of abilities either.

They do attract the best of the best, through scholarships, reputation, old boys clubs, etc. Middle of the road students may get lost a little, but in all honesty, if you can afford it, go for it.

(Just a word of caution about the "league tables" need to be read with a full understanding of what the figures are representing)

Hi Drought

We are by no means wealthy, but have made the decision to give our son the best education we can possibly afford. We have done the same here, so want to do the same over there.

What do you mean by "league tables"?

Hi Chantal

3 lovely responses this morning, have PM'd you with more information.

By "league tables", I would say that the results and places on the list of academic achievement (you can google best schools Perth or someone might provide a link) are open to interpretation and should only be a very broad guideline. They can be deceptively complicated in what and how they report and you need make sure you are comparing apples with apples.

The league tables are produced by the West Australian newspaper and supposedly ranks schools based on their Year 12 cohort's academic performance in the external exam. They provide IMHO a very limited view of schooling, so if you have not looked at them, don't bother!

I am by no means attached to either of the 2 schools I mentioned, but have had opportunity to interact with students from both schools and found the students to be well-rounded, well-mannered- normal, good kids by and large. As with any school, there have been issues and incidents, but I would happily send my son to either of them!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Dill

Thanks so much for the response. Yes, the schools, especially Scotch and Christ Church, have been very positive in their response. All my dealings with them have been via email so far. Scotch can offer him a place and Christ Church says they are full, but will see what they can do. Aquinas wasn't very helpful at all, and we discounted Wesley and Trinity for some reason. Hale is too far north for us! I also haven't found too many negative comments about either school.

Sadly when we were in Perth in January, all the schools were still closed, so didn't get a chance to look around them. We did do a drive by of Scotch, Christ Church, Aquinas and Trinity, and my son really loved the look of Christ Church. It also helped a lot when he heard that Mickey Arthur is the Director of cricket there. My son is cricket mad, and is quite talented (not just a proud mom talking)! He has achieved so much over here, and is already playing in his school 1st team, aged 14. He is currently at one of the more well known boarding schools over here, where tradition is king and you have to fight for your place in the school. Academically he does very well too! From my internet research, I do feel that Christ Church is a good fit for him, so will do everything we can to get him in over there.

I will definitely keep in mind that you will be there. When will you be going across?

Thanks again.

What a dilema, we facing the same. Julian is at Michael House but the equivalent in Australia is nearly double the price with flights - so we might leave him behind to finsih his last three years and he will fly home three time a year. its a very difficult choice you have to make but no doubt you will make the right one. Best of luck xxx

Julesktm - you are very brave! I couldn't imagine leaving SA and my son behind too. We have been very lucky to have come to an agreement with my husband's employer which will enable us to afford the school fees. What grade is your son in at MHS? I have some very good friends whose boys are there.

Not brave at all we acting it :( But he has begged us to let him finish - so we thought rather than a rebellious teenager give him a sound education - and then tertiary can be done in Aus he is currently in D block (grade 9). and we will leave as he starts Grade 10. Very difficult but at least Carla who will be 12 will be coming with us so looking at High schools for her. What also scares me if I have to work all day leaving her at home alone...eeeek..... we have lived in Zambia although she also currently boards at the Wykeham and Collegiate but there is always someone with her when I am at work and she is at home. Whole different take on life I guess. xx

Edited by julesktm1

If your child is really talented at sport or academics, it's also worth keeping a look out for part or full scholarships. They are usually advertised (quietly) on the school website.

At my son's school half the boarder boys are on rugby scholarships.

Edited by Bronwyn&Co
  • Like 2

Julesktm - we are lucky that my son is very excited about the move. Although he loves his school, there is no way he would consider staying if we moved to Aus. I couldn't imagine leaving without him, so I do think you are very brave!

Hi Bronwyn, I have asked about scholarships and been told that there aren't currently any on offer. My husband will go and see each of the schools when he moves across in July and hopefully he can try and negotiate something! It really doesn't surprise me that rugby scholarships are offered, it just annoys me that cricket is always looked at as the poor relation next to rugby. Are Australian schools as fanatical about their rugby as they are over here?

• Like 1

Hi Maxi mom - I walked past the most amazing cricket academy in Perth this last December - If I recall I think it was ACE - why dont you google and then find out if they can give you advice on what feeder schools there may be or how it all works - Just an idea but maybe long shot though. Best of luck to your little family xxx

Just wrote a long post but somehow lost it - Grrr!!!

Basically, Aussie rules football is more popular than Rugby in Perth, but not sure where Cricket fits into the pecking order!

Recently visited Hale, Christ Church and Scotch College and was really impressed with all of them. Unfortunately all full for year 7!! Having said that, all the registrars (who couldn't be nicer or more helpful) mentioned that job cuts in the mining sector have had a big impact on enrollments and were fairly positive about places coming up later in the year. We will probably have to take whichever one comes up first, so just as well I like them all :)

Julesktm1, if I remember, you will be going to Joondalup. My cousin has his girls at Lake Joondalup Baptist College and is delighted with the school (academic and extra-curricular). My nephew has his kids at Prendiville College (Catholic) and is equally happy. Both schools are reasonably priced, so there will probably be waiting lists. If you want an all girls school, I think St Mary's (Anglican school, sister school to Hale) is in Karrinyup, but is quite a lot more expensive than the other two.

Best I go before I lose this post too - best of luck with finding the right places for your kids and wishing you both smooth and successful moves.

Cheers

Dill

• Like 1