Five Roses tea

ShannonE

So we are on our way to Brisbane, later this year....so i was wondering what tea is the equivalent to Five Roses....

I used to drink, Five Roses in RSA. Then I drank PG tips in the UK. Now I drink Lipton black tea. Dont no how far my taste buds have stayed off the original path, but this was their journey.

Tetleys work for me :-)

I must admit I used to miss five roses, when we first arrived, almost 8 months ago but have tried the various options here and I think I have forgotten about five roses.

Lipton,Tetley,Nerada

(As with rice, not sure if I remember what tactic tastes like now)

We drink Lipton's, it was the closest I could get to Five Roses. I'm surprised our local saffa shop doesn't stock Five Roses along with the Black Cat peanut butter, Zoo biscuits, Ouma's rusks and Fizz Pops.

A lot of Ozzie's seem to like Bushells.

With regard to RAD's comment regarding Tastic. Some Vietnamese friends educated me that most of the rice we eat is old and not very tasty. I queried their rice after eating at their house and the rice was so good. Anyway, apparently rice has a harvest date and the best rice is the rice from the current season. I now go to the Asian shops and pick up a 10kg bag of current season (ie 2013) Thai rice and then just store it in a number of air tight containers. It is quite delicious.

RAD, in the Box Hill Centro in the area where the fresh meat and fresh veg market is, there is a grocery shop that is linked to one of the fresh veg shops and they have a corner piled high with new season rice. If you are not sure which one to get just ask for 2013 season Thai rice - usually the bag is marked with the season.

Edited by Sunnyskies
  • Like 3

I brought several boxes in my luggage and declared it at customs!!! but, tetleys or lipton closest thing you'll get. So many taste changes (my rices is a disaster here!! I really miss tastic!!) here that you won't fuss too much once experiencing it all. Bovril and black cat i have bought at SA shop - R130 for bovril! they are no longer importing marmite due to some restriction!

Regarding rice - get a rice cooker!! I bought one for $10 at Aldi and it was one of the best things I ever bought - seriously!

Before I just couldn't get my rice right and most of the time it ended up mushy, but the rice cooker weighs it and cooks it for exactly the right time and then keeps it warm until you are ready to dish up. Much better...

Tea - in the UK I developed a taste for English tea (for some reason while I was pregnant a cup of hot, sweet, milky tea soothed my nausea) and the best tea here is Dilmah - love it.

Great, thanks for all the response to my question about 5 Roses....next question can one buy a biltong maker in Oz

Regarding rice - get a rice cooker!! I bought one for $10 at Aldi and it was one of the best things I ever bought - seriously!

Before I just couldn't get my rice right and most of the time it ended up mushy, but the rice cooker weighs it and cooks it for exactly the right time and then keeps it warm until you are ready to dish up. Much better...

Totally agree - don't know I survived without one for all those years.

Great, thanks for all the response to my question about 5 Roses....next question can one buy a biltong maker in Oz

search for biltong maker there was a thread on how to make one about 6 months ago.
  • Like 1

Hi sunny skies, will do thanks ...cold, wet and windy here in Paarl today.

I brought several boxes in my luggage and declared it at customs!!! but, tetleys or lipton closest thing you'll get. So many taste changes (my rices is a disaster here!! I really miss tastic!!) here that you won't fuss too much once experiencing it all. Bovril and black cat i have bought at SA shop - R130 for bovril! they are no longer importing marmite due to some restriction!

They sell bovril at Coles or Woolies for about $3 00 - they sell them in the gravy section and its no different

The Coles in Brisbane sells Five Roses Tea. There are a few South African items you can buy in the International Foods section.

Edited by Barbara1

At least one Coles in Melbourne sells 5 Roses (and quite a range of RSA products) in their imported section, plus the South African shops stock it.