shannonc4

Over the last few months, we have been sorting and rummaging through our :censored: and have been deliberating on whether or not to take our bed and linen. From what we have been told by family and friends who have gone over, we should not bother taking our bed or linen as the bed sizes in Aus are different.

After thinking about this for awhile we decided to do some research as we did some mock on-line shopping the other day and found linen to be hellishly more expensive than RSA. We came to find that it is possible to take over your bed and linen from RSA.

For an Australian Single, buy a South African Single

For an Australian Double, buy a South African Double

For an Australian Queen, buy a South African Queen Extra Length

For an Australian Super King, buy a South African King Extra Length

All sizes are in cm's, this is a combination of Wikipedia information and from online shops in both Australia and South Africa

post-17790-0-46772000-1391881349_thumb.j

• Like 11

While linen may be expensive I have found that the thread count is far higher. Woolworths RSA is normally good quality but its thread count is often only 250. Aus thread count starts at 250 and goes up to 1000. It is quite something to sleep on a 1000 thread count sheet.

• Like 1

The South African Queen Duvet cover still fits an Oz Queen Duvet Inner (aka Doona).

We did not bring our bed (for many reasons) but brought all our linen. The Linen just fits (very tightly) on an Aussie bed.

In terms of cost saving for the initial period, it will work to bring your linen, and then replace in time when you can afford to.

That's what we have decided to do. We are only bringing a move cube so no space for our bed but I will bring our linen just to cut a few costs.

• 5 months later...

@Shannonc, how did that movecube work out for you? What size did you eventually go with and what did you pack in?

I'm thinking of using one myself...

Hi Marcie

We actually haven't sent for our stuff yet. I'll keep you posted when we do

Thanks. Will appreciate it.

I decided to try something another forumite did - I went to my garage yesterday and measured the dimensions of the 3 Move Cube options. I also put a note on the wall with the 3 prices. This has given me an idea of how big small, medium and large are and how much extra space I would be getting for R x more, etc. Maybe worth a try to give yourself a visual idea of the size.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I would think quite carefully before deciding whether or not to leave your beds behind.  A reasonable quality bed in Oz ranges in price from $1,500 and $3,500 and can go as high as $6,000 for a king size bed and base.  Many families transition children onto bunk beds and room sharing because of the cost of rentals.  

Check out the post here on Movecube - here's a 3d drawing of the large cube and what fits into it: