Life in the land of Oz!

BriD

I cannot believe that we have been here for nearly 5 months...time really passes so quickly. Life goes on no matter where you may be!

Hubby has settled into work nicely. The shifts are suiting us well...last Wednesday he was off, so while the kids were at preschool we went off to Cronulla Beach for a walk and a bacon and egg roll at the beachside café. We have more us time here than we did in RSA!

Otherwise, I have decided to look into studying by correspondence. Once both of the kidlets are at school I cannot picture myself not working at least part time. I originally studied Travel and Tourism in RSA, but I don't want to continue in that field. it is not the best when it comes to juggling family life and work. So I am hoping to start a 2 year correspondence course in Veterinary Nursing! I love animals, and I think I would enjoy going into this line. I think an Aussie qualification would be very good to have aswell....give me some options.

In the meantime, we attended a new church yesterday. And out of nowhere, started chatting with a lady and have ended up with my first aussie cake order!!! Awesome opportunity for me! Hopefully this is the start of getting back on my feet with my home baking business. Though it is quite a challenge...in this hyper allergic society...I will have to bake my first gluten free cake! So gonna try out the recipe this week...hope it goes well!

Kids are doing really well. Loving their preschool. I have enrolled Amy for school for next year....unfortunately we are out of the zone by 1 street...so I am going to have to pull out all the stops to try and ensure her a spot in that school. My next step is to write a heartfelt letter to the principal to explain our story etc and why I want her in that school and not the one we are zoned for (72 kids in whole school, composite classes etc)

Both the kids have started swimming lessons, and Amy is starting ballet lessons next term. Still need to find a soccer class for Dan.

I am still fumbling my way through the housework. I really need to set out a routine. It is getting done...but it would be better to have a plan in place so things don't get out of control. What I have discovered about myself over the last few months with regards to housework is:

1. I really took my dishwasher for granted...washing dishes is a pain in the butt. And like washing, it multiplies in front of your eyeballs if you don't keep a handle on it. The best part of my day is when I let the water out of the sink and I realise the dishes are done for the day! It is that relief you feel when you really need a pee and finally find a loo.

2. Packing away clothes is a mission! I totally did not expect it to become one of the difficult things.

3. Ironing...always hated it...always will

4. I get some strange satisfaction during the 5 minutes post cleaning where the house looks sparkly...before the kids undo everything again. I always take time to sip at a cuppa tea while admiring my labours. Lol

I decided to stop feeding the cockatoos everyday. For a few days after I had them sitting on the windowsills peeping at me waiting for me to come out. But they don't really come anymore. I have compromised at throwing out some seed once a week or so...so they come every now and then, but don't expect it.

My In-laws have booked tickets to come and visit us for about 2 weeks in August. I am quite looking forward to it, and I hope it will give the kids and the grandparents a good opportunity to spend a lot of time together without any cousins to compete with. I think it will def be a very valuable trip for their relationship. I am looking forward to showing them the life we have made for ourselves, and hope they will understand why we are happy here when they can experience life here for themselves.

Anyways...that's all from me for now. I had better get on with the week ahead.

xxx

• Like 7

Thank you so much for your updates! We love reading them.

• Like 2

I love reading them too! Thanks BriD (and glad you decided to feed the birds a little bit, lol)

• Like 2

Thanks!! :) So sweet of you both to say :blush:

Edited by BriD
  • Like 1

You should be proud of what you have achieved so far. Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

• Like 1

Yes, love every post and enjoy reading about your adventure! Please keep posting them

So glad things are going so well xxx

• Like 1

Loving the updates too!

re housework, it helps me to have the whiteboard in our kitchen, where I can set out a routine - plus it's a whiteboard, so not set in stone, you know?

I knew a guy a few years ago who claimed he never ironed anything - instead he'd take everything straight out the tumble dryer and hang it up. He never looked scruffy so I guess it worked. ;)

But ja hey... I honestly don't know what we'd do without the dishwasher... I'm allergic to sunlight (as in my hands peel completely if I do a sinkful of dishes)... I really love our dishwasher! Is there no way you can get one? Maybe from freecycle if you're lucky?

Glad everything is going well! Think of you guys often. :)

• Like 1

Loving the updates too!

re housework, it helps me to have the whiteboard in our kitchen, where I can set out a routine - plus it's a whiteboard, so not set in stone, you know?

I knew a guy a few years ago who claimed he never ironed anything - instead he'd take everything straight out the tumble dryer and hang it up. He never looked scruffy so I guess it worked. ;)

But ja hey... I honestly don't know what we'd do without the dishwasher... I'm allergic to sunlight (as in my hands peel completely if I do a sinkful of dishes)... I really love our dishwasher! Is there no way you can get one? Maybe from freecycle if you're lucky?

