Life in the land of Oz!

BriD

It has been a while...this second month has been a crazy one with ups and downs.

So hubby redid his cv with a professional cv writer. It definitely made a difference with regards to the amount of interviews he has been invited to. So far in the last few weeks he has been to 9 different interviews. 3 have come back with a no, 1 has asked for a second interview and we are waiting to hear from the others. So we are still on the job hunt, hubby is keeping up the pace of applying. I truly hope that soon we shall have some good news to report.

This month was also an eye opener with regards to Australia's doctors. I had heard they are not as good as SA docs...and I can understand now why people have said that. Long story short...I fell ill with a horrible viral infection. Fevers, hot sweats, headaches, swollen glands, a rash, arthritic wrists and feet, neck stiffness...for 2 weeks I struggled. And I saw 2 different doctors during those 2 weeks...a total of 3 visits. Both doctors never figured out which virus it was. The first one, listened attentively...but offered almost nothing. The second time I saw her in tears because I was feeling so terrible, she asked if I was feeling stressed and gave me a tissue when I started crying harder. I left with just that tissue. I changed doctors, the next one was nicer...but a bit condescending. Sent me for blood tests. Nothing they tested me for came back as positive. Anyways...the mystery remains. Dan my son now has it too...but he seems to be coping better than I did. To top it off a few days after visiting the doc with Dan because of his fevers, he got an infected baby finger and I had to go back to the doctor AGAIN. This time a saw a 3rd doctor...and finally I found someone I like. What you need to know about Aussie doctors is that they do not prescribe symptomatic treatement...so unless you need antibiotics...you won't get anything medicinal from them. Not even advice. So find a good pharmacist to help with symptomatic stuff.

In the midst of all the sickness life went on. Kids settling nicely at school now, we are settled in our flat, I am managing the housework, we are starting to figure out which shops we like for what.

We are prepared to have to move for the job. And 90% of the interviews hubby has been to would require a move...so mentally preparing ourselves for that.

I have hit a couple of lows this month...I think especially when I was feeling weak and sick...when I am at my most vulnerable, then I feel the most emotional about everything. I have not felt regret at all...we made the right decision. But sometimes the enormity of everything just gets a bit much and I end up having a good cry...and then I am ok again for a while. Our Telstra plan that we have for international calls has made things infinitely better with regards to chatting to loved ones...I am so grateful for it.

The other thing I am trying to deal with is my MIL. I get messages from her almost daily saying how terribly she is missing the children with lots of crying faces etc. I just don't know what to say anymore. It is what it is....I know it must be hard for her...but geez...I would appreciate some understanding to how it must be for us alone out here trying to make a new life for our kids. My mom has not done that to me once though I know she misses us...and I appreciate her using our precious chat time to catch up properly and not lament about a situation that will not change. It sounds harsh I guess...but she makes me feel bad when she does that and it is wearing me down. It is making me feel like I am closing off from her...sigh...

Anyways...the ups and downs of such a major life change. Noone has ever said it would be easy...and it isn't. But it sure does have its great times too.

We try and use every weekend to explore somewhere new. We have found the most amazing places...the Geelong Waterfront, with it's sparkling blue kiddies pool that is free!! The Mornington Peninsula with it's gorgeous beaches of quiet rippling shallow waters. The Point Nepean National Park...beautiful peninsula with old forts that you can explore...also FREE...I cannot believe it. South Africa would have charged big bucks for something like that. We have spent some afternoons in the Dandenong mountains...feeding Cockatoos and walking in the forests. It is a beautiful area...I simply love it here. We are soaking it all in...absorbing the glorious freedom of Australia.

• Like 4

Just want to send a big HUG Bri!

I can't believe the doctors were so unhelpful :( I am glad that Dan isn't feeling as bad as you did, but still.. :(

You've got to love those mother in laws... my sister calls them outlaws lol. So my in-laws are my out-laws now when I'm unimpressed. You'll probably find she thinks she's doing the "right" thing in letting you know how much you are missed. If I were you I'd try and ignore it as far as possible and stop replying until it dies down a bit, OR I'd just be straight up and say you appreciate that you are missed, however you've established that fact, which isn't going to change, so perhaps she could cover other subjects going forward?

