Life in the land of Oz!

BriD

Bridget sounds like you guys have settled down really well, all the best on your hubby's new adventure.

• Like 1

Happy New Year Bri!!!!!!!!!! sounds like all is going brilliantly. Have an awesome 2015!!!!

• 1 month later...

Wow!! We have been in Australia for 1 year and 10 days! It feels like we have been here forever - in the best way of course lol. Been a very eventful year of finding our feet and we have really learnt so very much about ourselves. What a year!

And now...the year ahead is set to be the year we start to build our life here in Aus. I am in the middle of my studies for Vet Nursing, working more shifts every month. I think I have a good chance of being offered a permanent spot at my vet clinic...it seems to be less work placement now and more work now...so that is exciting. Hubby is busy working on setting up his consulting business, and seems there may be some prospects in his current job possibly on the cards...it shall be interesting to see what happens. Amy has started school - been a tough 2 weeks of crying and separation anxiety...but her teacher says in class she is doing really well, it is just the playground that is a bit overwhelming for her. Dan is doing well at preschool...now one of the big kids he seems to have matured a bit into that role...very proud of my big boy.

We have been earnestly looking at properties to buy...and last weekend we came home very despondent after visiting 4 serious reno houses in the area we like....they are like the bottom of the range in the area we live. And even then they are out of our price range...starting prices over $820 000.00...we just not willing to stretch ourselves to the maximum and then be in trouble if we cannot make ends meet. After feeling really down in the dumps we had a chat and I suggested that we need to adjust our perspective and stop looking for a house and rather look at Townhouses. It may not be our dream...but there is time enough to go for that when we are in a better position financially.

We went to see one not far from the area we live...in another suburb...still lovely. We loved it. The perspective adjustment really helped us. It is a 3 bedroom modern townhouse, fully renovated...nothing needs to be done. We decided to make a head decision and "invest" in a property. We will live there as well, pay it off as soon as we can and then when we are in a better position to buy a house, we will rent out the townhouse. Especially as we don't know if hubby will get a transfer to another city...and if he does...we can easily rent out our townhouse. So today we had a bidding war with a Chinese investor couple....was HUGELY stressful, but we won it and the deal is signed!!! We are very excited, and relieved - we found out on Friday that our Landlord plans to move back into his house at the end of our lease in May...so we have to move anyways. Feels good to know where we will go.

In other news...I did a completely crazy thing and agreed to be 1 of a team of 4 doing the Oxfam Trailwalker Challenge in August. I am not sure what I was smoking when I agreed...but I am strangely exhilarated at the prospect of it. Walking 100kms through the Aussie Bush in 48 Hours....should be interesting. I need to train in earnest for it...I could not pretend that I am super fit...but I think it will be an awesome experience!

I guess I had better get some studying in...feeling so excited, but need to knuckle down.

xx

• Like 4

WOW Bri, I can't believe a year has gone by already. I remember when I join saaustralia you were the first person to leave and I have followed your story so closely since then. Now you have been settled for just over a year and we are almost in the same place you were at the beginning of last year.

How things change!

So many exciting things happening for you! Wishing you guys all of the next with the new house and the business opportunities :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here I sit typing when I should really be packing!! Yes...things are happening very quickly now and we have yet another crazy move ahead of us. Crazy because of the time frames at play...the move itself is really just to a suburb nearby.

We need to pack our house into storage on the 23rd March, camp in our house that night. On the 24th March we leave super early to go to the airport to fly to South Africa for our 3 week trip. As we arrive back into Sydney on the 14th April, we will go straight from the airport to the estate agent to collect the keys to our new townhouse (our very own!! YAY!) and then go there and camp in the new place. On the 15th we will start unpacking our lives again into our new place.

So we have just over 2 weeks to go till the big pack up day. Tomorrow my brother arrives from RSA for a 2 week visit, his first ever overseas trip! So we gotta mix up packing and touristy visits in the next 2 weeks. Then we can also just throw into the mix our second container which is arriving next week at our house having cleared customs!!

