I want to apply as Accountant (General) or Management Accountant and are unsure to rather go independent (subclass 189) or state sponsored (subclass 190).

Does anyone now which has the shorter processing time?

Secondly what the benefits are of going the state sponsorhip route?

If anyone can assist please.

Thank you.

Hi SmileyLisie

I can give you some general info

The documentation you have to get together and assessed is the same for both visas

- IELTS

- Qualification verified

- Skills Assesment

- Unabridged marriage and birth certificates

A 189 is an independent visa, which allows you to go anywhere in Australia

A 190 application gives you an additional 5 points should that state sponsor your application. This visa grants you entry to that State only for a minimum of 2 years before you can relocate to another state (if I am correct)

With State Sponsorship, you will get an invite from an EOI probably a bit quicker if occupation is still open and you meet all the criteria. The processing time for the visa seems to be the same time for both.

Please correct me if I'm wrong

Hi

you can apply for both and see which one you get a response for. When you get to the point of submitting the EOI, you can tick all the visas you are eligible for. SO you do have more time to make up your mind and do your research

189 obviously is more secure in that it does not depend on a job, and you have the benefits of having residency

190 gets you closer to a job, but you have to stay in a place that may not necessarily be your preference. That said, there are many positives about both.

Hey there SmileyLisie

Welcome tot eh forum and family.

The only real benefit to going 190 state sponsored is the fact that if you can land the sponsorship you will get an invitation immediately without having to wait and see if you get one in the automated invitation rounds. State sponsorship does not guarantee you a job it merely guarantees that you will get an invitation to live and work in the sponsoring state. I read this article today (sorry to be the bearer of gloomy news). Given the above article I would think that the states are not going to be too willing to sponsor someone in this profession.

If you have 70+ points then you may as well just go for the 189 (Willy Wonka's Golden Ticket in my books) because you may find that you get an invitation in the next automated round after submitting your EOI.

Time difference between the 189 and 190 only differs in the speed at which you get the invitation. If you have SS then you don't wait for the invitation but the actual visa processing time (judging from other forumites time lines) is about the same which can be anything between 4 and 8 weeks, all depending on how fast you get your PCC's and medicals done and the rest of your documentation submitted to the CO once they have been appointed.

Good luck with the rest of the process and gathering all the required paperwork.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for everyone's responses. It helped me make my decision to apply for the state sponsored visa.

Hi smiley. Have you checked which states will sponsor your occ? Trev

Hi Trev

The current situation for state sponsorship looks this:

State Capital Visa subclass 190 Visa subclass 489 ACT Australian Capital Territory Canberra yes16.pngno16.png NSW New South Wales Sydney no16.pngno16.png NT Northern Territory Darwin yes16.pngyes16.png QLD Queensland Brisbane yes16.pngyes16.png SA South Australia Adelaide yes16.pngno16.png TAS Tasmania Hobart yes16.pngyes16.png VIC Victoria Melbourne no16.pngno16.png WA Western Australia Perth no16.pngno16.png