Glad everything is going well! Think of you guys often. :)

Aw I wish it was as simple as buying a dishwasher. Our rental has no pipe work or place to have a dishwasher...so I am stuck handwashing...sigh. Believe me...if it were possible we would have one!

Thanks for the thoughts :hug:

Ahhh man!!! :( That sucks :(

Aw I wish it was as simple as buying a dishwasher. Our rental has no pipe work or place to have a dishwasher...so I am stuck handwashing...sigh. Believe me...if it were possible we would have one!

Thanks for the thoughts :hug:

Is there room in the laundry? A friend of mine did this.

I paid for dishwasher plumbing in two rentals. In one of them it meant moving the stove (and paying for those electrics) and getting the dishwasher to the space left by the stove. In a third I had it in the laundry next door. I painted in almost every rental, put blinds up, curtain rods for my curtains, larger stick on mirrors in almost every rental (what is it with 15cm x 20cm mirrors in bathrooms?!) Jeepers, I am SO glad I am not renting any more and will be carried out of here one day. Feet first!

• Like 1

No room in the Laundry...we have a washing machine and a dryer in there and no more space.

But maybe we should consider getting the pipework put in...there is a space that looks like it is meant for a dishwasher...but no pipes...maybe we should just do ourselves (and the landlord) a favour by getting it done. I suppose it is about making your life as comfortable as you can...even if you are renting...to a limit of course.

No room in the Laundry...we have a washing machine and a dryer in there and no more space.

But maybe we should consider getting the pipework put in...there is a space that looks like it is meant for a dishwasher...but no pipes...maybe we should just do ourselves (and the landlord) a favour by getting it done. I suppose it is about making your life as comfortable as you can...even if you are renting...to a limit of course.

Suggest you consider moving the dryer above the washing machine, if space allows for this. This might just free up that necessary space required...

Suggest you consider moving the dryer above the washing machine, if space allows for this. This might just free up that necessary space required...

Aw man...I wish we could...but there is a window above the washing machine (top loader too) and a cupboard above the dryer :glare:

For anyone wanting to make improvements in a rental - Just remember to ask the property manager for permission in writing. You'll probably have to leave it behind when you go. In the case of a big item like a dishwasher, I would offer to pay half and request that the landlord pay half. He/she can claim the expense on tax and you get the benefit for a while, hopefully a year or two. Also, ppty managers have tradies that can install a dishwasher cheap and quickly. But make them quote first!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ah man...we are stuck with such a sucky situation with this Melbourne Rental of ours...still no new tenants have been found...and we have now paid 2 rentals for 2 months...it is not a good situation. We keep calling the agent every 2 weeks or so to get some updates...they say they had an application which was withdrawn. But as it stands...feeling very much like our hands are tied :( We cannot carry on much longer paying 2 rentals...we are eating into what is left of the capital we brought with. It seems so wasteful to end up paying for a flat that stands empty...makes me feel sick actually.

But the fact is...we could not have said no to the Sydney offer. I wish with all my heart we had only agreed to a 6 month lease...it would have nearly been over by now :(

Tonight my hubby wrote an email to my cousin (cos I am too pathetic and woosy to ask) to explain the situation and ask if there is anything on his side he can do to try and make this process go faster. Or if we can come to another arrangement of some sort. I guess if you don't ask you will never know. I am praying SO hard that he shows us mercy and lets us out of at least some of the remaining lease.

I don't know why it is taking so long to find a tenant...it is really in a great upmarket area, close to public transport...rent only $360 per week. I just don't understand....I thought the rental market is crazy and competitive in Australia....clearly not.

So if I have learnt anything from this...it is...if you have no job...don't commit to a year long lease...do a 6 month if you can. This is not the situation you want to be in.

BriD call the tenants union of Victoria and have a chat with them for advice.

http://www.tuv.org.au

There are a number of Whirlpool discussions about what to do in a break lease situation. Here's one-

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2103483

Your landlord or agent should have the property online for the same rental amount and be showing it regularly. They have an obligation to do everything possible. I believe you can also advertise for eg. on Gumtree but you don't have much say if the owner declines people you found, for some reason.

I hope it gets resolved quickly. Was the place furnished? Unusual to have it hang around so long.

Edited by Bronwyn&Co
  • Like 1

BriD, really holding thumbs for you. It does sound as if they are not putting much effort into moving it on. Please keep us posted - have been watching your journey with so much interest - your journals have been really motivational.