I used to bite my tongue a lot, but found it just caused me grief. Now I ignore a LOT (the stories I could tell!), and the rest of the time I'm just direct and honest. Anything else simply doesn't work. I sometimes think each family actually has their own version of whatever language they speak because nuances are lost on other families.

I don't mean be mean or naartjie (not that I think you would be, you're such a sweetie), but you can be straight and tell her the truth. How she deals with it is her problem. You would think she would avoid alienating you... but anyhoo.

Hang in there, ok? I'll keep my fingers crossed and C in my prayers, hope that job comes through soon!!!

• Like 1

This month was also an eye opener with regards to Australia's doctors. I had heard they are not as good as SA docs...and I can understand now why people have said that. Both doctors never figured out which virus it was.

Because doctors' visits are paid mostly by Medicare, the doctors have to justify via the system their reasons for ordering tests etc. So as far as viruses go they don't test them because there is no medication for viruses so there is no point in spending money on tests. They are also very reluctant to give antibiotics because of the increase in resistant bacteria and because they don't help for a virus.

In the RSA system, tests are funded by private medical aid or the individual so no hesitation in sending people for tests.

I have annual tests based on genetic conditions and last year the doctor's rooms rang to ask why I hadn't used the referral yet because it was showing as pending in their system. They have to justify everything on the Medicare system (being public/government money) and "unnecessary" testing is questioned.

Edited by Crisplet

Because doctors' visits are paid mostly by Medicare, the doctors have to justify via the system their reasons for ordering tests etc. So as far as viruses go they don't test them because there is no medication for viruses so there is no point in spending money on tests. They are also very reluctant to give antibiotics because of the increase in resistant bacteria and because they don't help for a virus.

In the RSA system, tests are funded by private medical aid or the individual so no hesitation in sending people for tests.

I have annual tests based on genetic conditions and last year the doctor's rooms rang to ask why I hadn't used the referral yet because it was showing as pending in their system. They have to justify everything on the Medicare system (being public/government money) and "unnecessary" testing is questioned.

Both the doctors expressed interest in finding out what the virus was...because high fevers in adults and the range of symptoms I was having was quite hectic. Second doctor sent me for bloods without hesitation...she suggested it.

I did not ask for antibiotics...but when you feel that rotten, you go to a doctor...virus or not. What I did not expect was the lack of advice for symptomatic treatment...very different to the South African way. Something I will need to get used to.

BriD, I wasn't suggesting that you asked for antibiotics - only that doctors here are much less willing to prescribe them unless they are sure it is a bacterial or secondary infection. Also I didn't explain properly: I didn't mean that doctors weren't interested in finding out which virus it was but only that they are limited by Medicare in being able to justify testing.

My son gets regular ear infections and I can't get antibiotics for him until he has green goo in his ears. "Just red and painful" doesn't get me anything. The doctor says he can't justify antibiotics until a secondary infection is present. You are right that the pharmacy can be helpful. And it takes a while to find a doctor you gel with.

I hope that you are starting to feel better now - beng sick is not easy when you are keeping things together for your family.

Take care

Leanne

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So it has been a while since I last posted an update....I just cannot believe how time passes so fast here...I have never felt that time is dragging...life is carrying on...very swiftly.

Having Hubby's CV redone professionally was the best decision really. Since then he has not gone one week without having at least 1 interview and sometimes as many as 3. Prospective employers and recruitment agents are noticing his cv...so we are so grateful for the improved interest. He has a very hopeful possibility at the moment. It is a manufacturing company in Sydney. He has had 1 interview with the recruitment agent over the phone, and 1 Skype interview with his bosses to be (hopefully) and then they flew him to Sydney for a face to face interview and tour of the factory last week Thursday. Today they contacted him to go to have a medical done and his references are being checked (And Hubbys reference's have been contacted by email with some questions to be answered about him). So it seems that this could possibly be THE ONE. We trying not to bank on it too much and hubby continues to apply for jobs...and in fact has another interview tomorrow for yet another company. We should know by the end of the week, beginning of next week. Hold thumbs peeps...it would be AMAZING to be able to settle.