We are also in the middle of changing addresses of all our post, selling off furniture we won't need in our new place, finding people to do an end of lease clean and end of lease gardening. Also we are still working all our normal shifts, kids are at school, there are readers to be read...house work to be done. And I have another cake order for the 21st March!!

So I think we are seriously attempting to make 2015 a bigger challenge than 2014...deep breathes....in a few short weeks it will all be over. Just gotta take a deep breath and plug away at it!

See you all on the flip side!!

Edited by BriD
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Oh my goodness!! How time has been flying! Already midway through the year!!!

So we are slowly getting rid of 80% of everything we hauled across the ocean on 2 containers 1 year apart from each other. When we received that second container of things we had stored for over a year in RSA...I just knew that there would most likely be things in there that we would no longer want. Those things you wonder what on earth you were thinking hoarding them for so long...and then shipping them overseas...only to be discarded on the other side. I think the thing we were most happy to see in that second container was our lounge suite...and that was about it. Since we started unpacking we have been making trips to Salvos, throwing things away, selling what we can (for a song I might add...) and giving AWESOME stuff away for free. Sigh. Lesson learnt... I think if I had to do it again...I would only keep the lounge suite and sentimental things and items that hold meaning. We could buy shares in IKEA seriously...that is how many things we have bought there - things bought to fit the space of our house better than the things we had. Ultimately...you don't know where you gonna live, what sort of space you will have...don't lug it all here...you will replace a lot of it sooner than you think.

Otherwise, things remain crazy busy, juggling 2 work schedules, kids routines, housework, studying and this Oxfam trailwalker challenge I am doing...we are just pressed for time all of the time. Someone said to me recently - welcome to being truly settled... lol...if being busy is settled...then I guess we are!

Hubby has applied for a promotion at his work...seems like he might have a good shot at it. He was also contacted via linked in by another company with a similar senior position available that they want him to send in his resume for. So we hoping that he gets the opportunity to have a more challenging and fulfilling position...so we shall see what happens.

It has been really great to settle into our own townhouse...knowing we have no deadlines, no inspections and that it is not a train smash if a texta lands on the floor and puts a mark there. It is definitely a wonderful feeling to own again. Our neighbour, an elderly lady, seems to be unpopular in our complex....but she has been ever so kind to us. She even helped me out by babysitting the kids for 3 hours when I needed to leave at 5am for a training hike when hubby was only going to be home at 8am. She offered without me even asking...I felt so bad to wake an 80 something year old up at that time of the morning...but she did me such a favour. Australians are such friendly amazing people...I continue to feel overwhelmed by the unexpected kindness you find from people.

We are once again in the position of having applied for a position in a school that we are not in the zone for. We moved even further away now and I am holding onto the hope that because my daughter is in Kindy there that they will offer a place to my son for kindy next year. I wrote another long letter explaining our reasons and we have gone out of our way in the beginning half of this year to volunteer for school things, bring donations...and really just go the extra mile to show we are part of the school community. And so we wait for the letter saying yay or nay...

The big thing dominating my life right now is this crazy walk I am doing. The Oxfam trailwalker challenge in Sydney. 100km Bush walking in 48 hours...walking day and night, 7 checkpoints along the way to have a short rest and stock up on water and eat something...and then on and on and on. The training part of it has been fun, we have done some amazing bushwalks in the Sydney area...my favourite by far the Royal National Park coastal trek...30kms of incredible cliffs, beaches, ridges, palm forests....it is so beautiful. What a pleasure to live so close to such beauty. We also tried out a section of the actual trail 2 weeks back...pretty hard core stuff...some sections more climbing and clambering up rocks than walking....but again so beautiful. People tend to focus so much on the city side of Sydney....but the surrounds of this city, the national parks, the waterways...are what make it special for me. I honestly couldn't care less if I could not go into the city for a year...all I need is the natural surrounds...that makes me fall in love with Australia again and again every time I am out there. Another large part of this challenge is the fundraising part of it...not so much fun...but that is what makes the challenge more meaningful...trying to make a difference while completing a physical challenge. We getting there bit by bit. Was truly touched by the generous donation of a member of this forum who has never met me...but donated to me and my team for this. You know who you are and your generosity to a "stranger" really touched me. Thank you again.

