New Pet Quarantine regulations effective - 2nd Dec 2013

MandC

Just out of interest, what would the total cost breakdown be for a dog? I sit with a Husky and Beagle I would love to bring over...

One of the main bits of info I'd like to find out is what determines a Government Approved Vet - if there are specific state vets that can only be used, or whether an licensed vet, is "government approved" - this would obviously have a big impact for us folk not in the capitals.

I'm leaning more towards assuming that a licensed vet is able to do the overall vaccinations etc, and then perhaps prior to exportation, a state vet does a once over and stamps the forms (most of the transport companies have tame vets on hand for that).

But I'm talking completely from ignorance and have asked for info from the actual transport people who know what they're talking about.

There are still a ton of costs - but they would have happened anyway, so the savings are massive literally and mentally.

From the link provided and the step by step guide given it seams that we will be able to it ourselves and not go via an agent for this process. That will mean that we get to do all the tests over the year period (spread the costs on that) and then just take the dog on the plane! I read on quantas site that you can take the dog as part of your total luggage allowance. (the do have to go in freight). We have two small dogs (together about 4.5kg) so even if we have to pay excess luggage for the 4.5kg it would still be cheap compared to the quotes up to now

this is the best news so far....well I guess when we get our visa it will be the best news ever

That's wonderful Rennie, adding our doggies as lug allowance would be great !

I would think we would be able to do it by ourselves !

Does anyone know where I could find a list of tests that need to be done.

http://www.daff.gov.au/biosecurity/cat-dogs/step-by-step-guides/category-3-step-by-step-guide-for-dogs?name=the%20Republic%20of%20South%20Africa

all you need to do!!

click on the link...it will take you to the step by step guide

Edited by Renny
  • Like 1

Step 8 states -

"The department does not place any restrictions on the airline you choose. However, the animal must travel as "Manifested Cargo" (not in the cabin) and in an International Air Transport Association (IATA) approved crate for dogs"

This means the pets have to be booked as cargo through the cargo section of an airline and cannot just be handed in with your luggage at the passenger section.

And as cargo you are charged on the volumetric weight of the travel container and not your pets actual weight - which is where the difference in freight cost comes in, your dogs may weigh 4.5kg together but their travel container's volume would be at least 16kg to 22kg each, depending on the breed of dogs and their measurements.

Along with cargo comes the fuel & security fees, air waybill fees and any airline handling fees.

Qantas also only accepts bookings for pets made by account holders and by people / companies with previous experience with dealing with live animals

Yes, going through an agent may be more expensive, but it ensures everything is done correctly and all the paperwork is in order

• Like 1

Also see Step 19: Travel to Australia

• The dog must be consigned to Australia in a container that meets the standard required in the International Air Transport Association (IATA) Live Animals Regulation Container Requirement 1.
  • In most cases the animal will be checked in at the freight terminal, not the passenger terminal.
  • The dog must arrive in Australia on, or after, 3 February 2014 and prior to the expiry date of the import permit.

So it does seem that they wont be able to travel on the same flight with you and just "handed in as hand luggage".

Jasper - for the titre test your local vet does it but they courier it to the state vet @ Onderstepoort in my case.

You need to check with the airline as to what their rules are. Qantas takes the dog ( cargo freight) on your flight as part of your baggage allowance. SAA does not and you do pay for the dog per kg extra. The price is on their website and calculated at normal excess bagage.
Going through an agent is really way more expensive and I do believe that if you dont mind doing some research you would be able to read and print the forms you need and submit it for import of your dogs. You dont need to pay thousands to make sure you have the right paperwork (quoted R50k for two dogs). You just need to read and follow the instructions. Its the same with our visas.. . . Some insist you make use of an agent to make sure you do the right thing and fill the right forms in. Alternatively you read up and do it yourself...might take a little longer, but you will be wiser at the other end

Would be great if they could go hand luggage, but don't think they will allow that on international flights... :P

This is from Qantas website....

On international flights or the domestic sector of international flights, or if you are not travelling with your pet, your pet must be sent as freight

Note that the number of pet containers allowed on an aircraft is limited. (so book way in advance!)

Make sure your pet+ is contained in a pet pack before arriving at the passenger terminal. Unfortunately, we can't accept pets on a lead.

A pet pack may be considered part of your baggage allowance if you are departing from and arriving at an eligible airport.* Lodge your baggage at the passenger terminal at least sixty (60) minutes prior to departure, ensuring your pet pack meets carriage requirements.

You will be required to pay excess baggage charges if your baggage, including your pet pack, exceeds the free baggage allowance. There is a limit of two (2) pet packs (no larger than the medium pet pack) per passenger, subject to normal baggage allowances. Additional pet packs will be sent as airfreight and you will be required to pay the applicable freight charges.

* Pets are permitted in the Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane passenger terminals. Pets travelling to or from any other airports are not permitted in the passenger terminal and should be booked directly with Qantas Freight or an animal transport company.

I am going to mail them for some detail, will post when I get feedback

Edited by Renny
  • Like 1

I think Keringa is going to lose a bit of revenue due to this ;) but good news for all pet owners!

@toitjie, i just thought the same thing! I think I will start with the 100 step process to getting your pets in aus!

I love the research and doing things myself. Lets see if its do-able. Might help a few actually getting their pets over instead of leaving them behind due to costs.

Well you guys are so lucky, my three little dogs came out of there 7 month quarantine on the 29 October total cost ZAR 145 000.

It is a scary ordeal for them with the flight but they did it, after 2 days they were back to normal back home with their family.