Of course...if he gets this though...it means a major city move and breaking our 12 month lease...BUT...a job is a job...and this would be not only a job but a great opportunity with a lot of room for growth. And they themselves have acknowledged that though he is starting on a lower level than he was in RSA, they feel it is a huge advantage to have someone in the wings with the capability to take on more as they expand their business. So...it sounds positive...very positive.

So...we may very well become Sydney-siders if this all goes through. I will be terribly sad to leave ...we have already made friends in different areas of our life here in Melbourne and it will be a pity to leave those burgeoning friendships :( But...we have to go where the job is. Sydney has it's own pro's for us...we have family there, hubby's cousin, wife and 3 kiddies which are second cousins for our children....so would be nice to be able to give the kids some kind of extended family feel. We also have some friends there too, and my Godmother lives there....so our support network would be better...

Here I go on a tangent before anything is signed...so yes....it is looking more and more possible daily. The boss man told hubby that they would not be going to the trouble of medicals and references if they were not serious about him as a candidate for the job. So we hold thumbs...God's will...whatever that may be.

Otherwise...we have continued to have rough times with illnesses. After my whole illness at the beginning of April...my son then ended up getting an infected finger...who on earth knows how...but it looked horrendous...he needed Ab's...so yes, another trip to the doctor. Another one...and I quite liked her...so that is positive. Then over the Easter weekend my husband fell ill with a horrible virus, terribly sore throat, swollen glands, neck stiffness, numb tongue. And to make matters worse, we were away over that weekend and he spent our last day of holiday in bed while I toured Port Fairy with the kids. Then on Anzac day....I ended up back in bed with his exact symptoms...sigh...feeling better today...but seriously...can we just have a couple of weeks of health...that would be good. lol. I like to say that we just getting a headstart on building immunity to Aussie viral infections....seriously :blink:

Kids are loving school. Amy is blossoming in front of our eyes and it is a pleasure to see. We all had a wonderful time exploring rock pools and beaches on the Great Ocean Road. We found starfish we had never seen before, looked into rock pools filled with marine life...kids noticing all the little things....makes my heart glow to be able to explore so freely...I LOVE this about Australia. I have to say that neither Amy or Daniel ever ask about our life in South Africa. The only reference to it has been Amy missing the cats...otherwise, they don't seem to be pining. They enjoy skypeing with family...but more because of the novelty factor of seeing themselves in the bottom right corner...lol.

I have def had some ups and downs over the past month. Some very down downs...one day in particular...I suddenly felt completely homeless...like I had nowhere to call home. It was the worst feeling...so lonely! I realised though that when one is in limbo...you cannot settle anywhere...so once we know where the job is we can start to put those roots down properly and make our new area our home.

As far as my thoughts on Aus...in the first 3 months of life here...I have not regretted our decision once. We continue to enjoy the freedoms life here brings. We recognise some of the cons that come with life in Aus...there is no place perfect. But right now this is our place...near as perfect as we can hope to have it. It never ceases to amaze me how Australia...which I first thought was a giant desert with a rock in the middle and some civilisation around the edges... could be so lush, green and beautiful. Some of the most beautiful coastline I have ever seen in my life...stunning.

I must relate a sort of funny story...but in some ways not so funny...but to get through life's negatives you need to try and find a funny side.

