Living in Sunshine Coast QLD?

OnYellowBrickRd

Right, here I go again. Do any of you live in the Sunshine Coast? I need the good, the bad and the ugly.

See, the thing is, we will arrive so close to the start of the 2nd school term (in which our little girl has to start school, not even mentioning enrolling her first). We are therefore pressed for time and will not be able to do too much sightseeing and need to sort of narrow it down before we land.

Eish, this is starting to become quite stressful.

Don't worry too much about school, if she misses a week or two at the start of term it won't be a huge thing. I really wish there were some people living in the Sunshine Coast or Hervey Bay that could give you helpful advice.

To try and give some perspective, asking for information about both places from people who live here is highly subjective, it's like asking about Port Elizabeth and Richards Bay, those who live in either will " vote" for their town, but it is you who are going to live there and try to find work etc.

I know the budget is probably very tight but you may land and start somewhere and then move elsewhere once you have a feel for the country and work opportunities, so again you may just have to take the leap of faith and then sort yourself out once here.

For me it would be about getting work first and then with the luxury of a salary you can start to look at where you would " like" to live, rather than where you have to live. Many of us have moved 2 or 3 times until we have settled somewhere.

When I think of Hervey Bay or Sunshine Coast, I think " holiday", and would assume that a lot of the work will be hospitality orientated.

I hope that you get some solid and accurate advice from people who live in either place.

Do you have any experience teaching the humanities?

I see Sunshine Coast Grammar School has a vacancy for an English and Humanities teacher. http://www.scgs.qld.edu.au/about_us/employment_detail.php

It's only a short distance to the beach: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=sunshine+coast+grammar+school&safe=active&ie=UTF-8&ei=g8cmUfutM6KLmwWewoCwAQ&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAg

And has reasonably affordable houses: http://www.realestate.com.au/buy/property-house-with-3-bedrooms-in-forest+glen%2c+qld+4556%3b+/list-1?maxBeds=any&activeSort=price-asc&source=location-search

Hope you guy come right.

Only been on holiday along the Sunshine Coast, it is really lovely. Friends of ours who moved here 5 years ago moved to the Gold Coast and have said if they did it all again they would have rather gone to the Sunshine Coast. I love Noosa, Maroochydore is lovely too. Actually, I think I would live happily anywhere on the Sunshine Coast. Good luck....

I would settle for anywhere that has beaches and a good school. We kinda sold the idea of moving to Australia to our 5 year old daughter by asking her if she wants to live by the sea. She loves the sea when we go on holiday and playing in God's sandpit for her is the best thing ever. Little did we know that this marketing and sales tactic may just end up biting us in the butts. :P

We recently spent 2 years in Noosa after 4 years living in WA. We absolutely loved it! It is like being on holiday every single day! We are in Cape Town to sell our hotel but hope to be back there later this year. Our twin boys attended the Good Shepherd Lutheran College and just want to get back there! The only problem with the Sunshine Coast is that work is scarce so make sure you can generate an income to support the family. After living in many places we believe it is the best place if you value quality of life more than financial gain. Even the weather is great appart for a few wild wet days in the year! Hope to see you there soon - good luck!

Sunshine Coast is great. My aunt has lived there for 20 years and love it. Pretty beaches, laid back - kinda like the South Coast in KZN...

I have a unit on the Sunshine coast, on the border of Maroochydore and Alexandra Headland...loved it there, we spent 5 months there before we moved back to Emerald...work was a problem...good luck..

• 1 year later...

This seem like an old post, but can I try to reinvigorate it again?

My family and I is moving to Sunshine Coast Jan 2015. How much time do we need to look for a house in advance?

• Like 1

This seem like an old post, but can I try to reinvigorate it again?

My family and I is moving to Sunshine Coast Jan 2015. How much time do we need to look for a house in advance?

This is an old post and I'm sure OnYellowBrickRd is going to have a good chuckle when she re-reads it because I believe they are extremely happy & settled in already on the Sunny Coast :) Edited by Bronwyn&Co
  • Like 1

Hi FrancoisYvette

In my opinion it is easy to find a house on the Sunshine Coast. It took us about a week to secure a rental (okay, we did pay 6 months rent in advance and had all the paperwork completed at the viewing, complete with intro letter and all). There are heaps of rentals everywhere every week. If you do your homework I feel it's very possible to secure a rental within a month after arriving. Where are you planning to go?

Edited by OnYellowBrickRd
  • Like 1

Thank you very much for your response.

I will be working close to the University. We have two kids in primary school (age 8 and 10) and were thinking about these suburbs based on school rankings and distance to the office.

Suburb:
Chevallum
Currimundi
Woombye
Currimundi
Buderim
Golden Beach
Buddina
Glenview
Palmwoods

• 2 months later...

The above list has changed.... :-)

It seems like it will be Brightwater, Mountain Creek.

I hope this will be ok.

The area is very nice and brand new (There were only a few houses in Brightwater when we arrived last year, but they spring up like toadstools in Aus!). The primary school is good too and I believe it is zoned, meaning you would have to live in Brightwater.

Contact us when you arrive for a coffee if you want any advice or just a good chat with people who have been through the worst and are still standing :ilikeit:

• Like 1