Setting up a new Aussie website

Renny

Can anybody suggest a good service provider in Australia for web hosting? I would like to start with my Aussie website so long, register a new domain etc. I am specifically looking for a hosting company that provides a service for me to build my own site. I do not want to make use of someone else to design it....I did it here in RSA but I have so many updates and changes a month, that it is actually better if I just do the updates myself. I know Hetzner (in RSA) has a nice package where you can build your own site and they supply all the templates and you do the writing, layout and add all your own logo's and pictures.

I have searched for hosting companies in Aus, but there are so many and I don't know if they offer this service of building your own site.

Any advice or help?

iinet/internode are a a good solution provider and their prices are cheaper than most from what I have heard.

Brad is right one of our clients coukd not register their com.au domain until they got their ABN number.

most hosts will install joomla or wordpress and if you can use Word and write an email, you'll be able to use those. :) There are some awesome templates available that are free, and it's very easy to use.

You could always get a designer/dev to set it up for you and install the template of your choice, create the pages etc, then go in and add/edit content and images as you like. Could be faster to have someone set up the skeleton for you to fill in. But honestly, the wysiwyg systems are very easy to use :)

Good luck! :)

Edited by McCabes

Thanx for all the info. I will google those mentioned and see if they perhaps have a free trial for me to play around and see if it's easy to use. As soon as we have a date that we are going, I will register for a business nr and start with my site! Just don't want to get to that point and then I have to do the research on the different web hosting companies.

Ultimately I would prefer to have a .com.au....could one register for an ABN before we land in Aus?

Personally I trust websites with a .com.au over those without it because it means they are an officially registered business. Any scam artist can get .com but .com.au carry a legitimacy.

If you gets ABN you will also have to do tax returns I would guess which may not be easy if you haven't even landed.

thanx for all the info..... I have looked into the above mentioned providers and read loads of reviews on them all. So far Hostagtor looks like it will work for me.

Will some of the "know How" people and IT dudes please correct me if I am wrong here....?

I had a long session with my friend Google and this is what I have learned.

1. I can use a service provider like Hostgator to host my website...here I have to get a .com site to start out with.

2. Wordpress is something than can be uploaded for free and used to build your website (Hostagtor states that they support wordpress) ???

3. I would be able to get a .com.au domain only once I have an ABN

4. I can only get an ABN once I have an Aus bank account

5. I can only get an Aus bank account, once I actually live in Aus

6. Once I am in Aus, have the bank account and the ABN, I will be able to register a .com.au from a list of authorised providers in Australia (found a nice website with them all)

7. I can in the mean time start building my website with wordpress and host it as a .com on Hostgator

8. Can I then transfer my .com.au domain over and replace the .com or do they get linked? Not so sure about this process....will someone that searches for my .com site automatically be redirected to the new .com.au website?

I see there are a few very clued up computer wizzards on this forum...so hoping someone can direct me in the right direction

Hi

You can have multiple domains all point to the same web site, so you can have a .com.au, .net, .com etc.... all point to the singe site

Short answer, yes that will work, create the .com now and then the .au later and point it to the site

next bit,

If you plan to create your own site using a template driven environment look at the "build your own sites" type providers and you can get some really good deals and templates,

www.squarespace.com is my fave, and you get 14 days trial for free (without specifying a credit card number) to play and try it out, they can also arrange the domain and link it for you, if you sign up for a full account it is $16 a month for an unlimited traffic site, $24 a month (Instead of not in addition to the 16) gets you eCommerce as well These guys have a really good name in the business, and you can take the month to month and cancel any time if you don't like it.

Hope this helps

1. I can use a service provider like Hostgator to host my website...here I have to get a .com site to start out with.

2. Wordpress is something than can be uploaded for free and used to build your website (Hostagtor states that they support wordpress) ???

3. I would be able to get a .com.au domain only once I have an ABN

4. I can only get an ABN once I have an Aus bank account

5. I can only get an Aus bank account, once I actually live in Aus

6. Once I am in Aus, have the bank account and the ABN, I will be able to register a .com.au from a list of authorised providers in Australia (found a nice website with them all)

7. I can in the mean time start building my website with wordpress and host it as a .com on Hostgator

8. Can I then transfer my .com.au domain over and replace the .com or do they get linked? Not so sure about this process....will someone that searches for my .com site automatically be redirected to the new .com.au website?

You dont need to be in Aus to open a bank account. Therefore you can get a ABN and .com.au address before leaving and skip the .com altogether.

@ Nev....thanx for the feedback, I have actually played around with squarespace templates, but found they are very slow to load.....even when I looked at the sample websites they provided it took so long to open. Our internet is usually fast, but don't know if we just had a slow day or if we are slowing down for the month as hubby has been downloading loads of "So you think you can dance" series for me :ilikeit:

My 14 days has not expired yet, so I will give it a try again

What about something like http://au.godaddy.com/ecommerce/shopping-cart-new1.aspx?ci=72972

I can also register a .com.au with them, and let them do the hosting and also use the website builder...they claim it is good for online shopping sites!

You dont need to be in Aus to open a bank account. Therefore you can get a ABN and .com.au address before leaving and skip the .com altogether.

I have read some mixed reviews on this somewhere on the forum.....

I think I might just wait with the bank account until we are there. There is no harm in getting a .com for now and doing all the other stuff when we get there!

Yep, i have had a godaddy account and domain in the past, they have had some bad publicity though through selling on domain names as soon as they expire which put me off them, you slip on your domain reg fee and some Asian company has the domain the next day and is willing to sell it back to you for a "fee" really unethical kind of stuff.

When Forbes puts this kind of article out then you know....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyclay/2012/09/10/5-reasons-you-should-leave-godaddy-and-how/

Take the speeds with a pinch of salt from south africa though, RSA goes through Europe for their web, AU goes through the US and Asia, so your speeds here will be very different to there (If you go with a EU server it will be slower than a USA server to people in Auz)

• 2 months later...