I have a suspicion that we might have some shady people living next door to us on the top floor of this apartment block with live in. I had commented to hubby a couple of times over the last couple of weeks that Aussies don't seem as considerate with noise levels late at night. Not talking parties, but people coming and going, talking loudly, laughing raucously at 2 am right outside windows of people who are sleeping. Anyways...Saturday night....I had serious insomnia...I ended up still watching random tv at 3am....through the night our neighbours had a steady stream of people coming in and out. No music, no party...but he even propped the door open at the bottom, so no one had to buzz to be let in. At 3 am I noticed particularly the sound of young girls stomping up the pathway, clattering up the 2 flights of stairs, swearing at each other and finally literally banging open the door....silence ensued. Followed by the girls leaving one by one a few minutes later...much more quietly. Soooo....Detective Bri, heart pounding with her ear pressed to her door...lights off...hardly breathing trying to imagine what is happening next door. I decided to peep over my balcony railing to see the people coming and going...the sound of the door opening sounded like the earth's crust had just cracked...it was so loud, almost as loud as the pounding of my heart. As I slowly leaned out to look over the balcony...I caught sight of a man in the neighbours apartment on their balcony...I leapt back SO fast I nearly smashed my head into our door...I did not try to look again. I slunk off to bed and continued to hear comings and going for the rest of the morning until about 5am. So...my theory is...a drug dealer....I don't at all like this option...not one bit. We are not considered to be in a bad area...in fact, it is seen as quite larny....but...even larny neighbourhoods...can be hoodish....hmmmm :wacko:. Obviously I have nothing to go on besides his late night visitors coming and going...he and his wife/partner look in their 40's or so...we hardly see them...but they are not very chatty at all. I also don't want to "dob on a dealer" (if he is one) if I have to live next door to him....hmmm. So the inner rebel in me made a point and I got rid of the piece of wood that he and some of the other people living here use as a prop to keep our "security" door not so secure....pathetic maybe...and I may yet decide to do something more significant...but for now I will just keep my ears open and see what happens. I could be so off with this....but as my mama likes to say...there is no smoke without fire.

Drugs is a problem here...no doubt about it. I cannot say I have been exposed to high people running all over the streets or anything...I am usually home in bed when everyone is out partying and doing drugs...so I don't see that side. However, they exist and I have already started making plans on parenting my kids through a drug filled world...and this I would have done if we had been in RSA too....think drugs are a much bigger problem there than anyone really believes. Confront it head on...before it comes to you.....yeah...

We had registered to vote in Canberra tomorrow...we did all the forms etc...but hubby has an interview, I been sick...and to be completely honest, an 8 hour trip there to vote and then back...with at least 1 night of accommodation....it is just too much of an ask for us at this stage. I really wanted to try, but it has not worked out for us this time.

On the whole I am feeling quite positive...and so we move on into our 4th Month of life in the land of Oz. Bring it on May!

Anyways...just another post of rambling thoughts and moments in my life :oops: . TFR if you got this far lol :blush-anim-cl:

• Like 4

Holding all my thumbs and crossing fingers and toes that the job comes through for hubby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

That all sounds really, really positive BriD, good luck! I think it's a normal response to get ill after a stressful time. It's like your body finally relaxes and you pick up strange bugs. I read about it once...here you go, I found a relevant link :)

http://survivelaw.com/index.php/blogs/well-being/769-why-you-get-sick-after-exams

BriD I know where you live and have friends who live in the area. My advice dob them in. You have children and not to get the crime drama going on this thread but a fair amount of crime seems to be drug related. Last thing you want is someone waiving a gun around on a drug deal gone wrong. You can phone crimestoppers and just report your suspicion. Tell them you have young kids and are concerned for their safety. The cops won't reveal that you dobbed them in.

BriD I know where you live and have friends who live in the area. My advice dob them in. You have children and not to get the crime drama going on this thread but a fair amount of crime seems to be drug related. Last thing you want is someone waiving a gun around on a drug deal gone wrong. You can phone crimestoppers and just report your suspicion. Tell them you have young kids and are concerned for their safety. The cops won't reveal that you dobbed them in.

Sunnyskies...I really want to...but I am quite frankly scared out of my mind that I could somehow end up with a target on my back...maybe I sound ridiculous...but what if the guy on the balcony saw me peeping...and if they get busted or visited that they suspect me??? Then what if they are visited and cops find nothing...but they are dodge and they suspect me...and we live next door and I have kids...do you know what I mean? I am quite honestly freaking out quite crazily about this...ever since Sat night. It has been quiet since then...what if I am thinking up ridiculous ideas cos of sleep deprivation.

