Subclass 190 visa application

Errol357

Hi guys,

I have a couple of questions regarding state nomination applications and SkillSelect...

I am applying to the NSW next week for state nomination, and according to The Trade and Invest website,

http://www.business.nsw.gov.au/live-and-work-in-nsw/visa-and-migration/skilled-sponsored-migration

"...Register on SkillSelect

You must advise us of your DIAC SkillSelect EOI Reference Number within 90 calendar days from the date of your nomination or your nomination will lapse...."

To my understanding - I can apply for nomination without an EOI number, and after I receive the nomination approval, register on SkillSelect. Is this correct?

And if that is not the case, and I have to register on SkillSelect before submitting the state nomination application, will I be issued an EOI number before payment is made, or do I need to make payment in order to receive an EOI number?

Much appreciated guys!

The last time I checked you could register on SkillSelect free of charge. You do not have to wait for the state sponsorship to come through before you register, you can register at any time. Once you have created the EOI you can fill in all the information you have and save the EOI without submitting it and go back to it at any time to update the information.

If you have all the necessary documentation like your IELTS test report form and your skills assessment result and reference number then you can fill the EOI in save and submit it. Just make sure that you don't claim for points that you cannot prove. A common mistake that people make on the EOI is claiming points for an Australian qualification assuming that the skills assessment is the equivalent of an Australian qualification, it isn't. To claim points for that you need to have studied a degree at an Australian university.

P.S. The EOI number is issued as soon as you are finished registering and that is what you will use to login into SkillSelect.

Thanks for pointing this one out!

I am looking at page 24 of Booklet 6 right now;

So the excerpt below does not apply,

"...You have met the requirements for award of at least a:
• bachelor degree, by an Australian educational institution; or
• bachelor qualification, awarded by an overseas educational institution of a recognised standard - 15 POINTS..."

And this one does;

"...You have attained a qualification or award recognised by the relevant assessing authority in determining your skills for your nominated occupation - 10 POINTS..."

Is this right?

In the former, "...bachelor qualification, awarded by an overseas educational institution of a recognised standard..." is quite misleading...

So this is what SD_MOA was referring to in http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php/topic/38062-nb-double-check-your-eoi-points-claimed/

That's correct, the second statement would apply to you if you have had your skills assessed and this is pretty much what Stephen Dickson was referring to.

I have noticed and a couple of people have commented on the fact that for Afrikaans people who don't speak or understand English too well they struggle with this one because of the wording. I'm English and I had to read those statements at least five times before I was sure which one I had to choose.

The thing with filling in the EOI is to be honest and conservative. If you claim 8 years work experience you need to be able to back that claim with sufficient evidence of more than one kind. Pay slips, bank statements and IRP5's as well as letters of reference and certificates of service, the more evidence you provide to back your claims the better. You also need to make sure that everything coincides and that all your dates are correct and that you account for any periods of unemployment. It's a lot of work but it's worth it in the end.

The bottom line here is be honest and don't claim anything you can't prove.

Hi there. We applied for state sponsorship, and according to me, you have to submit the EOI first and on the same day submit your state sponsorship application as well.

The state that you are applying with neeeds to see the information on your EOI and they need access to it through the EOI number because once your sponsorship is approved and you have signed the sponsorship agreement (which they will send you if it is approved), you will automatically receive an invite to apply for the visa through Skillselect.

So make sure all info is correct and 100% in order on the EOI before submitting state sponsorship application.

We currently have WA sponsorship. Shout if you need anymore help or have any questions.

Yes as everyone has mentioned, you should submit your EOI before applying for state sponsorship, and there is no charge for the EOI. It is valid for 2 years, so you do not necessarily have to apply for state sponsorship on the same day as submitting your EOI.

For any EOI submissions where you require sponsorship of some sort before you receive an invitation to apply for the visa, you can make changes to your EOI after you've submitted it. Perhaps have Stephen or another agent double check your points claimed in relation to your proof/evidence thereof. But this should be done before you apply for the state sponsorship, as they will refer to your EOI when assessing your state sponsorship applicaiton. An agent will charge a fee to assist with this, but in my opinion it's worth every cent. There is someone on this forum who had to withdraw their visa application and they're waiting to hear if they'll get their money back because they thought their skills assessment was automatically assessed as the equivalent of an Australian qualification and it wasn't, so they claimed points for their skill when it wasn't actually valid.

If your skill is also on SOL1 and you are eligible for the 189 visa as well, you will need to make sure your EOI is 100% correct and true at the time of submitting it, because you can receive an invite any time after that and you don't want anything to be incorrect.

Edited by sianvz