Excess baggage company vs Move cube?

sammyjo

Hi folks!

Well I'm still puzzling over shipping!

I emailed an excess baggage company and they say they charge r50.45 per kg of goods (under 100kg) and r45.50 (over 100kg) to ship from Johannesburg airport to Brisbane airport. It takes 7 days or so to arrive. There's a r350 documentation fee. They also say there are fees like airline handling fees and AQIS fees to pay on other end in vicinity of $300... This seems heaps better than the move cube / sending boxes with seven seas option because it's so quick.

What do you guys think? Is it too good to be true? What's the catch? Advice please I'm so confused!

Have a great holiday and drive safe folks.

Sammyjo

Hi Sammyjo, Im in the same boat

Im at a complete loss as to what to take. On the one hand, I do have furniture that I feel sentimental about, and beds and things, whihc will warrant a 20ft container, but im loathe to pay that kind of money

the movecube seemed a good option, even if you take 2 cubes, its still around R 24 000 for the 2 than R 70 000 for the container!

A friend told me to send the kids' stuff in boxes ahead of time so that they have something familiar when they arrive......

If I tally all the costs you mentioned for a box, it seems movecube is cheaper? But we should maybe get an exact answer from someone......Im just guessing :)

When are you leaving?

Im going to think it over too!

I think the biggest difference is the weight issue. with move cube, there are no weight limits, only size, so you can cram a lot of stuff into the container. With excess baggage its all about the weight, so it could get unexpectedly costly. Might be an idea to use both ie the stuff you really need as you arrive (toys, bedding, pots) vs the furniture, garden things, and family photos which are nice but you dont need immediately.

They dont seem to say on their website, but I would guess that there is a limit to the size of big items of furniture they can fit on a plane?

The fees Samm mentions are paid on the Oz side regardless of the method of transport.

At the moment, im keen for Move Cube as we have family there that could support us, so we dont need immediate access to the stuff we have in the container

Hi Sammyjo, Im in the same boat

Im at a complete loss as to what to take. On the one hand, I do have furniture that I feel sentimental about, and beds and things, whihc will warrant a 20ft container, but im loathe to pay that kind of money

the movecube seemed a good option, even if you take 2 cubes, its still around R 24 000 for the 2 than R 70 000 for the container!

A friend told me to send the kids' stuff in boxes ahead of time so that they have something familiar when they arrive......

If I tally all the costs you mentioned for a box, it seems movecube is cheaper? But we should maybe get an exact answer from someone......Im just guessing :)

When are you leaving?

The only problem with the cubes are that even the biggest one is not that big. Doubt if you will fit a double bed in there. Has anyone used it? What did you take in it?

The measurements of the movecube is

Large:
Height 1.88m Width 1.45m
Length 2.27m Volume 6.20m³

my queen size bed in length is 195cm so I think it should fit? The biggest items we have is the bed and our TV cabinet which is smaller than the bed. the rest can be fit into boxes

my other question to any movecubers out there - does it stay uprigth because if I have to pack it myself it will obviously not be as tight as the way packers do and if they turn it upside down things will break.....

my other question to any movecubers out there - does it stay uprigth because if I have to pack it myself it will obviously not be as tight as the way packers do and if they turn it upside down things will break.....

We moved with Seven Seas, before the move cube days. We sent 15 boxes and a dismantled queen bed (without mattess).

@Toitjie, I did not use a stitch of bubble wrap and had zero breakages (even though I moved with my purfume bottle collection, vases, serving dishes, plates, small statues and many paintings). Its all in the packing. I wrapped every breakable item in cloth (socks, clothes, towels, bedding, tea towels, table cloths, throws, etc). I even took the innards out of my scatter cushions and brought the covers. I ended up being able to bring so much of our beloved home items. I brought my great Brabantia pot set from Boardmans, but every pot was stuffed with purfume bottles (wrapped in socks or the like), I took masking tape and taped each pot lid onto its matching pot. So, even if the pot was dropped, the pot and contents would survive the move. You will be more in danger of breakages if you pack too loosly and the items bang into one another. I bought a, not too expensive, pine chest (like the wagon kist type with hinged lid) and packed it to the brim with my Vilroy and Boch dinner set (all wrapped it clothes). I then stuffed clothes and shoes around the sides and in any gap I could find. Dont laugh, it worked! Happy packing.

