So torn between our beautiful SA and a safer future

Crossedover

I am sure many of you have felt what I am feeling now, but despite moving being one of the hardest things we will ever do, I feel torn by where God wants us to be....

SA is in such need of us all to step up and take care of " the widow, the orphan and the foreigner" as God asks... BUT He has also gaven me 3 beautiful children to take care of ... I can't help but feel if I move I am moving to a smaller picture Vs missing the bigger picture to do Gods work here in SA. I feel I am messing with Gods plan by moving BUT my key reason for moving it to provide my children with a safer better future....

But ultimately giving them a relationship with God is the most important thing a parent can do...

My brother says, they are Gods children to keep safe from harm....

Oh my..... Hope you are able to follow my babble...my thoughts on this just keep running wild....

Any words of Gods wisdom?

Hi there

I can't tell you what to do, but this is what we did in making our decision.

The bible tells us a few things about God's will for our lives:

1. God's will is for us to be saved (1 Tim 2:3-4)

2. God's will is that you are controlled by his Spirit (Ephesians 5:17-18)

3. Gods will is that you be sanctified ( 2 Thess 3:4)

4. It is God's will that you submit to authorities (1Peter 2:13)

5. It is Gods will that you suffer for doing good (1Peter 3:17)

5. It is Gods will that you be prayerful, joyful and thankful (1thes 5:18)

If all this is true of the pattern of your life, then do what you WANT to do because the desires of your heart will be those that God by his Spirit has placed in your heart.

In Australia there are less materially needy people, but many, many spiritual orphans.

Pray much and ask God to help you discern what he wants from you.

• Like 5

When you had your children, they were probably either baptised or dedicated. During that ceremony you probably promised to look after them, to put their needs first, to keep them safe and healthy and to try to teach them by example.

So.... what is the probability of keeping them safe and healthy in RSA? What are the chances of offering them a future, to study, if they wish to, to make a living, if they have a problem finding work?

That is why we put our children first, our duty was to them FIRST, thereafter we can do what we can to help others!

Sorry if this sounds harsh, it is not my intention. I put my trust in the Lord for everything I do, but I also believe that he will understand why I had to leave, in order to put my children first!

• Like 3

Your children are the most defenseless responsibility of your life right now. Many, many people have lived in adverse situations WITH their families because they knew that God called them to work where they were. But, if your feelings of doubt has a restless 'feel' about it, think again. God convinces, satan accuses and cast guilt upon your soul. If you feel haunted by guilt for South Africa, don't stay. If you have a real peace and positive conviction that you should stay 'to make a difference', you will be in OZ just as, or even more in danger as in RSA, for then you are outside God's will for your life. There is no place as safe as inside the will of God, there is no place as unsafe as outside the will of God - Corrie Ten Boom.

For us, our children, for now, has absolute priority because God entrusted us with them and it is for them that we go. We have peace that they are our first and foremost responsibility for this phase of our family's life. God exists and operates outside of time. He is not dependent on me or you for His work to be done. If we are in a phase of our lives that requires of us to search safer ground for the sake of the little lambs, He is quite capable to use someone else to provide help in the front lines of conflict. We are not the only ones He can use to get someone else saved or helped. IF, if He wants us to stay, it WILL also be to the physical and educational benefit of our little children.

That said, I will never look down on people who decides to stay. Who am I to say that God wants them to stay because He wants them to do something, learn something, grow in some area emotionally / spiritually ? We leave in peace because we know we've asked the LORD for guidance and got it. We leave our friends and family behind in peace, because obviously they either have not asked God yet for guidance, or they are convinced of staying for a while, or till whenever. Follow the road of spiritual peace and clarity and you are very much assured that you're on the right track, for you. Do NOT let emotions rule your decisions, it's a dangerous thing, for emotions WILL vary every few days. Conviction listens to emotions, but it subjects emotions to rational and Spiritual guidance.

Edited by Alida
  • Like 2

To followmylead, Mara and Alida... Thank you...

Being a teacher and running my own school I am unable to talk to many people about my decision to leave, also those who are not contimplating leaving are not easy to talk to objectively ... I often say, "if it's meant to be God bless it and if it is not, God stand in the way of it" ...