• Like 1

A nice flat in Melbourne stuck on the rental market for two months? Sounds absurd to me. I have never heard of something like that. In Sydney (at least) even the dumps rent just a bit slower than the rest. Which is very fast. I would venture that the agent is lazy, because you pay anyway. Yes, the owner ( and you) need to put pressure on the agent. I would bug them daily.

• Like 1

Yes they don't care because they are still getting paid. I might be tempted to stop...that might inspire matters. Difficult situation.

BriD call the tenants union of Victoria and have a chat with them for advice.

http://www.tuv.org.au

There are a number of Whirlpool discussions about what to do in a break lease situation. Here's one-

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2103483

Your landlord or agent should have the property online for the same rental amount and be showing it regularly. They have an obligation to do everything possible. I believe you can also advertise for eg. on Gumtree but you don't have much say if the owner declines people you found, for some reason.

I hope it gets resolved quickly. Was the place furnished? Unusual to have it hang around so long.

Thanks Bronwyn. It was unfurnished...sigh.

Thanks for the links, I will contant the Tenants Union tomorrow and have a chat about this. It is really a ridiculous situation!

Yes they don't care because they are still getting paid. I might be tempted to stop...that might inspire matters. Difficult situation.

Yeah...we are tempted to do that...but it is my cousin's place...so family relationships complicate things a bit. Trying to push it the nice way to start with asking for his help with this....hopefully we will hear back from him soon

A nice flat in Melbourne stuck on the rental market for two months? Sounds absurd to me. I have never heard of something like that. In Sydney (at least) even the dumps rent just a bit slower than the rest. Which is very fast. I would venture that the agent is lazy, because you pay anyway. Yes, the owner ( and you) need to put pressure on the agent. I would bug them daily.

Yeah exactly...I hate bugging people...but think hubby and I will just have to alternate becoming a right nuisance...

BriD, really holding thumbs for you. It does sound as if they are not putting much effort into moving it on. Please keep us posted - have been watching your journey with so much interest - your journals have been really motivational.

Aw thanks man...I appreciate that. Watching your journey too! Let me know when you find streaky bacon!

I agree with Roz...

I think C is doing the right thing. There is no harm in asking. Your cousin *may* not be aware of what's going on (wrt you having to pay double now because the agent hasn't got other tenants in).

It really was a great flat in a really good area. I think it's unfathomable for it to stand "empty" for 2 months!

Hope you get it sorted out... this must be putting such an anchor on everything. :(

• Like 1

How exciting!! I am officially studying a Cert 4 Veterinary Nursing now. I have 2 years to complete it. I am so excited about it...feeling like I have a whole new lease on my independent life as me...sounds weird...but for 5 and a half years I have devoted my life to my kiddies. And it has been worth it for sure...but now I am working towards a goal for myself and our family...and will re-enter the job world when the kids start school.

We will definitely need 2 salaries if we want to buy a house anytime soon...so we have an extended plan. For now I will study and work towards my cert 4. By the time both kidlets are in school I will qualify and start working again. Then we will have 2 salaries and will be able to use the money from the sale of our properties in South Africa as a deposit and hopefully buy a place to call our own again. I realised that we have to let go of the dream of owning property for a little while...and it is not necessarily a bad thing. We will give the area we live in a good test run and when we are ready we will know better where we want to settle. (Though at this stage I could NEVER imagine leaving this area....I love it so much!!)

I will need to find a work placement in a veterinary clinic for 480 hours as part of my course. But can only start that a bit later on when I have reached a certain point in the studies. In the meantime I have started (today) volunteering at an animal shelter. It is a no-kill shelter so that at least makes it a bit easier. I had such a great time this morning cleaning out litter trays, replacing food and water, making the kitties comfy and then spending some time playing with them and stroking them and giving them some TLC. Def helps me get my "cat fix" since I cannot have any kitties at our rental now. I will be doing that every Wednesday morning. It is great to help in this way....so feeling very positive about everything :)

I am really going to have to be on the ball with working around all my duties, housework, kids stuff, studying, volunteering, general household admin. Gonna have to make a schedule for sure. BRING IT ON!! Whoop whoop! :ilikeit:

• Like 6

Sounds absolutely super. Am about to start my second tax course to try and make my skills more local friendly and hope to look for work in the new year. Would like to actually take a bit of a right turn and branch into internal audit or forensics. It's a bit like moving here gives an opportunity for a fresh start - something completely different.

As someone who has three cats (and on waiting list for a dog), I think what you are planning is fantastic. Vets and vet nurses make such a difference, what a marvelous career choice. Best of luck to you.