Durbanites coming to Brisbane

Tati1

Hi all, great to have such a friendly community!

We're moving to Brisbane this year from the Karoo. My father starts work early Sept in the CBD, so I will go ahead with him to scout around for good living areas, as the rest of the family will leave SA mid Sept.

Looking forward to it!

Yay my visa granted 5 July and flights booked for 1 August, I waited for this visa for 3 and a half years with such passion and now suddenly I am panic struck LOL.... I am going to Toowoomba initially for a week to catch my breathe (have a cousin in Toowoomba) and then have to start looking for work and accommodation in Brisbane.

What I wanted to ask here is if you or anyone would know of places that are good to hire for short periods of time, where there are good public transport facilities and obviously safe enough surrounding area. Just names would be good, I can do the rest of the research. I was figuring that I may from time to time commute between Toowoomba and Brisbane to start and could possible need a few days here and there stay in Brisbane. Perhaps not required but nice to know if need be. I have a son who lives in a digs until Jan, but no space for me there :)

I've booked the Kookaburra Inn, in Spring Hill as it was the lowest price I could find, and they have a good rating on TripAdvisor. Also within walking distance of trains. You may want to have a look: http://kookaburra-inn.com.au/

• Like 1

Hi all, great to have such a friendly community!

We're moving to Brisbane this year from the Karoo. My father starts work early Sept in the CBD, so I will go ahead with him to scout around for good living areas, as the rest of the family will leave SA mid Sept.

Looking forward to it!

I've booked the Kookaburra Inn, in Spring Hill as it was the lowest price I could find, and they have a good rating on TripAdvisor. Also within walking distance of trains. You may want to have a look: http://kookaburra-inn.com.au/

Thank you for the info on Kookaburra, looks good and may be just what I need :) Should I take up a few days there, will give some feedback. All the best with your move across.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the info on Kookaburra, looks good and may be just what I need :) Should I take up a few days there, will give some feedback. All the best with your move across.

Glad to help :)

Thinking of you flying today, hope you have a pleasant trip. We fly the end of this month, can't believe it is all happening!

Look forward to hearing feedback on the Inn

Edited by Droeworsand5Roses

Glad to help :)

Thinking of you flying today, hope you have a pleasant trip. We fly the end of this month, can't believe it is all happening!

Look forward to hearing feedback on the Inn

Thank you so much :) I arrived safe and sound night of 2 Aug, had no sleep for 37 hours straight because I can just never sleep in an aeroplane and since then I have also been battling jetlag. The reunion with my son was the greatest moment for me, have not seen him in the flesh for 2 and a half years, what a huge relief to finally be together in the same country again. We are both so very happy :)

A few of our plans are changing here and there, my son is pressing me for a rental sooner rather than later as he will be giving up his digs, so in the next few days we will be able to figure out if I need to visit Brisbane and if it would require overnight stay. Since arriving I have had several offers to stay over which I am considering but Kookaburra has not been ruled out.

All the best for your flight over and the few weeks you have left. I found the final few weeks in RSA extremely busy and if at all possible my advise would be that you aim to complete everything by at least 5 days before you leave. You need a bit of time to relax and get your thoughts together.

Thought I would share this with you: I took an SAA flight to Perth, went through security etc. and at the gate before boarding our carry on bags were checked. This does not always happen but thought I would warn you before hand so that you can be ready for the possibility. They were in particular checking for zip lock bags and that all rules pertaining to them were being followed. I was quite surprised to see how many people never followed the rules, no zip lock bags at all for one???. Many items were also being confiscated due to them being over the limits, not only per item but too many items as well. Others were pointed to a shop that sells zip lock bags, but warning with this, they retain the items they find in your bag until you return with the zip lock bag. A few people did not have cash to purchase a zip lock bag and had to have all their items confiscated. Thank goodness I am a follower of rules as I had no problems.

• 4 months later...

WOW! I absolutely love the fact that everyone on this forum is so helpful and and kind. My husband and I leave our little town of Amanzimtoti and arrive in Brisbane 31st December 2013. In just a few days our great big adventure begins. Having this forum makes it a little less scary. Knowing we can ask any question (even if it seems silly) helps a lot. We have accommodation booked for the first 7 days and within those few days we will try to secure a place to rent. We are both jobless so will be looking for jobs as well.

We would love to meet and get advice from any of you lovely folk.

Be blessed!

• Like 4

Hi JessieRyan

Keep an eye on the communities and Brisbane/Gold Coast sections of the forum, as we do have some coffee clubs occasionally.

Unfortunately I think you may be a bit jetlagged on the 1st Jan to join us on the Gold Coast, but if you need anything, or are coming to gold coast to visit, then give me a shout!

Have a great Christmas with your family, and a good flight

Hi Jessie,

I am back in Brisbane on the 6th for work training, leaving my family in Perth ...if you wanna catch up and need to know more about Brisbane give me a shout. I stayed there for about 10 months. What area will you be staying in? PM me if you like.

May