I do believe so far things are progressing favorably .... I know the move will be super hard but I am prepared to make the sacrifice for my beautiful girls....

Thank you for being there...

• Like 1

I just want to reiterate what the others have said. If God has shown you to stay and do something in SA, then you should stay, but otherwise, since you have been led to move to Oz go with that and ask God to provide leading.

I would just like to add that if anyone comes with things like: You should stay here. God will protect you.

Well, tell them that that is not biblical. If God has told you to stay and has work for you there then he will protect you. Not necessarily otherwise. How do you explain the countless Christians that have been killed and raped in SA. God even had his own Son moved away from a dangerous area after his birth to protect Him. If even God does that then I think we should use our brains and do the same if so led.

• Like 2

I too often these days feel SO torn on whether we should stay and go. Thanks for putting everything into perspective. Alida - I will carry your words with me and remind myself of it everythime I start to doubt my decisions: "God convinces, satan accuses and cast guilt upon your soul."

• Like 1

Okay, here is my 2c...

We also started this journey feeling thorn between staying and working here and moving to Oz for our daughter. Every step of the way has been in His hands, before I submit a form or forward an email, I would pray "Father your will and not mine."

I was so convicted of Oz being where God wants us that we sold our house shortly after submitting the skills assessment documents. If God wants you there He will lead you there.

To this date everything has been VERY smooth with God opening doors and closing others. For example we had to decide between Sydney and Melbourne. Having never been to Oz, it was a hard decision for us, BUT in the end God opened the Melbourne door and closed the Sydney one.

We are in our final stages awaiting a CO and the grant letter, but I know it will come in His perfect timing.

I am not saying that everyday is sunshine and roses, yes we also doubt, yes we also worry, yes we also stress, but then I remember His words to me: "For I know the plans I have for you Bams, plans to prosper you and not to harm you..." (I even went so far to tattoo this onto my arm over the weekend that I may never forget His words.)

All I can say is ask Him for guidance, but then also keep quiet and listen...

Good luck on the journey.

• Like 5

I wasn't too keen to move, my whole family is there, and my wife and kids were all really eager. Then I heard our pastor preaching, and he said your biggest responsibility as a father, is to protect the inheritance of your children................see you in Aus

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Dear Crossingover,

Not sure if this rings true for you, but here goes:

Don't be made to feel you are a coward for leaving (satan's guilt). It takes a lot of courage to leave everything you know behind in search of a better life for you and your loved ones. There will always be more work to be done for the Lord, wherever you go. You just need to change the way you're thinking, looking at the world.

So here is a question. If you leave and it does not work out, what have you lost? Would losing what you have now out way the unknown of what you may find in Oz or not?

I've learnt that their are wise and unwise decisions along with Godly and ungodly decisions. My husband and I have prayed about this immigration and continue to ask the Lord to use us for His good. I don't see immigrating to be an ungodly decision at all, but rather a wise one (for us). My stepdad said something the other day which got me thinking "The Lord may be using you to proclaim his gospel in Aus". God has a plan for all - although there may be various 'Godly' routes to get there. As long as we keep Him at the centre and proclaim his word.

Hope you all have a lovely week!

If God is with you, no man can stand against you. In our case, one obstacle after another just fell down.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just love knowing we will be there with all you God loving people.... God is our ultimate purpose and I hope my children will grow up to love God with all their hearts . I love the fact I can choose an openly Christian school too.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Dear Crossingover you are not alone being 4months in Australia I very often feel the same.Did we do the right thing by abandoning out birth land should we not stayed back and fought for righteousness but how long would that have taken. I had to protect 2 kids maybe I would have stayed if they were both boys but at the birth of my daughter God has guided me. Every step of my way was easy and now I am here confirms the intention. I left behind a job a nice house 2 vehicles, 9 burglaries , 1 attempted car theft this is worth it. My only sigh is I left aged parents who has has 3 major breakins in the last 3 years but we had to do it.

We also found great spirituality in Australia within our faith.

Hope this eases your thoughts.

• Like 1