• Like 1

Our two Jack Russell's start their quarantine next Friday and Keringa informed me the they will have to do the full six months!!! They have not had their blood test for rabies an it states that the rabies blood test must be done at least six months before they may enter Australia. I am soooo bummed about this. Really thought we would get a shorter quarantine. Anyone else have the same predicament?

• Like 1

Well you guys are so lucky, my three little dogs came out of there 7 month quarantine on the 29 October total cost ZAR 145 000.

It is a scary ordeal for them with the flight but they did it, after 2 days they were back to normal back home with their family.

Just trying to understand-so does this new law reduce the 7 month quarantine to just 10 days provided the dog has all relevant vaccines?

You see, THATS the thing. It's the vaccinations that must be up to date, BUT most importantly, the pets must have had their microchip AND rabies blood tests through the State Vet AT least 6 months PRIOR to arriving in Australia!!!

Our two Jack Russell's start their quarantine next Friday and Keringa informed me the they will have to do the full six months!!! They have not had their blood test for rabies an it states that the rabies blood test must be done at least six months before they may enter Australia. I am soooo bummed about this. Really thought we would get a shorter quarantine. Anyone else have the same predicament?

"If dog or cat owners have already started the import process, current import conditions apply. " here

Your dogs have not started the process and so my guess is that the current regulations dont apply.

If I was you I would go read the new regulations very carefully because the way I understand it is that if the animal enters after 4th February 2014, the new regulations apply meaning they would not need to have done the time at Keringa. You would still need to do the rabbis shots but the way I understand it, they would not need to do the time in Keringa but could be home quantined. Perhaps your pets could stay with a friend if you are leaving RSA before the 6 months months is up. I havent studied the new regs in detail so I may be speaking out of turn, but I would seriously question Keringa's letter to you.

Just a thought but dont these new regulations effectively kill off the 3 quarantine kennels in South Africa?

Just saw this under the FAQ

Pre-export quarantine (South Africa only)

Old requirements: Dogs and cats required to complete quarantine in their originating country as well as Australia

new requirements: Pre-export quarantine is not required

If I was you I would be cancelling my Keringa booking.

Thanks Jordy! I do wish it were so, however, SA is now classified as category 3 and this is an extract from the final policy document:

"Recommendations relating to rabies include:

• the removal of post-arrival quarantine as a measure for rabies
  • for importation from approved countries recognised by the Department of Agriculture as rabies-free (Category 1 and 2)—the continued recognition of certification of country freedom as an appropriate biosecurity measure for rabies
  • for importation from approved countries not recognised by the Department of Agriculture as rabies-free (Category 3)—the removal of the pre-export residency requirement of six months in an approved country. All pre-export preparations must still be performed in an approved country, including a valid rabies neutralising antibody titre test at least 180 days before export to Australia
  • for importation from the Republic of South Africa—the removal of pre-export quarantine
  • for importation from countries not approved by the Department of Agriculture—dogs and cats continue to be eligible for importation only via an approved country and must meet all of the Department of Agriculture’s biosecurity requirements for that approved country."

I would love more input on this!!!

Hi! ALSO:

minus.gifStep 4: Rabies Neutralising Antibody Titre (RNAT) test
Timeframe: Between 6 and 24 months before export
For your RNAT test to be valid, the following requirements must be met:
  • The blood sample must be drawn in a Department of Agriculture approved country.
  • A Government Approved Veterinarian must scan the animal’s microchip and collect a blood sample for the RNAT test.
  • The animal’s microchip number must be written on the blood tube and the laboratory submission form.
  • The testing laboratory must be approved by the Competent Authority in the exporting country. It is acceptable to draw blood in a Department of Agriculture approved country and be tested at a laboratory in a different approved country.
  • The laboratory report must be in English and completed on the testing laboratory’s letterhead. The report must include the animal’s microchip number, the blood sampling date, the signature of the person responsible for issuing the laboratory report, the location where the blood sample was taken and test result.
  • A result of 0.5 IU/ml or more is acceptable. A result of less than 0.5 IU/ml is not acceptable and in this circumstance you may re-vaccinate and repeat the testing process.
  • The department recognises the RNAT test result for 24 months from the date of blood sampling to the date of export. The animal must have a valid RNAT test Laboratory Report at the time of export. If the RNAT test is due to expire (i.e., greater than 24 months old) prior to the date of export, you must have your dog retested prior to the expiry date.
  • The animal is not eligible for importation into Australia until at least one hundred and eighty (180) days have passed from the date that the blood sample is drawn for the RNAT test (with a satisfactory result).

Thanks Jordy! I do wish it were so, however, SA is now classified as category 3 and this is an extract from the final policy document:

"Recommendations relating to rabies include:

• the removal of post-arrival quarantine as a measure for rabies
  • for importation from approved countries recognised by the Department of Agriculture as rabies-free (Category 1 and 2)—the continued recognition of certification of country freedom as an appropriate biosecurity measure for rabies
  • for importation from approved countries not recognised by the Department of Agriculture as rabies-free (Category 3)—the removal of the pre-export residency requirement of six months in an approved country. All pre-export preparations must still be performed in an approved country, including a valid rabies neutralising antibody titre test at least 180 days before export to Australia
  • for importation from the Republic of South Africa—the removal of pre-export quarantine
  • for importation from countries not approved by the Department of Agriculture—dogs and cats continue to be eligible for importation only via an approved country and must meet all of the Department of Agriculture’s biosecurity requirements for that approved country."

I would love more input on this!!!

I am not sure your extract quoted says they still have to do the 6 months quarantine. Yes it says do all the tests six months before but to me it says "

I am very much hoping you are correct!!! Please let me know whether anyone finds out more on this...would save us a packet financially and emotionally!