The social side is also very good, I am getting to know my teammates more, building on my new friendships. Meeting new people. Have had a couple of injuries along the way, which has led to me having a dedicated podiatrist on speed dial...but hopefully we getting that stuff sorted out. Hopefully I will manage to complete this crazy challenge intact :stretcher::ilikeit:

As far as how we are going in our second year in Oz...I think in some ways it has been a bit more difficult. I don't know if it is because of the moving stress etc, or the visit back to RSA that threw us out a bit....but I have found myself having more down days in the last couple of weeks than before. However, as I manage to regain control of all the balls I am juggling, I am starting to feel a bit better again. This journey is ongoing and even when you think you are finally "there" where you want to be...you still will find bumps in the road.

The next couple of months...nothing is going to calm down...we have a visit from my In Laws in August combined with our first major holiday (aside from RSA) to Fiji!! I cannot wait!! Then straight after that...I attempt this crazy 100km Oxfam Trailwalker challenge end of August!! Then a week after that - my parents arrive in Australia to visit for 3 weeks...this is a major deal for me. My mom has never set foot outside of RSA, and it will be AMAZING to show them the life we have built here.

I am sorry I cannot be online as much as I would like...but am always around to help if someone needs advice or wants to chat. Feel free to pm me.

Chat soon

Bri

• Like 3

Thanks so much for continuing to include us in your thoughts, it's really great to read about your journey.

• 1 month later...

We have just returned from a truly wonderful holiday in Fiji. I feel so blessed to be able to visit such an exotic and beautiful place. Living in Australia has certainly brought us closer to destinations that were once too far flung to even really consider. I am so looking forward to exploring more countries around here.

My In-laws were visiting as well and came with us to Fiji. It has been a whirlwind 2 weeks having them here. The kids have been sharing, so their room looks like a bomb exploded with all their possessions squeezed into one room while the other is used as a guest room. They went home today, but this weekend my cousin is coming to visit and then in 2 weeks time my own parents are coming for 3 weeks! It seems that visits are always squished into one flurry of activity rather than spread out!!

Yesterday I received the letter I have been waiting for...my son has been offered an "out of zone" placement at the public school that my daughter goes to. I was really worried that he might not get in even though Amy is there. It is one less stressful thing to think about now that I know both my kids are in the school I want them in. Phew! Dan is very excited now and is very upset that there are so many sleeps to go until he starts there.

Hubby seems to have had his resume shelved by his boss for this position at his company...it is all very offensive actually. His boss told the recruitment agent he would interview hubby internally for the post - and since then...nothing. The least he could have done was let him know they would not be considering him for the post. Hubby is now searching more actively for something else. It is not desperate...but if the right thing comes along, he will take it.

I have taken on far too much this year....this trailwalker is now NEXT WEEK!!! And I am looking forward to getting it done and dusted. One less thing on my list of things to do. I really need to get back on top of my studies and get it done as well. Juggling acts are tough! I didn't realise how stressed out I had become until I ended up in Fiji on day 1 of our wonderful holiday in tears about all the things I need to do and couldn't do because I was away. I think I have never needed a holiday as much as I did this one. Nothing like physically removing yourself from everything to catch your breath and have some time to re-energise yourself to carry on. I definitely feel better now than I did a week ago.

I guess I had better get back to all those things I need to do. :)

xx

• Like 2

Sounds like good news all round. :)

In a children's story, Watership Down, there are rabbits who have the saying:"One cloud feels lonely." I've always preferred that to "It never rains but it pours."

Anyway, enjoy all the company, at least this way you will also be glad to have the house to yourselves again, and not just feel sad that everyone has gone home again.

Glad you had a holiday and enjoyed it,and am sure you can't wait for your parents visit. Glad things are going well.

