Suburbs in Sydney

LindaandPaul

Hi all

So now we have secured the visa (yippee) and decided on Sydney... I won't lie I am a little terrified. I like to be in "control" and I feel like from here on I won't really be for a while...

We plan to come over in early April next year (were originally hoping for January 2014 but our house hasn't sold yet).

I know it is difficult to advise, because it is dependent on work and such but which suburbs of Sydney are worth looking at? We would like to live near the sea preferably and out of the city is definitely better... Hopefully neither of us will need to go into the city for work.

Can anyone help make a few suggestions so that we can start researching areas. Thanks!

• Like 1

Hey LindaandPaul, congratulations on the visa grant and good luck with the planning and move. Can't help much with Sydney but I am sure someone will jump in and help.

• Like 1

Yes... CONGRATS FRIENDY :ilikeit: :ilikeit: :ilikeit: :ilikeit:

Sure someone will help with advice, I just needed to share my joy for you guys:) See you there :hug:

• Like 1

Hi there

A big :congratulations:

We also hoping to be out of here by April, well I am at least.

I cant give much input on Sydney, but do wish you all the best in finding the perfect place.

• Like 1

Look at this, the data is a bit old but the map is quite useful as it gives an indication of the more expensive to less expensive suburbs to buy in. Although you may not be buying, you could expect the information to give you an indication of the type of wealth of different areas.

http://all-things-spatial.blogspot.com/2011/11/sydney-house-prices.html

• Like 1

Hi - we live in Lane Cove - about 10 min's drive (non-peak hour) from the CBD with good bus services, and our closest beach is Balmoral Beach (15 min's drive) - lovely and family friendly. Same with Lane Cove - family friendly with a primary (public) school - don't know the closest high school.

All depend on where you find a job however - I'm lucky - 3.5km from work and my husband about 20 min's drive (Concord)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi all

So now we have secured the visa (yippee) and decided on Sydney... I won't lie I am a little terrified. I like to be in "control" and I feel like from here on I won't really be for a while...

We plan to come over in early April next year (were originally hoping for January 2014 but our house hasn't sold yet).

I know it is difficult to advise, because it is dependent on work and such but which suburbs of Sydney are worth looking at? We would like to live near the sea preferably and out of the city is definitely better... Hopefully neither of us will need to go into the city for work.

Can anyone help make a few suggestions so that we can start researching areas. Thanks!

Hi there,

congratulations on your visa grant. My hubby and I also plan on arriving in Sydney in April and was wondering if you would like to keep in contact with regards to the the entire process? I think it would be nice having someone in the same boat that I could communicate and bounce ideas off of.

Shannon

Hello, most of the South African expats are in St Ives, the Northern Beaches areas or the Hills District. We are in St Ives which is about half an hour out of the city and 20 minutes from the beaches. The Hills area is approx 45 minutes from the city and the beaches. It could depend what you type of schools you would consider, work as you say, and your budget.

You budget and choice of accommodation (house v unit) definitely plays a HUGE role in where you decide to live in Sydney.

For example.. you could rent a 1 bedroom unit in Manly (walking distance to beach and 15mins ferry to the city) for $600 per week, or rent a house in the hills which is modern 4 bedroom, big garden and entertaining area (atleast 1 hour from the city and beaches) for about $600 per week too.

Perhaps if you provide us with a rough budget (max per week?) and what sort of accommodation you looking for (i.e number of rooms? house or unit?) we could provide better suburb suggestions?

Lindaandpaul congrats on the visa grant!! My hubby and I am also planning to move to Sydney around that time next year (timing of visa granted relevant of course, but hopefully hearing soon now). I am so glad you posted this thread because it's definitely something we are wondering about too. Good luck with all the logistics and planning and hope your house sells soon. @Shannon let's also keep in touch and help each other out?

Lindaandpaul congrats on the visa grant!! My hubby and I am also planning to move to Sydney around that time next year (timing of visa granted relevant of course, but hopefully hearing soon now). I am so glad you posted this thread because it's definitely something we are wondering about too. Good luck with all the logistics and planning and hope your house sells soon. @Shannon let's also keep in touch and help each other out?

Daffy I would love to stay in touch, especially in we are going over at similar times. PM me and we can swop info :D

• 1 month later...

Hi LindaandPaul,

How are your plans for leaving in April?

Seems like we might also be heading in that direction soon.

Hi LindaandPaul

We live in Baulkham hills. The Hills area is great.

It is a bit far from the beach but then it is a bit cheaper than every suburb to the east. Easy access to public transport. There are a lot of family activities in the area.

If you have any more questions you are welcome to ask.

Enjoy the journey.

Hi everyone.

Yip still planning for April although our house sale hasn't gone through yet! I am just willing it all to happen now.

Thanks Dieter, this is such an exciting time for us. We wanted to be close to the sea. We are going to stay with friends for 2 weeks when we arrive in Mona Vale (northern beaches). We also wanted to check out south of Sydney too like Wollongong. I have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that we will only really be able to make a decision once we get there...

Hi Kanniewagnie - how cool, April seems to be the month for heading to Sydney!!! Where are you thinking of going?

Hi Kanniewagnie - how cool, April seems to be the month for heading to Sydney!!! Where are you thinking of going?

Hi Linda & Paul . Congratulations on taking the plunge. It's certainly not for the faint hearted unless you are coming to a high paying job or have a few million dollars in your account. Budget pretty much controls where you live in Sydney. having children we went for the larger house with pool , space and the slightly rural feel but the price to pay is that it takes an hour to reach the beaches at Cronulla, Manley, Freshwater, Curl Curl & Woolongong ( all lovely beaches ). Snt Ives , Frenches Forest and The Hills Districts all offer lovely 4 bedroom houses with leafy suburbs and a good upper class feel. Houses vary from $750000 to a couple of million in these areas. Woolongong is a bit far South of Sydney and it takes an hour to drive a car to Cronulla and about and hour an a half to get anywhere close to Sydney city centre.

Pitwater area North of Sydney is amazing too but very expensive. There are certain areas in Sydney which are just "no go areas" so if they are much cheaper, don,t even go there unless you plan to enter the property market with a low budget to enter real estate.

Selection of schools is a massive decider as well and you are well advised to hunt down either a very good government school ( perhaps selective school) or an expensive private school. To emphasize this we have heard of one South African family who have PR and have gone back to SA to educate their kids. They plan to return again once this is done.

You will love life in Sydney. We certainly have a ball here. PM us if you require more information. Kind regards Rodney & Pamela

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'll be commuting to Gordon from Double Bay for the first month and will need to find something closer...so far Wahroonga, Turrmurra, Pymble and Lindfield look like good options... any advice in this regard would be great. We're a family of 3 - my daughter turned 5 in Feb and we're thinking of only sending her to school next year, so would need to find a good daycare that doesn't cost more than our weekly rent (since we only have one salary until hubby finds a job).