I agree completely with you on why any suspicion should be reported...considering the impact drugs has on violent crime...and this is why I am torn now. My husband could get this job and have to go ahead of me and I would be left alone with my kids...I am feeling nervous...I don't know how to explain it. I am a goody too shoes...but I don't know how things work here enough to trust that it would not come back to me.... :(

I thought maybe that I would allow a week or so to pass...just so it is not so fresh...and keep ears out to see if this is a regular thing with them on the weekend. As I said weeknights are pretty quiet...nothing like that.

Do you guys think the goings on of Sat night sound off?? Or could I be misreading it??

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So...wow....life has just cranked up a notch to a new version of crazy busy.

Hubby was offered the job in Sydney on Monday. We were so relieved and I was so extremely proud of my man. Putting in all that hard work and effort consistently over the 3 months since we arrived...and it paid off. Of course he took the job, and the great part is that it is a great job. We feel really blessed.

On Wednesday hubby left at 3am to drive his car and a carload full of stuff to Sydney in time for an inspection of a rental house at 1h30. He made it with 10 minutes to spare! And then followed what sounds like an exhausting 2 days trawling through areas, looking at rentals. We called each other countless times, it was truly a team effort. I would look on the net, phone agents and arrange inspections and he would go to them. Then would call me while he looked at it and described what he was seeing. It is really important to look at the properties before hand...photos on the internet can be so misleading. There was one house that we were sure would be perfect...but on seeing it hubby said he would have felt truly cheated paying what they were asking for what we would get. We had some requirements that were non negotiable...air con and dishwasher. Also discovered another non negotiable while looking...houses on a busy road...no go. So it made it a little bit harder I think.

Finally it was down to 2 places...one in Caringbah South for $700 per week and one in Oyster Bay for $595 per week. Both nice areas, good schools, both places had a lot going for them. In the end we made the decision based on finances. Taking the one in Oyster Bay would give us an extra $450 per month...that is a huge saving...so we applied and were accepted for the Oyster Bay house :) The thing I am most excited about it the garden for the kids...I have missed that so much in the last couple of months...will make a huge difference for the kids. Also an extra bedroom and a lot more space....think we will be happy there :)

Then...after nearly falling over backwards at the cost of movers...we found one that was much more reasonable...and had postponed their Friday departure to Monday. They had also had a cancellation...so had perfect space for our things. It seems like it was just all orchestrated by God...really feel like this is where we are meant to go. So...this weekend is gonna be a crazy weekend of packing. By Wednesday we will be living in Sydney! What a whirlwind!

I have been so touched by the reactions of the people we have started to get to know. 3 months is not really that long, and yet we still have encountered genuine disappointment over our departure and it is just really special. We really started to settle in Melbourne, we found a wonderful church, I made an amazing friend...the kids were so happy at their kinders....but life changes. We will hold dear the memories of the amazing support and welcome we got from absolute strangers who have started to become friends. Heart warming stuff I tell ya.

I ordered boxes online late on Wednesday afternoon. Thursday morning they arrived...was so impressed by the service!

Of course...all this is not without it's stress...as any move would be. I am sick AGAIN with a bad head cold....I think I should really start using immune boosters regularly...clearly my body is struggling with all the changes and craziness.

Kids are excited about the move. I have shown them pics of the house we will be living in...and told them about their new area. So we trying to keep everything positive and upbeat despite the upheaval.

Thanks to everyone on the forum for the wonderful support...I don't know when I will be back online to give an update...but will get back asap :)

• Like 4

Oh Bri... I am so happy for you and C and just SO thrilled he got the job. I think you are right and once you are in your new place with the security of a good job, you will feel much more settled and be able to send all those roots shooting off!

I am sorry you have all been battling with all the viruses :( Maybe a course of probiotics and B vitamins? My hubby and I always go through a patch when we start a new job with the "new" aircon circulating all the new office germs... You are probably going to have an amazing immune system after this though!

Thinking of you guys lots! Well done! :)

• Like 1

Congrats Bri. Sydney is amazing, I cannot wait to be at tye stage you and your hubby are at. Happy moving

• Like 1

And so after a whirlwind 10 days we are safely installed in our new house in Oyster Bay, Sydney.

