New Pet Quarantine regulations effective - 2nd Dec 2013

MandC

From what I have read there is that South Africa is a non-approved country and all the testing must be done in an approved country before import to Aus.....

edit....shoe, sorry see we are under The republic of South Africa and on the approved list! :ilikeit:

Edited by Renny

OMG! Didn't know there was a maximum age and can find no information on the not so marvelous web. If anyone knows, please let us know - my very special cat is about to turn 13.

Hi

There is no age restriction. Dogs above 7 years old are regarded as geriatric and so when they were being put into quarantine for 6 months, they needed a health examination and x rays first. That has all passed away now though.

• 4 weeks later...

Also don't forget the other fees in Aus Quarantine for document processing, vet checks, admin fees etc (all listed on their website). They also give a rough idea of an average price for a single dog.

And about R16 000 for 2 medium dogs pet transport from JHB to Sydney which includes box, flights, export, State Vet clearance etc. (Based on recent quote after new conditions)

So all in all, around R30 000 - R40 000 for the whole shebang roughly (2 dogs) - which is a huge cost saving from before. Especially considering a lot of those costs remain from before.

It's still a chunk and a half though.. but worth it (imho)

Hi Jasper and anyone else,

Has anyone confirmed any costs since Quarrentine was cancelled. I just contacted globalpaws her story was as follows:

vet checks, innocs etc before dogs leave approx R5000 per dog x 2 = R10 000 This i pay myself for the duration of pre flight 6 month period

Flights and final checks incl boxes etc to sydney Rapprox R30 000 for the two dogs

Agents fees and quarrentine that side appox $2500/R25000

I am waiting on a quote from globalpaws, but this still seems very expensive

???????

any help?

trev

Hi,

We had our Jack Russell's RNAT test done on 11 November 2013 when we got the news of the changes. This was about R1 800.00.

We flew him to Keringa last Thursday from Cape Town where he will stay for 5 months as we're busy packing up. The cost for his domestic flight, kennelling, tests, import permit and flight to Sydney is R45 103.02. This excludes his boarding costs in Sydney and his transport to Kalgoorlie.

Hi Elmari

yes but the 5 month kenneling is a big chuck of that i think.

The fact is that local kennelling is no longer a requirement so i'm trying to figure out the actual lower cost

hi Trev

The cost for a flight to Sydney was R 5500 (that is for a Scotty so will be a little more for a bigger dog)

Then at eastern creek I am paying $40 x 3 for something called LAI I office which I assume is something like a check-up, $ 15 for manual lodgement and then $ 39 per day for one dog. So you at least pay $390 for the ten days at eastern creek, the flight and the tests. I cannot think that the tests are that expensive, I did a breakdown in a previous post, when I was thinking of going the NZ route and doing everything myself.

this is what I could find - these prices are a little old and I don't know what exactly they require under the new rules, but maybe you can get an idea?

RNat Rabies test = R 180 at your local vet for the drawing of the blood

Testing of blood at Onderstepoort = R 900

Courier (optional if you cant) = R 185

Import permit application fee = R 910

Oz import permit = R 3900

SA government inspection fee = R 792

Sa government export certification = R 143

Flight from OR Tambo to Sydney = R 5667

Stay at Eastern Creek ($39 per day) = R 3900

TOTAL R 16 577

I hope Im not leading you from "die wal af tot in die sloot" but I think if you don't have to put your animals into a facility like Keringa, you will get away with costs under R 20 000

• Like 1

Hi Toitjie,

Thanks for that. Thats looking a bit better. I Will have to do some serious research on the subject.

Appreciate the info.

Trev

We got a quote from keringa for two yorkies

Flight JHB to Sydney - R8264

boarding for 7 days (they do final vet checks, inspection fee, SA documents, export docs for SA) R10545

total was R18809.

we then need to do the 6 months vet visits etc before that.

Organise the quarantine in Aus ourselves as well as the import permit

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

Can anyone tell me what the costs are for bringing 1 pet (dog) over to Aus - flights ......