We also came back from Fiji on Monday! :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I cannot believe how time has flown in this last half of the year....it has been a whirlwind of visits, walks, studying, working, housework, juggling life...etc etc etc

I had my big walk - Oxfam Trailwalker Sydney at the end of August. It was such a disappointing emotionally charged weekend for me...I started off strong, but about 16kms into the grade 5 sections my knee just seized completely. I could not bend it at all and it was awful...we had such steep descents and ascents...I dragged that leg up and down 7 more kilometres until I reached a place where I could retire from the event. It was such a hard decision, but I was in extreme pain and I was slowing my team to the point that I was jeopardising their chances of finishing. I cried for ages about it...I trained so so hard and worked so hard towards it...but my knee just gave in. 2 of my teammates managed to complete the 100kms...I am so very proud of them. Ultimately...it was such a rewarding experience...all the training and working up towards the event. It was worth every moment...not finishing, while disappointing, does not take away from all that I gained from the experience. I have come away from it with a deep love of bushwalking and exploring and some amazing friends and a support network that I value deeply.

After the trailwalker, a week later to be precise, my parents arrived for their first visit to Australia. I remember waiting for them at the airport, watching everyone around me rushing to greet their people...lots of tears...imagining their stories...just watching all of them made me get a huge lump in my throat...so when my parents rounded the corner I was just overwhelmed with emotion. I feel like I have successfully managed to push down any longing for people in my day to day life until the moment comes when I see them again...then the door of emotion bursts wide open and I cannot contain it. I guess it must be a protection mechanism.

They were here for 3 weeks...during the cold snap in September that Sydney dealt with. But it did not change how much fun we had showing them our lives and all our favourite places. I did some bushwalks with my Mom - special special times...I know where I get my need to explore and see what is around the next corner...totally from her. She was game for anything...we went bushwalking in gale force winds and rain...it was so awesome such great memories.

The day they went home...it was worse than I could EVER have anticipated. I knew it would be hard...but I think it was harder than saying goodbye the day we immigrated...I kept hugging them I just could not let them go. And when they disappeared around that corner at the airport...I was just devastated. Even typing this now a month later makes me well up at the memory of it. I got home that day...and it KILLED me knowing they were still in the country but we couldn't be together because they were on the other side of the airport. I went and lay in the bed where my mom had slept...put my head where her head had slept at night and bawled my eyeballs out for hours and hours...the children were trying to comfort me, and despite my best efforts I just could not gather myself. It was horrendous. Finally my neighbour (a sweet and very direct old lady) came to see how I was...she gave me a hug and then ordered me to get up and go out and do something with the rest of the day. I took her advice and took my sorry self and the kids to see a movie - Oddball. It was the best thing I could have done...I seriously needed a distraction.

My expat friends rallied around me too and invited us for bbq's and coffee dates in the days that followed - forever grateful for the friends I have made - especially the ones who understand how difficult it is to say goodbye to family not knowing when you will see them again.

After all that...we tried to get back into some kind of routine...I have been trying to get back into studying, my son is preparing to go to big school next year, my daughter is dancing in a big concert soon, hubby is working and dabbling in a second job too, I am also working in between all the stuff. Trying to declutter...we brought FAR TOO MUCH STUFF from RSA. I have donated so much to Salvos...and I still need to get rid of more things. It is unbelievable what you can accumulate.

And now...we are preparing for yet another family visit. My Brother-in-law, his wife and their 1 year old arrive on Sunday for a week long visit with us. Their first visit to Sydney. It seems they may be looking at a possible move...so doing an LSD - Perth, Auckland, Sydney and Brisbane....so should be interesting to see what they think. I don't know how serious they are...but will be good to see them. Trying to baby proof my house has been interesting...but I have been astounded at the generosity and kindness of complete strangers - I asked on the local facebook group for my area Sutherland Shire if anyone could loan me Babygates and a Car seat....had 2 separate offers for loaning of these items from total strangers at no cost. The trust and generosity of Australians continues to amaze me...what a wonderful country we live in. I feel lucky everyday to be here.

As far as how we are feeling drawing closer to the 2 year anniversary of our new start in Australia - we continue to have no regrets. We love Australia...there has never been a moment for either of us that we wish we could go back or regret the decision to leave. We are so grateful to feel so happy here, we know that it is not the way for everyone. Obviously life has ups and downs no matter where you are...I hate Australian Trolleys and I still have a phobia of Funnel Webs and Eastern Brown Snakes...but I love my life here and I could never return to the old way of living in fear and anxiety. The day we get our citizenship and become Australian Citizens will be a day to remember for us...counting down - we are more than half way to that goal! How quickly time has passed!