I have hardly registered the different days lately as we rushed to pack up, pack stuff into the truck, drive to Sydney and then the whole unpacking process etc. But here we are living in Sydney and hubby will start his new job on Monday morning.

The house hubby chose is really great. On a quiet street, a lovely garden out back, view over the valley. It is an old house, the wooden walls type one. A few weird quirks...but that is what gives it charm. It was AWESOME to have so much more space!!! And I keep saying that I cannot believe we ever fitted in everything in the 2 bedroomed flat we were living in, because we have so quickly filled up a 3 bedroom house with miles more space. I guess now I realise how squashed in we must have been....however...we still lived in that apartment happily for 3 months. So I guess it is all in your attitude and perspective.

The area of Oyster Bay is really lovely. Quieter, but still close to everything you need. Found a MASSIVE mall 10 minutes from us yesterday. Also found our local coles, bakery and butcher close by...3 mins drive. It is a really hilly leafy area. Every morning a flock of cockatoos fly up the valleys, and I saw a Kookaburra yesterday sitting in the tree...I never saw any in Glen Iris, Melbourne....so I love that. We are going to do a bit more exploring this weekend. Take a drive to Cronulla Beach and see what it's like.

I also found a pre-school for the kids (yeah I know...how fast are we moving now! Job, move states, unpack, new school in less than 2 weeks).

It is really great...5 mins walk from our house. Lovely play based pre-school with 20 kids max. I really like their learning program etc...it is just a perfect fit for us. They had 2 spaces available on Wed, Thurs and Fri. Times from 9 - 2h45pm...so I will have some time to focus on starting my baking business!! YAY!

Our house is a 3 bedroomed place...we have chosen to let the kids continue to share since they are still little. And the third bedroom has become their playroom. They ADORE it!! Dad also built a box palace with some of our empty boxes and they are loving that so much. Great to have a playroom for them to mess up with toys and what not...and it leaves the lounge more easy to walk in and less opportunity to step on a stray lego block etc. :ilikeit: In the event of visitors. Kids bedroom will be used for visitors and they can sleep in their playroom on inflatable mattresses...how fun would that be :)

And so...everything continues to fall into place...thank you Lord for guiding us and truly opening doors. It is awesome :)

Anyhoo...I had better get back to unpacking so we can get finished.

Hugs to all

xx

• Like 10

Man, you move fast!! It sounds so nice there. Enjoy every second & good luck to your husband for his new job :)

• Like 1

YAY!!!!! So awesome to come and read and "hear" how happy you all are! I think having the kids in together is also kind of giving them that extra reassurance for a while - all the changes, but they've been able to look over at each other and know the other is just there, and if the other is ok, then they're ok, you know? Just my 2c but I think def the right thing :D

I think you guys were doing great in the flat, but am glad you have more space! Never a bad thing ;)

(Have to confess I always wondered what you ended up doing with all your kitchen stuff - did you get something from IKEA? ;)

Big hugs - God bless you all :)

• Like 1

You guys seem to be pro's now at setting up in a new location :) Think you've done everything in record time.

Congrats and so happy that you sound happy :) :)

Enjoy Sydney

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We just passed our 4 month "anniversary" of landing in Oz. I love this country more and more each day!!

So we are pretty much happily installed in our new place. Have bought a few things from IKEA (I LOVE IKEA) to add to what we brought. We are so enjoying having a garden...especially for the beautiful birds! Have started putting out wild bird seed and sunflower seeds. As a result we have Cockatoos in our garden and on our patio every day. And Rainbow Lorikeets as well! I love watching them. The Cockatoos have such attitude, they are like the hoons of the bird world...love them! We also have regular visits from Kookaburra's.

We have started to look at the property market in the area with a view to buy within the next year. We have sold one of our properties in SA, so that money will be sent over to Aus soon and will help with a deposit. But the prices of places are so expensive here...quite a change to look at an average 3 bedroom property that needs work that equates to 7,5 million Rand!!!! Shew whee!! But we keeping our eyes open. We know we want to stay in The Shire...I absolutely adore this area.