• Like 2

We are leaving on April 29th.

I'm going to start packing this week and when we have an idea of how much stuff we want to take we can make a decision. Don't think we will take any furniture but might take our TV.

Bit worried about the TV getting broken in excess luggage? The company said they can pack it for us for a cost of r950 for a special crate.

Will umm and Ahh some more.

Sammyjo

We were planning on shipping stuff over that we would need until our container arrived with SAA Cargo which sounds very similar to what you want to do until we discovered that we could replace everything in the planned shipment this side at K-Mart for the same price. Unless you are bringing large items that need a move cube or container, I would look ate K-Mart's site and compare the cost of replacement with the cost of shipping the stuff over.

• Like 1

hello guys....

what is a move cube? i dont have alot of stuff to take over so even a 20ft would be and over kill........also it cost R52000.

so this move cube thing sounds awesome

my main stuff to take over are my sons toys s you guys have mentions and my tools which i need for work. i got a quote of R9500 just to ship over the two tool boxes approx 1.2 x 0.5 x 0.75m each

tanx

The website for movecube is

http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/shipping/movecube

"The MoveCube is a large, sturdy shipping container, designed for international and domestic moves, that we bring to your door inside a trailer. We leave the trailer with you, you fill the MoveCube and we’ll pick it up to take it to its final destination."

Its sturdier than boxes and the largest one is around 6 cubic metres, but there are smaller ones.

Dimensions of MoveCubes:

Small:
Height 1.88m

Width 1.11m
Length 0.96m

Volume 2m³

Medium:
Height 1.88m

Width 1.45m
Length 1.11m

Volume 3m³

Large:
Height 1.88m

Width 1.45m
Length 2.27m

Volume 6.20m³

We are leaving on April 29th.

I'm going to start packing this week and when we have an idea of how much stuff we want to take we can make a decision. Don't think we will take any furniture but might take our TV.

Bit worried about the TV getting broken in excess luggage? The company said they can pack it for us for a cost of r950 for a special crate.

Will umm and Ahh some more.

Sammyjo

I wouldnt bring your TV - sell it there rather - TV's are really cheap here and a lot of people that have brought theirs over have had a problem with them not working

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the info!

It's done. Decision made. Going home with my suitcases and that's it! Whatever I can see fit will come. Whatever else - tough luck.

Anyone want to buy my car and TV? ;)

Cheers

Sammyjo

My second movecube arrived today, I will recommend the movecube to anyone who is not scared of some hard work,

I packaged all my stuff then packed it myself into the cube, and when they arrive you know exactly what is inside because you packed and itemized everything, I still have some furniture in my house in South Africa it is cheaper for me to get another 2 move cubes to bring the rest over to Australia. Www.sevenseas.com

• Like 1

@ShazPas - thanks for the comment. I am planning on using a move cube however I am immigrating alone and am concerned about carrying boxes on the other side. It is my understanding that they literally deliver the cube to you at your rental and it is up to me to unpack it? Is that correct? I am trying to pack everything into smallish boxes that I can carry on my own but I certainly would not be able to manage a bed or the like by myself - not that it's a crisis as I am not keen on bringing any furniture over anyway.

@Shaz, we have also considered a second move cube. How did you organise this? did you ask for one, filled it then asked for a second separately, or did you just get both at the same time. I want to have the option of getting a second if necessary. If you get two at different times(ie call them at the end of the day and ask for a second), are you likely to receive them at approx the same time?

When I spoke to Movecube they said you can order as many as you like but they will be sent and delivered separately. I can't remember what the reason was that they can't send 2 at the same time.

they also say on the website that you can have as many boxes as you like, and its free

but what do I have to do to get the boxes now? I want to start packing but only want the movecube in August

Oh man. All you move cubers have me thinking again! I don't really have furniture I want to take just tupperware, pots and pans, other household random stuff.

Are there additional costs such as AQIS fees etc in addition to the price you get quoted on the seven seas website for the move cube? Considering the small one... Maybe. Omg. I'm so confused!