I know I do not write often now, life is pretty hectic. But I am always available to help with questions for newcomers to Sydney...or people in the process. Always willing to help in anyway that I can.

xx

• Like 12

Thanks for the post BriD, I just wrote on another thread how much I like following the journals of people as they settle into their new lives. It kind of puts the thought at the back of my mind that:"If they can do it, so can we." And I think it also gives some kind of frame of reference when people post about the things that catch them unawares, as though knowing something might happen can help one be more prepared for it?

I'm glad to read you now have a friendly support group taking care of you guys in Sydney, and that in total you are very happy with your choice. :)

• Like 1

Wonderful post! Thanks for sharing.

Carla

• Like 1

Hi BriD. I haven't been on for ages so was lovely to read your posts and see how settled and happy you are.

• 1 month later...

And here we are rapidly approaching our second Christmas in the wonderful land of Oz. I just cannot believe how time has passed...only 7 weeks to go and we will have been living in this amazing country for 2 years.

This year has been a very intense very busy year for us. I never thought we could have a year more huge than the last one when we immigrated....but this year has really been close to matching the intensity. It has had some amazingly wonderful moments and some intensely sad and low moments...but this is life. We have had many visitors this year and have loved showing them around our new home city, but their departures have been incredibly difficult and reminded us how far far away we are.

However...at this stage in our journey...despite the distance of our families we continue to feel utterly and absolutely blessed to be able to call Australia home. I still have moments where it feels surreal that we have made it and made a life here and just walking on the beach with my son can bring me to almost tears when I contemplate how lucky I am to be here. The freedom and joy that comes with that freedom can never be matched in South Africa...and now I could never give it up...never.

Hubby is in the process of having interviews for a new job. As mentioned before he is bored and it seems like nothing much is happens to move in his current place. So he is currently working his way through the interview process for 2 different jobs and hopefully one of them will offer him a position. If not, he will just keep his eyes open and continue to try for positions that look right. It has made an amazing difference to have Australian Experience now and after applying for these 2 posts he was called the same day for the phone interview and has progressed along each phase pretty quickly. So here's to crossing fingers / holding thumbs that he has a new challenge in the new year.

I am in a frenzy of trying to juggle all my responsibilities - Being a mom (one that does more than just keep them alive), studying my Cert 4 in Veterinary Nursing, working on average 3 shifts a week at a Veterinary Clinic, trying to keep a handle on the cleaning. Can I just say right now....

I AM A TERRIBLE HOUSEKEEPER

There...I said it. I am STILL trying to find some kind of routine to get on top of this housework thing. Some days I feel like the pressure of trying to just keep up with the laundry, and cleaning is soul destroying. I sound dramatic - I know. However...I was totally spoilt in RSA...when I became a mom I had a domestic worker 5 days a week...and I knew how much she did....but I never KNEW HOW MUCH she did...if you know what I mean. And I have dropped my standards I can assure you...so it is not a matter of having a sparkly home...it is the bare necessities. I do realise though...that adding studying to my workload really messed me up...and when I finish this course I am probably going to have so much more time. So I am trying to be gentle to myself and cut myself some slack. Hiring a cleaner right now...not on my agenda...I would not be willing to pay for someone to clean my home just yet.

There is a lot of excitement in the house at the moment as Daniel my son gets ready to go to big school next year! I cannot believe that I will have 2 school going children in just a few weeks. How life will change!! I have agreed to start working Monday, Wednesday and Friday from February next year consistently. I filled in the forms and submitted them for afterschool care for the kids...and have been wracked with guilt ever since. However...I think they will enjoy it and it helps us financially and me mentally to exercise my brain and have a slice of my life for me and something other than parenting. I am due to finish my Cert 4 in about 6 months - hopefully sooner. I am hoping that 2016 is going to be a year of stabilising and more routine. So we shall see.

