Anyone moving to or currently living in Canberra?

CristinaGCoelho

Hello..

My name is Cristina and I am 25 years old. My fiance and I are in the process of applying to Canberra.. holding thumbs :D

Was wondering if anyone would like to connect? Its quite an emotionally draining process leaving everything you know and love for the unknown. Looking forward to hearing responses and making a few friends!

Thanks

We're in the same boat as you, my fiance and I are also currently in the process. At this stage just waiting for a case officer and the grant of our visa - the rest is done. And then Canberra probably at the end of next year.

It's daunting, stressful and definitely draining - but worth it. Good luck!

Welcome,

Many south Africans have arrived in Canberra in the last couple of years, and all are very accommodating, so please feel free to ask if you need help or advice or assistance.

I wish I had left RSA when I was 25. You guys have great future ahead of you.

All the best.

• Like 1

Welcome, same boat as you just as Lyn said, you guys are young so go for it, will see you there, ask if you need help......

hi

welcome to the forum. Our family of 4 will be arriving in Canberra 23 November this year. See you there!

hi welcome to the forum. Our family of 4 will be arriving in Canberra 23 November this year. See you there!

As soon as house Transfer is through we will book for 1 Nov, It should give us an easy transition in a festive time of the year I would imagine......

Welcome ! What area of jhb are you in? I'm keen to meet up. Other than the area you are going to in Aus it seems like we in very similar spaces in our lives. All the best!

Hello..

Thanks all for the responses! It’s both nerve wreaking and exciting. We
have currently submitted our Skills assessment to ACT and it’s been a month so
far of waiting eeek!!!

I live in the South - Oakdene and will be getting married on the 23rd November
and then I will be moving in with my fiancé in Fourways until we leave.

My sister immigrated to Aus about 4 years ago and they ended up in the
Gold Coast but we will be going to Canberra. It’s very scary, my biggest fear
is not making friends hahaha.. People say that Australians are unfriendly but
when I went to visit my sister in the Gold Coast I found them every warm so not
sure...

Its been quite a year trying going through this process and planning a wedding.. I also found that once we told people we were going they kinda have taken less interest in us but it might be the stress talking. Was wondering if anyone else experienced that. I did read that that is a coping mechanisim :( it doesnt make things easier..

Any how looking forward to hearing so good stuff about Canberra and Aus...

xx

• Like 1

Hi

PM me if you need a chat . We off to Canberra hopefully in a few weeks and can only say go for it!

Australians unfriendly ????? That's nonsense.

Of course you get the stuck up ones as you do everywhere in the world, but I have found them very welcoming and friendly. I moved to RSA in the late 70's - we never had the same welcome as we have had here.

I did learn tho that Aussies have a different sense of humour, they will take the "p... out of you", but its harmless banter. I actually prefer the way they say things as it is.

If you put yourself out there, do things with like minded people, I doubt you will battle to make good friends.

We're also on our way to Canberra. Well, busy applying anyway. Hoping to get here beginning 2014.

Good luck with it all.

Most of the Aussies are certainly friendly, humble and welcoming.

And always remember - they were there first !!!