New Pet Quarantine regulations effective - 2nd Dec 2013

MandC

It seems that the final policy changes has been released today.

My heart is singing, because of all the things I miss about South Africa my dogs are by far the biggest.

Found this on the DAFF website. Not sure when the policy will actually change but this is the final draft of suggested changes:

http://www.daff.gov.au/ba/reviews/final-animal/dogs_and_cats/ba2013-22-final-policy-importation-dogs-cats-semen-approved-countries

6 November 2013

This Biosecurity Advice informs stakeholders that the Australian Government Department of Agriculture has finalised the review of biosecurity policy for the importation of dogs and cats (including semen) from approved countries. Once the necessary arrangements for implementation have been completed, the policy will be taken into account by decision makers when considering import permit applications in accordance with the Quarantine Act 1908 and Quarantine Proclamation 1998 as amended.
The Australian Government Department of Agriculture has completed a policy review of the importation of dogs and cats and their semen from approved countries. A draft policy review was issued on 26 July 2012 for a 60-day consultation period, which closed on 24 September 2012 (BA 2012/17). The Department of Agriculture considered all of the 155 stakeholder comments received.

The policy review concludes that an increased emphasis on offshore preparation is an effective and practical approach to achieve Australia’s appropriate level of protection that reduces the need for extended periods of post-arrival quarantine.

The policy review includes a number of key revisions to biosecurity measures for the importation of dogs and cats and their semen. One of these is for approved countries (from which dogs and cats and their semen can be exported to Australia) to be classified into three categories based on their animal health status. This replaces the five categories under the previous policy.
Recommendations relating to rabies include:

• the removal of post-arrival quarantine as a measure for rabies
  • for importation from approved countries recognised by the Department of Agriculture as rabies-free (Category 1 and 2)—the continued recognition of certification of country freedom as an appropriate biosecurity measure for rabies
  • for importation from approved countries not recognised by the Department of Agriculture as rabies-free (Category 3)—the removal of the pre-export residency requirement of six months in an approved country. All pre-export preparations must still be performed in an approved country, including a valid rabies neutralising antibody titre test at least 180 days before export to Australia
  • for importation from the Republic of South Africa—the removal of pre-export quarantine
  • for importation from countries not approved by the Department of Agriculture—dogs and cats continue to be eligible for importation only via an approved country and must meet all of the Department of Agriculture’s biosecurity requirements for that approved country.

The policy review also recommends the removal of the pre-export residency requirement of 90 days for the importation of dogs and cats from New Zealand.

In addition to revised biosecurity measures for rabies, the policy review recommends:

• the revision of biosecurity measures for external and internal parasites and (for dogs only) canine brucellosis, canine monocytic ehrlichiosis and leptospirosis
  • the adoption of a minimum mandatory post-arrival quarantine period of 10 days to address the risks of external parasites and associated vector-borne diseases
  • for dog semen—the revision of biosecurity measures for canine brucellosis, leishmaniasis and leptospirosis.

Until notified otherwise, the import conditions under the previous policy continue to apply for the importation of dogs and cats and their semen from approved countries. Operational requirements will be addressed before the revised policy comes into effect. Further information about implementation will be available shortly.

• Like 6

I am dancing and singing!!! We are planning on leaving our yorkie, Sam, with my sister until they bring this into operation and then fly him to us. Not only will it be emotionally better for Sam but also financially for my pocket! :ilikeit:

• Like 1

this sounds really good.....We are not on our way yet, but I received some quotes on sending them via NZ. It is still just as expensive as to Aus, even though they will not be in quarantine and would be staying in NZ with friends.

has anybody considered not going through a company to send your pets to AUS? If we can do the whole visa story without an agent, surely we can get our pets there without an agent?

This is awesome! !!

what about the month in Sydney after arrival? Will that also be scrapped?

Thank you so much, I'm with Clover on this one, wonder when we will have finality on this? And also what the new process/cost/timeline will be for getting our pups to Aus????

If anyone has info pls post...

T

what about the month in Sydney after arrival? Will that also be scrapped?

Wonderful news. When will it take effect???

Toitjie, I think I read somewhere that the post arrival quarantine will only be 10 days.