Sammyjo

• Like 1

Right, I had ordered 1 move cube and after packing it full I needed another one which I ordered straight after the full one left my house first one came on the 3 Dec 2012, second one came 1 week later which gave me just enough time for packaging and labeling and doing an itemized list, the first move cube arrived in Canberra ACT on the 28th Feb 2013 it was delayed because of rough seas,second move cube arrived on the 3 April 2013, which I did delayed abit because I needed my husband to arrive in Australia to help unpack.

You can use any boxes shapes and sizes to pack your stuff, I used a lot of storage/toy boxes clear if possible so you can see what you have packed and in case customs check it is easier, I vacuum sealed all my linen/towels/clothes/shoes you can pack so much more in the cube when everything is shrink wrapped. The reason why they only do one cube at a time is because it is a new service and they only have one van with a trailer, they will arrive and wait for you to pack the cube then they seal it in front of you they give you about 1 hour to pack so you will need to know exactly how all your stuff will go in. I mapped out the size of the cube in my garage and then packed everything in the area to make sure I used every inch. I used 2 large move cubes 6m2 customs charged me $349 per large cube and I paid R 11 200 per large cube from Durban to Canberra ACT, this includes 4 weeks free storage on either side.

Please ask me more questions I have photos if anyone wants me to send I can

• Like 2

Thanks ShazPas! If you could send me photo's that would be great! Also were you able to or did you get a bed in the movecube? I have heard that beds are quite expensive in Oz and we bought new beds in Dec.

I emailed them last night and they responded quickly. It seems I was mistaken, the boxes are not free :(

they supply free of charge a roll of tape and a marker pen but the boxes you rent from them. They say they are very sturdy boxes so Im thinking of getting a few. If you damage one it will cost you R 75 per box.

I have been trying to find out what the cost is to "rent" the boxes but so far they keep on misunderstanding me. It does seem like a good service .I have to pay R 1800 non-refundable deposit which will be subtracted from the final price before they will deliver the boxes

Shaz - you had way to much energy, just thinking that I must first pack everything in the garage in a shape the size of the cube makes me tired! But its a brilliant idea, I just dont know if I have the energy...

what the email did say was that they will give me 3-4 hours to pack. That is a bit better than 1 hour but still its very short, everything has to be ready!

My first cube I sent, small fridge/freezer, double bed mattress / industrial tumble dryer / 13kg top loader washing machine / 42" LCD TV/

All our clothes , linen, shoes / 27" iMac / 3 x 23" LCD computer screens and 1 x pc / and a lot of different size boxes with kids gaming consoles with controls and all there games about 50 games.

Second cube, double bed base / queen base and mattress / 2 x leather couches (one 3 seat and one 2 seat) mountain bike, 6 bed side tables / I flat packed 2 office desks / more boxes and storage boxes with kitchen stuff.

Like I said it is a lot of hard work but after speaking to the other South Africans here in Canberra who landed round the same time as me I think it was worth it, everything has run smoothly no extra costs ( remember I had 2 separate cubes sent, received same service both times ) and nothing stolen or delayed, I only lost 2 glass cooking bowels, but I think I packed them to tight did not allow any movement in the box, my one computer screen has a ding on the side but working 100%, everything else perfect.

It is very expensive here to replace furniture to put yourself back in the same position you were in South Africa, we did not know our Visa would come through when it did so we had upgraded most of our furniture that is why I am going back to SA sometime this year to send another 2 cubes with the balance of our house furniture, just need to find a bigger rental to accomadate.

a very nice lady phoned me just now from the UK because they dont understand my request :) I keep on saying "boxes" but they thought I was talking about the cube (which is a wooden box according to her)

after some explaining she understood what I meant - the cardboard boxes to pack your stuff in, i wanted those prices, so she sent me this list.

post-12833-0-42920200-1365083117_thumb.j

• Like 1

My energy was, yay..... Getting my kids out of here to safety....... Just needed it to get done......... We even left our business and our house, will sort that out later.......needed to get to Australia after the 5 year wait for the Visas to come through.

• Like 1