Move Cube questions

VanWyke

Hi all forumites

We had a not-so-pleasant surprise yesterday when Della from Seven Seas informed us that the price for the Move Cube increased by a whopping R3500!

Apart from a container does anyone know of any alternatives to using them? We're not completely fond of their service so far. We are from the Free State and they are not prepared to deliver the cube to us, so we have to drive up to their warehouse ourselves. Also, they seem to have no-one at the warehouse to help us pack (even though they clearly indicate on their quote that they can assist at an additional cost).

Last question, does it make a difference what boxes we use? Could it be boxes that has been used for something else and just clearly marked as to what is in them? Obviously they cannot deliver their boxes to us either. Are they strict on the 30kg weight limit of they boxes - do they actually weigh them?

Anyone's thoughts will be appreciated!

Wow, that is terrible service! We are using them to ship our boxes and the service has been excellent. The boxes that they delivered to us are special type of boxes that are extra strong. Their rule regarding weighing the boxes are that the driver will pick up each box and if the box "feels" over 30kg, he will not take the box. This is bull to me, so we are making sure our boxes are under 30kg and we will have our scale handy that day!

Yes you can use your own boxes, that is how we understand it too, but just make sure the boxes are in good condition and sealed well and marked clearly. Good luck!

sorry for the shocking service!

Dont know any similar alternative.

We used our own boxes obtained from everywhere (all used boxes) and did not weigh any. We tried to use smallish boxes so that we could manage them.

The driver who delivered the cube sat in the drivers seat the entire time.

But when we got the Oz, the Ozzy driver got out and helped a lot!

No, we're not expecting the driver to help - there won't even be a driver as they refuse to drive down to Welkom. I was referring to someone to assist me to offload at the warehouse. My wife won't be strong enough to lift the heavy items. The strange thing is that they offer that "we can help you load at a small fee" on every quotation they sent me so far. Oh well I suppose this service is not applicable in South Africa... :whome:

We used seven seas

They came this weekend, they brought the wrong size box, we send them back.

And after all that the two guys were very friendly and helpful.

We intended of packing everything ourselves as that is what we thought we paid for.

But they asked if they could help, we friendly declined. But the one guy just could not help himself, so after a while both of them

helped us pack the cube.

Thank you for your replies. I really hope that the supervisor at the warehouse would be able to assist. We tried to book today, but they must first confirm availability of the large movecube with the warehouse.

Another question. The topic about wood: Movecube says 'no raw wood'. What about the wooden frame inside my couches?

Raw wood is wood that has not been through a manufacturing process. The wood in your couches is not raw wood.

I just had a call from John at Seven Seas' Johannesburg warehouse. He offered to help us lift the heavy items or arrange with one of his guys at the warehouse. Thank you John for this.

• Like 1

Glad to hear it VanWyke. At least 1 friendly person! Good luck with packing and getting everything there!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, time for the blond in me to come out again...

What is the size and price difference of the move cube versus a container?

AND

Why would you use the one and not the other/

VanWyke, glad you got all sorted out.

Think of them kind of like buying chips in those 30g packets vs the bigger packet.

The movecube is cheaper than the container (20ft for example) but proportionally, you'd get more for your buck using the container.

For numbers, as far as I know, it costs around R16'000 for the large movecube from Cape Town to major Aus cities (July quote, I've heard it's gone up a bit). That includes really everything except for 'anomalies' at customs in Aus.

Plus, the movecube is SELF-PACK.

The container price varies quite dramatically depending on your circumstances. I've seen people quoting R46'000 to R56'000). They do all your packing and the good ones have prices quoted as all inclusive.

I think they all delivery to your door but I stand corrected (I know movecube is to your door).

The size of the large movecube is around 6.1 m3.

The container I cannot comment on but looking at standard sizes of containers, it looks to be around 38.5m3.

So there you have it, if you have the stuff to fill that space and don't want the packing, then use the 20ft container.

If you don't have that much stuff you WANT to take with and don't mind packing yourself, then use the movecube.

Each has their merits and it's truely down to your needs.

P.S. We're not taking lots (merely those things one would need to re-setup if we were to move into an unfurnished place) so we are using a movecube.

I have heard that it's possible to share space in a container. Perhaps call Bayley's and ask them? Or another reputable company.

Hyperion, yes the price of the large move cube did in fact go up by a whopping R3500 last week. Including Aus customs, it cost us in the region of R20000.

For us getting anything bigger than the move cube was not an option as we really didn't want to send that many things.

I have used the large move cube, I had two that I packed before I left for Australia and then when we moved states from Canberra to the Gold Coast I used them again., the service in Australia was great, not so good in Durban I even complained the van they had brought with the cube after we packed the cube their rented scadonk could not even pull my cube out of the driveway, we had to use our double cab to get the cube out into the road. You are allowed 1500kg total weight.

What I like about the move cube is you pack everything yourself you can use any box size and shape you can even pack loosely, the main thing is when you moving from SA is your itemized list and labeling very important as long as you are organized you will have no problems, the only thing they checked of mine in customs was the mountain bike which was clearly labeled when they opened the cube,

I did bring in a lot of wooden furniture over as long as it is treated/ stained/ varnished all good.

Also how you pack your cube is important as it will be on the sea for a while, my 2 cubes were in rough seas my tumble dryer/ fridge took a big knock with the impact but they are still in working order as I packed all my linen and small stuff in side every nook and cranny.

So the drum on the washing machine and tumble dryer did not move.

Good luck guys