Property Development, WA or NSW?

Simba

Having completed a limited number of property developments for myself, commercial & residential, and a few thousand units for clients (architect), what comment do members have, regarding WA versus Victoria, NSW?

What statutory limitations are placed on developers?

What is the possibility, that our blue chip clients in SA, may wish to invest in an Australian property vehicle, and what are the restrictions on moving investment cash?

Interested to hear what experience members may have had.

Regards,

Simba

• 8 months later...

Simba,

Unfortunately I won't be able to answer your question. We live in London (UK) at the moment and are thinking of relocating to Australia within the next 2 or 3 years.

Although I come from a finance background, I do have some experience with smaller residential developments in SA (Garden Route). But not nearly as much as you.

There are not many things in life that give you the same satisfaction as building a house. :ilikeit:

The last year or 2, I started thinking of setting up some sort of investment vehicle, where investors can buy into property investments mainly in Australia. But, to be honest, I'm not sure where to begin.

Don't you think a hedge fund might be something to consider? I have mainly commercial finance experience (not financial services) and am not sure about setting up such a fund or the legal requirements.

Sorry for not answering your questions. I got all excited when I saw your heading and there are not many posts about property developments on the forum.

Pieter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Simba / Pieter

I recently bought a property in Aus, through a developer who seemed to be targeting mostly SA investors - they handled all the legislative & other requirements for me, incl bond & bank account

So there are already people doing it, which proves that it can be done

Because my involvement was passive, I did not get involved in / to know, the legislative requirements on the aus side & can't help there

Cheers

Jan

Edited by JanCpt

Simba, the statute of limitations will differ from one state to the next. I don't know anything about your financial questions, but I would strongly suggest that you look into South Australia for development and investment opportunities. NSW and WA especially have experienced strong growth in the last few year and have pretty much reached the top of their market, with losses in property value starting to appear. South Australia is constantly being touted as the next big (and probably last) property investment / development boom in Australia. Prices are skyrocketing because interstate and overseas buyers are snapping up properties here while they are still affordable.

Guest Bronwyn

Hi Simba

I'm not sure whether you will have PR immediately or are going over on a temporary visa. If it's a temp visa, please read up all rules regarding property development on the FIRB site here:-

http://www.firb.gov.au/content/real_estate.asp

Regards, Bronwyn

BTW This thread might help. FAB was looking for the same sort of info during September last year and I tried to give him some usefull links, etc. Good luck!

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=6893&hl=

Edited by Bronwyn

• 3 months later...

Hi Simba

I am looking to get involved in the property industry in Aus once my visa gets approved. (application only went in last month), but I have been looking on the websites to determine prices and returns.

The indications I got so far is to stay away from residentual (from a ROI point of view). Prices are under pressure and to develope without proper knowledge/experience of the markets and best locations in Aus will be risky.

I am in property in SA as a owner of several industrial and other properties and have done small developments. My idea is to buy industrial/commercial land and to do a smaller development to start with. I know several people that want to invest in Aus property. The only way is to get money out is with the R2m per person allowance. I guess the real problem is to get much more out to start the business.

Regards

JvZ