What to do while in North Lakes, QLD

Heymanse

Hi everyone,

We are planning a short holiday next week and will be staying in North Lakes QLD. A job opportunity might present itself within the near future and we want to have a look at what Brisbane has to offer. But we haven't had a break in quite a while so having some fun and relaxation is also very high on the priority list. I've had a look at a couple of things we might want to do while we're there like visiting South Bank Parklands, maybe spend a day at Redcliffe and if possible, take a day trip to Moreton Island and/or North Stradbroke Island. Hubby loves fishing and would love a good spot to fish if anyone has any ideas but what else or where else could we go - taking into consideration that we'll be in Brisbane 7 days only.

Just to make it easier, we'll be driving so don't need to depend on public transport necessarily.

The River Festival is on at the moment so South Bank in the evening will be good.

You've just missed the Redcliffe festival.

A trip to the Sunshine Coast, about 50 minutes from North Lakes is good.

I like Australia Zoo, but many find it a bit pricy

Tangalooma on Moreton Island is fun. Find out when they do the dolphin feeding.

• Like 1

Bribie Island (quite close to North Lakes) is great for fishing.

Go up Mt Tamborine (about 1 hr drive....but definitely well worth it) - it has a lovely little village up there with other things to do as well.

Mt Coo-tha botanical gardens is great for a relaxing meander

Take a ferry up\down the river.

• Like 1

Ooooo, I am GREEN!!! :P;)

Please post some pics on your return, especially of the fishing, hubby cant wait to get his lines wet in OZ. (Said that if he goes to do a LSD, he will be job and fishing spot hunting...) Sometimes I think he was born with a fishing rod in his hands... :whome:

A day trip to North Stradbroke (can take car across on Ferry) is one of my favourite things to do in Brisbane.

South Bank is always good for a day / half-day

For a full day adventure go to Moreton Island on the Tangalooma flyer - you wont regret it

Drive up to Caloundra (or even further) and see a bit of the coast.

Maleny is great for a scenic drive

Moreton Island and North Stradbroke was on my list but it is quite a drive to where you catch the ferry. I haven't ruled it out completely but will leave it to last and see if we have time to get to it. Might consider going to Mooloolaba one day. Been to Bribie Island today and really enjoyed it. Then drove to Redcliffe - very similar to Manly in NSW but VERY quiet compared to the hussle and bussle of Manly. Will be taking the train to Southbank Parklands and also see if we can take the free shuttle CBD bus to explore the city more. Somewhere I still need to squeeze in some fishing time for hubby. Anyone have any tips as to good fishing spots?

Mooloolaba is awesome :ilikeit:

Just spent the day there. First had some brekkie in Mooloolaba, then drove all the way up to Maroochydore where hubby got a line in the water for a couple of hours. Drove back to Mooloolaba and had a bite to eat for lunch at the fish market and then decided to cool off. Beach wasn't overly crowded and the water was nice and warm. Can definitely see myself living there. Beautiful beaches and foreshore, much like Manly but not as busy, which I appreciate.

• Like 1

The ferry for Moreton Island is at Eagle Farm not Cleveland - just in case you didn't realise, so that makes it about 25 minutes closer than the Stradbroke one.

You can take a little passenger ferry (10 minutes max, $6 I think?) to Coochiemudlo Island, and I've heard the fishing there is great. But thats at Victoria Point so a bit of a drive from Northlakes.

The ferry for Moreton Island is at Eagle Farm not Cleveland - just in case you didn't realise, so that makes it about 25 minutes closer than the Stradbroke one.

You can take a little passenger ferry (10 minutes max, $6 I think?) to Coochiemudlo Island, and I've heard the fishing there is great. But thats at Victoria Point so a bit of a drive from Northlakes.

Thanks JackieO. Our time is running out and we'll be heading back to Sydney early Monday morning. I was really hoping we'll get time to go to Moreton island but I think we'll have to give it a miss - at least until next time we visit Brsibane. At least we've done the trip now an it doesn't seem as daunting as I thought it would be. The 10+ hour drive from Sydney was actually not that bad. Anyway, hubby went to Bribie Island again yesterday and was able to catch 2 whitings. At least he can say he caught something.

