New Pet Quarantine regulations effective - 2nd Dec 2013

MandC

Magenta, thank you so much for your post. I had the same questions as juanandliaanetrip above! I just found these posts. I have a miniature schnauzer and was really concerned about the whole taking pets with and quarantine process and didn't know where to find more info/answers. The website links you provided were very helpful as were your comments on other costs. Thanks for your input!

I'm still concerned about the trauma the whole process might have on her, anyone who has taken their pets through this process please share your experience... Thanks!

We all have that one thing about the move that stresses us out the most....for me it is my dog. She is 9 years old and I also worry about how she will survive the flight and spend 10 days in quarantine with strangers!!

Hi,

In South Africa we went through Karinga and i cant tell you how amazing they are. They took me through every step of the way together with our vet.

We have just done the quarantine process for our dogs. We have two Sausage dogs and was so stressed about the process. The people at eastern creek are so caring and trust me they do care for them and give them love. When we picked them up it was as if they never left us. Good luck all it will be over before you know it. X

• Like 1

Hi Coops, thank you for giving a bit of hope, I'm much relieved to hear that your two Sausage dogs were treated so well and that the stress seems to be quite minimum (especially when compared to the frightful thoughts I've entertained!) I agree with Magenta, my pet's welfare is probably my greatest worry about the move, especially the fact that I feel she has to go through it all alone. It brings some relief to know that others have gone through this and come out ok. All the best with your new life down under! X

Hi all. We used a local pet export company in East London to transport our 2 boys (a 6 yr old chow and a 7 yr old cocker spaniel with a neuromuscular disease on chronic meds). We picked them up from Eastern Creek this weekend. I was so worried about the whole process, especially with the spaniel, but I really didn't need to be. I downloaded the step by step guide from the DAFF website and just followed it. My boys were well looked after by the pet handlers at the airports and by the staff at Qantas and SAA. The quarantine staff were excellent and sent us regular updates about when our boys arrived, how they were doing etc. When we picked them up yesterday, both boys were healthy and in good condition. They are exactly the same as before the trip- I was expecting my neurotic little spaniel to be anxious for a while, but he has been 100%. So to those still coming and considering taking your pets, in my opinion, it is sooo worth it and the animals cope much better than their owners :) And Aus really caters for the dogs... there are 2 off lead dog parks within walking distance from our rental and water bowls attached to many of the taps in the parks. Our boys are loving it!

• Like 2

I'm so glad Magenta :) If my spoilt boytjies could handle it, any doggy can :)

Just one word of warning... vets here are ridiculously expensive. Ridiculously. We just paid $350 (R3500) for our 2 dogs to have their heart-worm vacs and a check up. Got a brochure for various pet medical aid options as it looks like this is a good way to go.

Hi Renny I see your dogs fly tomorrow 1 Oct from PE, shame good luck with them. I'm sure all will go perfectly. My staffy will also fly from PE in March/April which of the companies did you use, Petport or Move-a-pet with your process for them?

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly I will no longer be taking my girl over to Oz....we discovered earlier this week that she had a very aggressive bone cancer and we had to put her to sleep.

I have a travel crate for Sale. Never been used. Size 100/67/75 cm. I am in Cape Town - PM me if anyone is interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly I will no longer be taking my girl over to Oz....we discovered earlier this week that she had a very aggressive bone cancer and we had to put her to sleep.

I have a travel crate for Sale. Never been used. Size 100/67/75 cm. I am in Cape Town - PM me if anyone is interested.

So sorry to hear about this Magenta!

We used petport, but honestly I would not recommend them. Will write my whole story when I am up to it. For now all I can say is that they are friendly but not very specific and feedback is terrible. If quarantine did not contact me to let me know my dog arrived, I would not even have known that she was at Petport fir 7 days before that. Prtport never confirmed that she arrived with them, how she was coping or that she got on the plane to Aus. :(

• 2 months later...

Hi,

In South Africa we went through Karinga and i cant tell you how amazing they are. They took me through every step of the way together with our vet.

We have just done the quarantine process for our dogs. We have two Sausage dogs and was so stressed about the process. The people at eastern creek are so caring and trust me they do care for them and give them love. When we picked them up it was as if they never left us. Good luck all it will be over before you know it. X

Hi Coops

Which option did you go for with Karinga? They sent me a quote which included this whole long boarding period on this side.

After having gone through the process would you still recommend Karinga?

Kindest regards

So glad we don't have to leave our doggy, we got her from wetnose as a pup and after we had the baby she tucks him in and sleeps beside him most days. Would have been terrible to have to leave her.

AWESOME NEWS!!!

Due to circumstances, my doggie has been living with my in-laws for some time now so I get to see her on weekends. She doesn't pine away for me during the week or anything (she has a buddy to play with), but as soon as my car pulls up on a Friday evening when I visit, she goes absolutely ballistic, my wife is convinced that she is in love with me or something :blush-anim-cl:

I won't be taking her along with us when we leave, but I get the feeling she will be sadder by my absence that I will be of hers :oops: . It feels weird that I feel I need to Skype her at least once a week, or at least chat to her when we Skype the in-laws. I feel for those that have to leave a furry loved one behind, I can imagine that it's a traumatic experience.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone explain why Karinga quotes you on a month boarding at their facility here in SA?

I gather so that it's easier for them to keep tabs on things but it makes it seem more traumatic for the animals...

• 1 year later...

Hi

As I understand they get their last shots during that time. They also get intense checks on ticks and fleas. When your dog arrives in OZ and one tick or flea is found on them you Pet will be detained for longer than 10 days and you will be responsible for extra fees for boarding as well as treatments etc. We've got 2 yorkies and will also take them when we go. They are like kids in the house so I'd rather sell my furniture here and take them with than to leave them behind...:rolleyes:

From previous posts I've read that its more traumatic on us than it is on them.

• 3 months later...

For those of you planning to leave with your pets in December 2016 ...

Here are the Mickleham Quarantine closing dates.

Dear Customer,

Please be advised that this year conditions have changed for arrivals over the Christmas/New Year period at the Post Entry Quarantine facility in Mickleham.  

Post Entry Quarantine will not be taking arrivals from Thursday 15th December 2016 to Monday 2nd January 2017 inclusive. Cat and dog collections will return to business as usual arrangements on Tuesday 3rd January 2017.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused, unfortunately in this timeframe some of our key stakeholders are not operating which impacts our ability to receive animals.

Any bookings that have already been made for this period will need to be changed to arrive before the 15th December 2015 or after the 2nd January 2017.

Regards,

Post Entry Quarantine | Booking & Invoicing|

• Like 1