Mittwelt, I have no idea, hopefully it will be soon, however, knowing the Aussies, nothing particularly happens in a hurry. This process has now been ongoing for over a year. The decision was supposed to be made in the biginning of 2013 already

well here's to hoping then! Really good news anyway for everyone!

Here's info from a media release from DAFF's minister today:

"From 2 December 2013, people can apply for an import permit under the new conditions. Cats and dogs imported under the new arrangements can be booked into quarantine facilities from 3 February 2014."

Full release here - http://www.maff.gov.au/Pages/Media%20Releases/dogs-cats-home-sooner-with-new-biosecurity-conditions.aspx

• Like 2

Oh, and their whole website is now updated with the new info - so it's official!

Just waiting for them to fill in other info like approved vets etc.

Incredible news for pet lovers!

• Like 1

I wonder how this affects those of us who are already in the process - and far along? Lucy has been in quarantine for almost 5 months now....

Edited to add - just saw this:

If dog or cat owners have already started the import process, current import conditions apply.

It seems I have missed the boat, and we will have to stay with the longer process...which is such a pity because the 30 days in Sydney is EXPENSIVE!

Edited by Toitjie

Hi,

This morning I received the official email with the new quarantine information for bringing dogs into Aus...

'Dear stakeholder

You are receiving this notification as you have subscribed to the Department of Agriculture’s email alerts.

I am writing to inform you that the Department of Agriculture is changing the import requirements for dogs and cats coming to Australia.

The new import requirements will be available to importers whose animal(s) will be imported on or after 3 February 2014 (except for those imported from New Zealand). The department will be able to accept applications for permits under the new conditions from 2 December 2013.

The key change to import requirements is a decrease in the minimum number of days in post-entry quarantine, from 30 to 10 (made possible by more intensive pre-export preparations).

You can access key information about the new requirements via the department’s website (www.daff.gov.au/biosecurity/cat-dogs).'

Too bad my dogs are already in New Zealand completing their 3 month stay. :(

Having said that, I am SO happy for all the other dog mommies and daddies out there! :)

Elmarie

• Like 2

I cant seem to find what the pre-arrival quantine period is now. Can anyone see what it is now?

No quarantine in RSA at all, 10 days in Australia. :)

We fall into the testing category in the UAE (but chuffed to pieces about the quarantine on arrival). Read very carefully the timings, because various tests have to be done at least 90 days before travel, but travel has to be within 12 months of the test. However, the test can't be done until weeks after the necessary shots, etc, etc, etc. It is a brilliant process for shipping animals and far less traumatic to both animal and bank balance, but you need to pay very careful attention to the fine print.

The costs can be quite high, but it works out cheaper than long term boarding.

Watch out for the rabies test. Dogs can't be exported for 6 months after the test. They can still stay at home, but in our case we don't have a home (moving out at the end of Nov) or somebody to leave him with for an extended period, so he will still have to spend quite a bit of time in the kennels. But, very exciting news all round and so awesome for our little furry family members.

Here is the letter I ALSO received today. Its official!! I am soooo happy!

Yes, the testing is a bit more involved, however, they are not shut up in a cage. All the links on the website is not working yet, but I hope that it will be soon so that we can get the ball rolling, and by next year May I could see my kids again!!!

Dear stakeholder

You are receiving this notification as you have subscribed to the Department of Agriculture’s email alerts.

I am writing to inform you that the Department of Agriculture is changing the import requirements for dogs and cats coming to Australia.

The new import requirements will be available to importers whose animal(s) will be imported on or after 3 February 2014 (except for those imported from New Zealand). The department will be able to accept applications for permits under the new conditions from 2 December 2013.

The key change to import requirements is a decrease in the minimum number of days in post-entry quarantine, from 30 to 10 (made possible by more intensive pre-export preparations).

You can access key information about the new requirements via the department’s website (www.daff.gov.au/biosecurity/cat-dogs).

Tim Brinkley

Director | Animal Division | Animal Import Operations Branch

Department of Agriculture

GPO Box 858 Canberra ACT

2601 Australia

Edited by MandC

Great news! Thanks for sharing.

Sorry about the doggies that already in the process :thumbdown:

No quarantine in RSA at all, 10 days in Australia. :)

@Elmarie - Is this all it is now? I remember it was 7 months of quaranteen - does this mean now that this is now no longer the case?