• Like 1

so are you moving to Queensland? :D

Not sure yet Eva. Woke up last night from a panic attack about the possibility of moving to Brissie. I don't know if it will be the right or wrong thing for us. I really love Sydney and would stay probably if it wasn't for the unaffordability and too busy lifestyle. Brissie is definitely less hectic and access to the beaches are better and properties more affordable but it doesn't carry the same beauty as Sydney (in my opinion). In the end, if hubby is lucky enough to land a good paying job in Brisbane, then that will be the sign for me that we need to make our move from Sydney. I guess I'm just scared of the unknown and scared of starting from scratch again in a new place.

how can you possibly think you would be afraid of the unknown and starting again from scratch? you moved over to Aus, you must be able to cope with anything!!!!!

• Like 1

how can you possibly think you would be afraid of the unknown and starting again from scratch? you moved over to Aus, you must be able to cope with anything!!!!!

I now right? And when we came to Aus it was without having had the luxury of a LSD or knowing anyone here. Literally got thrown into the deep unknown here in Sydney, so I myself cannot understand my hesitation and fear to start over.

Maybe I'm just really tired (a rebellious teenage son can do that too you and make you age 10 years in one year) of moving and starting over. I have a great job (working for 2 of the best directors ever and a salary and perks that will be hard to find again) and it is not going to be easy to give that up. I guess that is why I'm waiting for the Lord to show me the way. I don't want to make the decision on my own. If hubby strikes it lucky with a better paying job and one that he'll know for sure he'll be happy at, then that will be my sign. He has not neen as lucky as I on the job front in Sydney and hasn't been able to get back into the job he used to love. An opportunity presented itself in Brisbane a couple of weeks ago and now we're just waiting on feedback. If that doesn't pan out, there are a couple more opportunities he can explore. So all will reveal itself in good time.

• Like 1

Not sure yet Eva. Woke up last night from a panic attack about the possibility of moving to Brissie. I don't know if it will be the right or wrong thing for us. I really love Sydney and would stay probably if it wasn't for the unaffordability and too busy lifestyle. Brissie is definitely less hectic and access to the beaches are better and properties more affordable but it doesn't carry the same beauty as Sydney (in my opinion). In the end, if hubby is lucky enough to land a good paying job in Brisbane, then that will be the sign for me that we need to make our move from Sydney. I guess I'm just scared of the unknown and scared of starting from scratch again in a new place.

Hi,

You should pm JuanitaS - they have to move from Brisbane to Sydney and they are also very anxious about having to go through everything again and starting in an unfamiliar place :blush: Perhaps you could have a chat with her about Brisbane/Sydney and how you are feeling?

Good luck if you are coming to Brisbane - it really is awesome here :ilikeit: :ilikeit: :ilikeit: Please let me know if I can help in any way.

Hi,

You should pm JuanitaS - they have to move from Brisbane to Sydney and they are also very anxious about having to go through everything again and starting in an unfamiliar place :blush: Perhaps you could have a chat with her about Brisbane/Sydney and how you are feeling?

Good luck if you are coming to Brisbane - it really is awesome here :ilikeit: :ilikeit: :ilikeit: Please let me know if I can help in any way.

I am again astonished at the help and friendly advice I get from people on this forum. :ilikeit: Thank you so much Lynnie and Eva and everyone else for helping me with this difficult decision. Being back in Sydney does not make it any easier because now I can actually see again why I'm here and what I'll have to give up if I do decide to move to Brisbane. Brisbane on the other hand has other things to offer like the possibility of owning our own home and the possibility that my hubby could finally find a job he loves. I'll be happy if my hubby is happy right? And hopefully I'll be happy in another job too - urgh, I'm really confused but then I think back to seeing my hubby yesterday on our way back to Sydney - we were basically about an hour from home when he started feeling anxious and was gripping the steering wheel so tight and breaking out in a sweat knowing he has to go back to that unhappy place he calls work the next day and I know that this is probably the best move for him.

I'll definitely contact JuanitaS - we can hopefully put each other's minds at rest as to an impending move to a new city.

It is never easy to relocate, especially if you are happy where you are.... BUT I can think of worse places than Brissie to relocate to (and I can think of none better, but that's just my opinion :whome: ).

If you do come to Brisbane, please do not hesitate to contact me for advice or anything - I'd love to help :ilikeit:

And thank you for contacting JuanitaS - it is really difficult for them as well (and me - she's my best friend :cry: )

Good luck :ilikeit: