choosing a suburb, views on Ryde

mountainman

Hi all

I'm working in Leichardt, was thinking of staying in the Frenchs Forest area but the commute is too much, hour and a half by bus.

Ryde has been suggested as an option, commute is less. Is anybody living there or nearby that could please give advice and views on the suburb or surrounding suburbs.

We're a couple with two boys, 5 and 7. Will probably have one car only.

Would like to rent in an area we could possibly buy in one day, if we can ever afford to.

What appealed to me about Frenchs Forest area is the proximity to nature reserves and beaches.

Regards

Bernard

In my opinion, I would not choose Ryde. Older type houses, tend to be smaller in room sizes and can be quite expensive. When we first searched for a place to settle down in, Ryde was on the top of our list. After only 2 house inspections and driving around the neighbourhood, it was no longer appealing. After almost living here for 5 years now and working in Chatswood (not far from Ryde) I haven't changed my mind. A colleague of mine actually want to move out of Ryde now because of it becoming too expensive.

This is just my view and might not be the same for others (disclaimer).

• Like 1

Thanks Heymanse, it's great to hear your experience

Edited by mountainman

Sydney, probably because unlike in RSA its city centre is still vibrant, has houses spanning hundreds of years old. If you are lucky enough to live in the centre you house might be 100+ years old, solid brick. We have lived in 3 of them, just wonderful. Then in the first layer of subburbs your house might be 60-70's. Its were we are now, interesting to live in, we happily live a barbie pink bathroom, original kitchen and asbestos in the walls. And then in the hills and far flung subburbs it will be "new" houses. If you like your area the house should not matter too much. I have always found the South African obsession with brand new houses odd. A RSA woman was telling me the other day that they lived in such a old house, turns out the thing was built in the 90's. Each to his own.

• Like 1

We live in Ryde. I think our rent is expensive but then most places are in Sydney...

What we like about where we live (on the edge of Ryde and Meadowbank) are the public transport connections. We live a 15 minute walk from Meadowbank station (2 minute bus ride but the bus only comes about once an hour) and 15 minute walk from Meadowbank wharf. Top Ryde Mall is just up the road and has excellent bus connections to the city etc (about every 10 minutes). Actually we have a bus stop across the road from us that goes into the city so that is good if you can time it right (goes once an hour).

We really like the suburb on the other side of us - Putney. I think the rent would be even more there but the houses are more modern looking. The downside of Putney is that it is further from the train station and some of the streets are quite hilly.

Good public schools in the area - Putney Primary and Ryde Primary get good reviews from playgroup moms.

Ryde is quite close to Lane Cove National Park...but it's a way to the beaches. To get to Bondi takes about 45 minutes, Newport beach about 35 minutes (depending on traffic but we have a toddler so we're often out before the traffic gets busy. Balmoral beach and Clontarf etc are probably also about 45 mins drive.

• Like 1

Thanks all for your views. It is ultimately a very personal decision and in the end you have to chose somewhere, right or wrong only time will tell, but it's good to hear what everyone thinks.

Today I came across http://walkscore.com, not sure how accurate is but it is an interesting site as you can see at glance how easily you can get around on foot in different suburbs. So it might be helpful to newbies trying to find a place to stay depending on your transport situation. it rates Ryde as very walkable with a walkscore of 71, meaning you can get to most places you need on foot, which matches what naomiwarr said about Ryde. I guess that is a very un-south african way of looking at things as most of us are used to driving where we need to go. Frenchs Forest is only somewhat walkable with a score of 54. Which is true as well.

Hi

I also work in Leichhardt, but live in Baulkham Hills. Leichhardt is difficult to reach by public transport. I drive into work and it takes about 45 min to an hour. If I had to take public transport it will take 1.5 hours at least on a good day. If you do not live in the inner west you will have a problem getting here. Even the people living in or near Bondi said it takes them an hour plus, that is by bus. So working in leichhardt it would be better to use your own transport. If driving is an option for you, you might consider other suburbs.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I agree with Dieter7. We also have a great public transport system in the Hills and often take the bus into the city on a weekend. And they are quite regular, at least one every 10 minutes and various routes travelling to Parramatta, Sydney CBD, Hornsby via Pennant Hills train station etc. I drive to work too, from Castle Hill to Chatswood is only a 40 minute drive in the morning and even less in the afternoon because of the widening of the M2 which is nearing its completion in the next couple of months. But all to his own, it is a very personal decision and it is good to get everyone's opinions so that you'll be able to make a better, more informed decision in the end.

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I personally would prefer North Ryde to Ryde if I was choosing myself. The housing is also newer. Do you want a house or a unit? If you open to a unit I would look at Macquarie Park. It all depends what you after.