\i would really appreciate the info

:santa::santa::santa:

I was quoted R54k for 3 medium dogs to Sydney not evens Perth....so what am I missing here :jester: that was this past week. R18k each? one way! huh...because that was more than the cost before the change.....I feel like I lost the plot.

I Was Quoted for 2 boxers, Cape Town to Sydney

Globalpaws R43K

Kerringa R51K

Remember this excludes vet visits during 6 months prior to shipping add approx R10K (4-5K per dog)

Fees on Aus side, kennel 10 days per dog $400 x 2 + some other small fees - Call it R15K

So all in all the average of the quote was R47K + R25K(approx) in further costs - R72 000

Then we have not rented/found a pet friendly house yet, paid a bigger bond because of pets etc. I Love my dogs so much but this is not looking possible for us, we can afford it, but I personally think its still too expensive, I think the companies are still pushing their luck because its gotten "cheaper" so they push up their fees, thinking there is now more room for profit.

Maybe I should investigate arranging it all myself?? Anyone done this and have the contacts for who we need to get in touch with, maybe somekind of a checklist??

Trev

@may - who quoted you?

I was quoted R16 000 for 2 medium dogs JHB to Sydney with Petport which includes the State vet clearance, and SARS export clearance etc... we would of course need to provide all the vet docs for the 6 months. But in terms of getting them there, that's all that's needed.

I would assume these huge quotes are including some boarding time? With the change in quarantine, Keringa and Paws Resort will need to push the boarding time to at least stay afloat, so I can understand their adding these in to the quotes. But all that's actually needed is getting the pets to Aus.

Then of course there's all the costs associated with the Aus side too, for 10 days.

It's expensive still, that's for sure.

@jasper, Thank you, I just requested a quote and will let you know when I get it from Petport.

That sounds much better!!!

Trev

I was quoted R16 000 for 2 medium dogs JHB to Sydney with Petport which includes the State vet clearance, and SARS export clearance etc... we would of course need to provide all the vet docs for the 6 months. But in terms of getting them there, that's all that's needed.

I would assume these huge quotes are including some boarding time? With the change in quarantine, Keringa and Paws Resort will need to push the boarding time to at least stay afloat, so I can understand their adding these in to the quotes. But all that's actually needed is getting the pets to Aus.

Then of course there's all the costs associated with the Aus side too, for 10 days.

It's expensive still, that's for sure.

That sounds about right....but the other fee's are a lot if you add them all up. Just the import permit per dog is about R3000, then quarantine in aus is R3000 for the 10 days. So just adding that for the two dogs is another R12000. Then you have the 6 months pre-visit vet checks, rabies shots, micro cipping etc. The rabies shots and sending the data to be verified is about R2000 per dog (from what I have heard)

Flying a pet locally from say PE -JHB is also around R600 for a small dog (last quote I got a year ago for a Yorkie), say it could be R1000 for med size dog

So the total for the two dogs are already at R34000 (plus pre vet visits)....and then this is like planning for a wedding....you always have to add another 15% to your budget for the unexpected costs ;)

• Like 1

Oh no, this is not good, this is really expensive. I also got a quote from petport and they quoted me R19 500.00 for my two dogs. Only to Melbourne then I have to go pick them up all the way from South Australia! :( This is also excluding VET costs, Kennel Costs in Australia etc. #Feeling-discouraged :(

What Renny says above is about spot on from what I've found including the bit about it being like planning a wedding!

From Petport, 2 boxers cpt-sydney R29K

This is much better than globalpaws @ R43K or kerringa @ 53K

trev

• Like 1

Something to look for when getting prices is what type of containers are being quoted on - Wooden or Plastic ones

Woodens are cheaper and have smaller volumes and Plastics are more expensive and higher in volume

Plastics are better for snub-nosed breeds because there is more space and better ventilation than a wooden container.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone started the new Quarantine process in Durban? Which VET is most clued up with this process?

• Like 1