Yesterday the kids and I watched the sunset from Kurnell Beach. And took a walk near where Captain Cook landed in 1770 :) Was a beautiful area...loved experiencing the beach at sunset with the kids without freaking out. Though I am still very aware...I still would not take risks that I felt were not sitting well with me. As the sun set we decided to turn back while there was still light and go home. No need to push ourselves if we not feeling 100% ok, it is a learning curve for us. You cannot just drop your South African nerves as you get off the plane...it is ingrained into your being. Even the kids pointed out the trees saying it looked like the deep dark wood from the Gruffalo! Lol!

Kids have settled well at school. I am set to have a holiday play date with one of the moms and a possible coffee date before holidays start. I am still playing Tennis on Thursdays and we are going to try a church on Sunday.

Hubby is happy at work, the shifts are suiting us well. On Friday he was off, kids were at school...so he and I had some time together. We went to IKEA, did some shopping. Had lunch there (They have super yum Swedish Meatballs there...very reasonable prices too). This week he is off tomorrow, so we doing a Beach visit while kids at school.

Hubby's parents are planning a trip to visit us, probably end July / beg August. It will be great to show them the life we have made for ourselves here, and hope they can see how happy we are. I think you cannot expect family to understand what you have gained from this move if they cannot visualise where you live and what you do.

I can honestly say that if I had to go back to South Africa I would really struggle, having known such liberation, freedom etc...it would be difficult to go back.

I feel blessed to have a visa and a chance to make a life in this beautiful country. I feel for everyone trying to get here and still in the process with a lot of uncertainty, sending hugs and strength to all of you!

xxx

• Like 6

So happy to hear that you have settled in nicely and enjoying your new surroundings. Just food for thought - be aware that the White Cockatoos can get quite destructive (especially if they get used to you feeding them). If by chance you don't put food out for them they can get destructive - I've heard people saying that they ripped out the flyscreens on their windows. Just last week they chew through a wire of a solar charged outdoor light at our house. But I do love them still and keep throwing out any old bread I have on my front lawn for the neighbourhood cockatoos and lorikeets to enjoy. I call them "my vet hoenders". :blush: In the mornings, they would sometimes gather in their large numbers and walk on the roof right above our bedroom. It get so noisy that hubby has to go outside and try and chase them away - not much luck in getting some sleep then afterwards.. :sleep1:

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up Heymanse! I was actually wondering this morning if I should just look into the cons of cockatoos followers...I appreciate the warning!

You're more than welcome. You should be safe if you only feed them once or twice a week. That way they don't become spoilt too much :ilikeit:

• Like 2

Haha those things have eaten our pool heating panels to shreds three times. It sounds like they are taking the roof off above our heads. But now we just have a cold pool. They have won ;)

Oooh, I remember in one of the rentals we stayed, we also had those solar heating hoses on the roof and they use to come and pick holes in them - you'd turn the pump on and it literally rained on our roof with all the holes in the hoses. Hubby spent numerous days on the roof fixing them. I remember our neighbour used to feed them every day and there was this passion fruit tree in front of our yard - the passion fruit never made it to ripeness before being hacked off the stems and demolished by the cockatoos. But even through all this damage, I'm still one of their biggest fans.

Edited by Heymanse
  • Like 2

After seeing your first post I did some googling aswell...as a result I have decided sadly not to feed them gorgeous birds anymore. I had already had them screeching for food when they spotted me through the window in the morning....so I went and swept up all the seeds on the patio (with 5 Cockatoo's sitting half a metre from me on the balcony railing watching me). And then removed and swept up as much of the seed from the back garden too...also in view of some feathered onlookers. The whole afternoon they have been popping by to see what is on offer and after staring into the windows fly off. Amazing how quickly my followers grew...from 7 last week Friday to 20 on Monday at one time. Will be sorry not to encourage them anymore...but it is probably best. Last thing I need is damage to a rental property...and angry neighbours...

I will also be their fan though....love the attitude :)

• Like 1