Business Concepts

Guest May

Been in Brisbane for 3 weeks now and there is not much on SEEK for office work...do you perhaps have any ideas about what would work well here? Small business to run from home, not too many rules and regulations and not much capital outlay.

May, you are in a dreamworld, this is Australia, we are made up of many rules and regulations...and then some more....that is why things work here!

Sorry, cannot give you any ideas, as I do not live in Brisbane.

Have you considered going to Sydney with hubby? You could even stay up or down the coast, the travel would be much cheaper than hubby having to fly between Brisbane and Sydney and there may even be more work opportunities for you.

Don't you agree with the thinking that one should dream until you die? I have my radar out there at least, flat is clean, kids at school, hubby at work, resume out there, networking alive and looking at courses, so now just patiently wait for the nibble at the end of the rod. Our friends have made it here in both work and business in Brisbane so there is hope that queenslanders will give South Afircans a chance, all our journeys are different. Maybe we will have a different conversation in 8 months time when I fnd myself in Sydney, I just struggle to be idle.

I agree, dreams are what life is made of!

If you find it hard to be idle, perhaps consider offering your time to a good cause and do some volunteer work. You will be amazed how employers think highly of people who have done that. At least it will keep you out of mischief, whilst you wait for that first job!

How computer literate are you? I think there is huge potential for selling something on the internet and using the effective Australian post for your deliveries. Find something that you could import in bulk from the USA and resell it in Australia.

I think of the young chap who was frustrated with the astronomical cost of HDMI cables in Australia - HN was selling them at $80 at one point. Cheapish plastic ones were selling at BW for $20-30 a set. He imported the parts and assembled them himself, and sold them on the internet for a quarter of the price of local retailers. He is making a bomb. http://www.ezyhd-cables.com.au/ They are seriously high quality.

Anyway point is, find something you can sell online and post to people. But you need a single, small, easy, in demand, product. How about Gem squash?