We are about to move another lump of money from RSA and I woke up this morning to see the Rand had plummeted...how lovely...feeling more anxious than ever about family and friends over there. Wish there was a way to bring everyone here. Been asked more and more for advice from people who are looking to leave and it is so sad to realise that things really are not getting any better. It is so sad :( 

We are loving life in Sydney right now....I have to say it was never my first choice...but it is just so beautiful. I don't live in the city, work in the city or live near the city...I am out in the suburbs and I LOVE it. I would not want to live in the inner city suburbs - just ain't my thing. I am all about the natural beauty, landscapes and animals and birds...and I get all of that here in my Southern corner of this amazing city.  In saying that...I was out in the Northern Beaches area a few weeks back and marvelled at the spectacular coast and scenery there too on a hike in the Kuringai-chase National Park opposite Barrenjoey Lighthouse. Sydney just has something for everyone....I don't see us moving from here anytime soon.

Anyhow...I best get on with...yes....THE CLEANING!!! BLEH!! LOL!

Bye for now

xx

• Like 4

What a wonderful post! :D thanks for sharing.

• 4 months later...

How quickly the last few months have gone!!

Sadly I lost another loved one in January this year. We were away in Austria on a skiing trip with my husband's family. While we were there my dear Granny in South Africa had to have an angiogram - it went wrong. The doctor punctured through the blood vessel wall and she started bleeding out in her abdomen. For over a week she was in ICU being kept alive with machines and blood transfusions. She passed away on the 17th January 2016. It was crushing for me...my gran was like my second mom, we were very close. Having lost my grandfather the year before almost to the day, I had thought that there was nothing worse being on another continent when a loved one back in RSA died. I discovered this time that it was even worse being on holiday on yet a whole other continent...with people who did not have the same connection with your loved one and who were still on holiday. So I could not even be at home in Sydney grieving the loss of my gran...I was "stuck" in Austria amongst happy skiers absolutely devastated. I just could not wait to get back to Sydney, to be back where I was comfortable and was free to cry. Tough gig this whole immigration thing when you loose someone you love. Though nothing in comparison to the devastating loss that Toitjie and her children have suffered...I think of you every day Toitjie xx

This year so far...has not been as settled as I had anticipated. We decided to invest in another property back in our first suburb we lived in in Sydney - Oyster Bay. We loved living there and kids go to school there, it really feels like we put roots down there. We were fortunate enough to have some money from the sale of investments coming over from RSA, allowing us to buy another property. We have just moved into our new place and will be renting out our townhouse. We now have 2 bonds - a scary thought to be in such debt, but it feels good knowing we have solid investments here now. It is absolutely lovely to be back amongst the birds and the wildlife in this quiet corner of the Shire. No more busy road with traffic noise...just the sound of birds and the wind in the trees. Still surrounded by boxes...but feeling very at home already in our new place.

Hubby has changed jobs...he was offered the position just before we left for Austria in January and started at his new job in February. He works 2pm-10pm Mon to Thurs and 11 - 7pm on Fridays with weekends off. So it is really a better roster for us, great to have every weekend to spend together now.

I am still working on my studies, becoming alot harder now as I am working 3 days a week, combined with parenting, cleaning house, kids activities...it's a pretty packed week. I cannot wait to finish! I am really enjoying what I am doing - Veterinary Nursing. My boss gave me an increase recently and complimented me on how hard I work. It is great to feel so appreciated at work and I really feel like I have settled in nicely there. From being a work placement for my studies it has become my job, I feel very fortunate. It is so nice to love what you do. 

Both my kiddies are in school now, Kindy and Year 1 respectively. I am so happy with their school, really both are doing well there. My daughter is excelling in reading and teachers have said she is now on the level expected in Year 3. They are working with her now to expand her reading skills laterally, honing in on punctuation etc. After all I have heard about Australian schools being happy with students being average, it was nice to see that they are helping her to go further than expected because she is capable. Very impressed, I could not speak more highly of them. 

