New Pet Quarantine regulations effective - 2nd Dec 2013

MandC

I also understand it that the quarantine at a facility like Keringa has been waived, BUT you have to abide by all the regulation like the RNAT test. And this means that your animal must still stay in South Africa for the 6 months from the test date, but with you or family. The links to the approved VETS are however not working (yesterday it was not) so I cannot even start the query process as yet!

Our two Jack Russell's start their quarantine next Friday and Keringa informed me the they will have to do the full six months!!! They have not had their blood test for rabies an it states that the rabies blood test must be done at least six months before they may enter Australia. I am soooo bummed about this. Really thought we would get a shorter quarantine. Anyone else have the same predicament?

We're more or less in the same situation. We would have book in our Jack Russell by mid December to start with his quarantine at Keringa. Luckily I didn't confirm with them yet.

However, because of the RNAT test required 6 months before export to Aus, he'll have to do time at Keringa - maybe a month less (we don't have any one else to leave him with and I also don't want to burden my parents with taking him for all the tests, etc.)

I'm going to phone the State vet on Monday, to find out if they can test him as quickly as possible. This should buy him a month or so with us then, as we'll be leaving our home by end December.

He'll have to stay with Keringa when we leave so that all the other tests can be done and for them to ensure that everything is in order for his export.

I'm so glad the time on the other side is also less now!

I also understand it that the quarantine at a facility like Keringa has been waived, BUT you have to abide by all the regulation like the RNAT test. And this means that your animal must still stay in South Africa for the 6 months from the test date, but with you or family. The links to the approved VETS are however not working (yesterday it was not) so I cannot even start the query process as yet!

I contacted them via the site regarding the link not working. Got feedback that they will respond in 10 days. Will post detail here.

I also read the site a few times and from what I understand, is no quarantine except the 10days in Aus. There are tests to be done before hand, but this is way better than having your pet stay in quarantine.

Hi guys. So stoked about the new quarantine requirements! Luckily we only just started preparing our boys, a spaniel and a chow, for the big move. We have had them microchipped and they had their rabies jabs 2 weeks ago. We are from EL and would like a pet exporter to help us with all the admin as we would hate to have made some small error which would send our boys on a flight back to SA! Has anyone used Paws and Claws in EL? Or can anyone recommend a good exporter?

I phoned our vet this morning. He'll do the RNAT blood test on Monday and send it to the lab for the results. I then need to take the results to the state vet in Elsenburg to have it verified/certified.

This will buy us a few more weeks with our precious Clooney.

This means that he won't be going into quarantine at the beginning of December - he now only needs to go to Keringa shortly before we vacate our house i.e. Dec/Jan.

And I noted that there's not a quarantine station in Perth anymore...only in Melbourne and Sydney.

So much further away now!

And I noted that there's not a quarantine station in Perth anymore...only in Melbourne and Sydney.

So much further away now!

Is this definite? I e-mailed Byford, the quarantine station in Perth and they told me that they would only have a decision in January as to whether they will be open next year or not. Edited by Tebbutts

Hi
Who would be the pet agents in Johannesburg? Are Keringa or Global Paws only for quarantining or would they act as agents and organise your vaccinations if you go with the new regulations and keep your dogs with you?

I am very much hoping you are correct!!! Please let me know whether anyone finds out more on this...would save us a packet financially and emotionally!

He is, the pre-export quarantine period no longer applies. What is necessary to my understanding is that vaccinations must be done within a certain period prior to leaving. If you're leaving prior to the period being satisfied you could leave your pet with a family member

Edited by Brad76

Is this definite? I e-mailed Byford, the quarantine station in Perth and they told me that they would only have a decision in January as to whether they will be open next year or not.

I went to the AQIS website and they only listed the facilities in Sydney and Melbourne.

I understand that they close Byford during the fire season and that it only re-opened in June this year! Your pets are then send to the other stations for the interim.

If this is the case with fire season 2013/14 again, we expect our JR to go to either one of the other two....

I'm going to contact Keringa tomorrow to provide me with a new quote as he has to go there - we should be leaving early in the new year.

I'll keep you guys posted if I find out anything.

• Like 1

This was the email response from DAFF about my query on the rabies blood test 180 day:

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Unfortunately there is no way to speed up the mandatory 180 quarantine period. The earliest your animal can be prepared for import to Australia is determined by the date that the blood is drawn for the Rabies Neutralising Antibody Titre (RNAT) test. Your animal must wait the 180 period after the blood is drawn for this test to be eligible for import into Australia.

I have attached an FAQ which will provide further relevant information on how to prepare your animal for import under the new policy conditions.

Regards,

Ian Coulson

Permits Assessing Officer | Animal Import

That answer doesnt help at all unfortunately. The question should be "does the 180 days quarantine have to be an approved facilty in South Africa as per the old regulations or can the 180 days be served in the home."