I continue to enjoy exploring this amazing city that Sydney is...all the beautiful natural wonders...just recently found an abandoned railway tunnel which is now home to thousands of glowworms. I took my kiddies there and a good friend of mine. In RSA I would never have gone near a place like that...but here in Australia...free to explore even dark wet tunnels looking for glowworms without fear. I love this country, I love feeling so free.

Although I do not write very often now, I am always around...so if anyone needs help or wants to just, just PM me and I am quite willing to be of assistance wherever possible.

xx

• Like 11

• 2 months later...

Thank you so much for the journal, it is really inspirational. Just read it from page 1 to page 6 in preparation for our move at the end of the year.

• 6 months later...

Time really is flying...I cannot believe I last updated my journal in April last year! Shameful!!

The rest of 2016 just flew by and all of a sudden we are only 2 weeks out from our 3 year anniversary of our arrival in beautiful Australia! In September of this year we will be able to apply for citizenship!! It has gone by so very quickly! 

We remain as we have always been - extremely grateful and happy to have the chance to live and work in such an amazing country. Our children are thriving in their school, we have built a support network of good friends around us that we can count on, we love where we live. Yes, our families live on another continent, and if you give yourself chance to ponder on it, you can really allow yourself to sink into sadness about the distance. Personally, I feel I do not allow myself to ponder on it, it can't be changed...it is what it is. I phone my family once a week and chat for 3 hours a time, we all feel like we still know what is happening in each other's lives and that is hugely helpful in keeping the closeness and the contact. We send pictures via Whatsapp and keep up to date with little day to day things. It is working for us.

Hubby's family have started to make major moves to find a way to Australia. His sister - a Sports Doctor has secured a job in Grafton and is in the final stages of doing her exams and skills assessments to be allowed to work in Aus. They expect (Sister, her hubby and their 2 kiddies) to be in Australia by mid 2017. His brother's family will be spending 3 months in Perth allowing his brother's wife (a nurse) to do a conversion course to allow her Nursing Degree to be recognized and given a positive skills assessment. It is quite amazing for us to see the change in their approach...when we left it was a very unpopular decision...and now it seems they are all wanting to come over. It will be lovely to have more family within Australia no doubt. Unfortunately...for my family it is not possible and highly unlikely any of them will come over for anything other than visits.

We did a highly secretive trip back to South Africa in September/October last year as a surprise for my MIL who was celebrating her 60th birthday. We also got to meet our new niece and spend a bit of time with both sides of our families. I say secretive because we decided to keep in an exclusively "family ONLY" visit. No friends were even aware we were there. It helped a lot to make the trip a bit less intense and hectic. I felt a lot more at ease this time, and more like a tourist in some ways. I found myself wandering around African shops and purchasing a few beaded items and jewelry. We spent 5 nights in Johannesburg,  2 nights in the Pilanesburg, 6 nights in Umhlanga and a night in Cape Town and enjoyed the beauty of Africa - this was a big deal for us actually...when we left we were so bitter and twisted about how things were it has literally taken moving to another continent and a few years away for me to actually be able to appreciate the good parts about RSA. It was all in all a good trip and a special time with family.

We have had a major surprise recently...I found out I am pregnant!! This was entirely not part of our plans and it took me a while to get my head around the idea of starting all over again from scratch with babies when both our kids are finally in school. I have also only just got back into work and it has been quite a big deal to change my direction again. Baby is due end July, beginning August...and will be the first aussie in our family!! How ironic! 

After the initial shock passed, I have started to become excited at the prospect of raising a little one in Aus! What a different experience it will be! I can take bub for walks in the pram on the promenade, go to the beach, go to all the amazing parks...it will be great! I have been joking about how I couldn't possibly not get the full aussie experience...that I have to experience pregnancy, birth and babydom in Ausland to get the full picture. 

Anyways...as always, I remain available to help anyone that needs advice or some insight into life on this side. I will never forget how much this site helped me when I was going through the process, and I am here to help wherever I can.

Love to all

Bri

X

• Like 9

What a lovely update @BriD and congratulations. 

Good to hear you are happy and thriving. 

• Like 1

Yup, I'd wondered what happened to you ;)  Glad to hear you're doing well. 

• Like 1