That answer doesnt help at all unfortunately. The question should be "does the 180 days quarantine have to be an approved facilty in South Africa as per the old regulations or can the 180 days be served in the home."

Hi Jordy, I agree! unfortunately in our case, it does not make much difference though as we are flying to Melbourne 9 December 2013 with no option to leave them with family or friends here. :( So we have no other choice but to send them into kennels/quarantine until they can join us. On the positive side, at least they will only do 10 days when they arrive instead of 30!! :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the comments and help...

HI All,

I have just called Kerringa and Global Paws, neither of them can assist with a quote as they are busy "changing their systems" according to new rules, so they are not in a position to quote.

Does anyone have an idea what the cost would be to take a dog over in my case 2 boxers.

1.Cost of flight approx

2.Timeline and approx cost of injections pre - export

3.Approx cost and timeline of 10days Q-tine on arrival in Aus

Maybe many of you are in my position and cannot seem to access the info at this stage?

Trev

From the information I have gathered so far for a Bull terrier weighing +/- 25kgs (I think it may vary based on the size of the animal)

Approximate cost of flight R12000

Approximate cost of Aus quarantine $33-$39 per day

Hi Trevor

I got a quote form Keringa on the "old system" and the cost breakdown for quarantine was a follows:

Kenneling (standard):

• 90 days in SA: R13022.13
  • 120 days in SA: R15736.23
  • 150 days in SA: 18540.33
  • 180 days in SA: R21164.43

Kenneling (luxury):

• 90 days in SA: R26265.63
  • 120 days in SA: R33394.23
  • 150 days in SA: R40552.83
  • 180 days in SA: R47651.43

Extras:

• Import permit application fee: R910.00 per family
  • Additional non-refundable deposit: R500.00 per set
  • Australian Import Permit - Bank draft (approx.): R3900.00 for 1st pet
  • Australian Import permit - Bank draft (additional pets): R2400.00 per pet
  • South African Government Inspection Fee: R792.00 per family
  • South African Government Export Certification: R143.00 per pet

Optional extras:

• Heaters: R48.00 per night (recommended from 15 March to 15 September)

I also phoned Keringa abut the new regulations and got the same response as you.

We started the process so long by taking our pet to our vet last night to have his RNAT blood test. This costs R1671.00 - the blood is sent to Onderstepoort for testing and the results should be available within two weeks.

I also discussed the dog having his RNAT test so long with Keringa as this will sort of "speed up" the process and they were "OK" with it.

Our vet recommended that we deal with Keringa for the export process as Australia's quite strict on importing animals - she worked in several overseas countries and dealt with pets being exported from the UK, Canada, Bahrain, etc.

So we'll book him into Keringa shortly before we leave for Aus - he will stay for a shorter period than the original required six months.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Elmari
  • Like 2

The above mentioned fees do not include the travel container, required blood tests or flights.

Flights are charged by the volume weight of the container, not the pets actual weight, which is usually quite a difference

Aus. charges for 1 Dog would be AUS$715.00 (AUS$325 for the Import Permit if done online and AUS$390 for the 10 days quarantine)

For an additional dog would be AUS$495.00 (AUS$165 for the Import Permit if done online and AUS$330 for the 10 days quarantine)

Clearance fees are given to the quarantine station after arrival and then invoiced for.

And then the onwards flight to final destination if not Sydney / Melbourne - for 1 Staffie sized dog is +- AUS$550.00 (to Perth) and an agent has to arrange for this, the quarantine stations do not.

Also don't forget the other fees in Aus Quarantine for document processing, vet checks, admin fees etc (all listed on their website). They also give a rough idea of an average price for a single dog.

And about R16 000 for 2 medium dogs pet transport from JHB to Sydney which includes box, flights, export, State Vet clearance etc. (Based on recent quote after new conditions)

So all in all, around R30 000 - R40 000 for the whole shebang roughly (2 dogs) - which is a huge cost saving from before. Especially considering a lot of those costs remain from before.

It's still a chunk and a half though.. but worth it (imho)

I mailed Qantas airline regarding prices of flights for dogs.....this is the reply I got from them

Regarding the exportation of live animals from South Africa to Australia, due to Customs procedures in South Africa as well as airline documentation required, all live animals must be handled by either an animal transport agency OR a freight forwarding agent.

Although I understand your reluctance in dealing via an agent, we cannot deal with you directly for this shipment.

There is a DA550 (Bill of Entry export) which is required to be completed and submitted to Customs in Johannesburg electronically.

Then there is the Air Way Bill which is required to be typed out and completed as well.

Both these functions are done by agents.

The last time I asked Jolene at Keringa what the flight cost for Lucy would be it was in the region of R 7000 (Scottish terrier)