Blackberry phone problems

g cant wait

Has anybody with a SA blackberry managed to get BIS in Oz with their network sim cards?

The thing is our son(18yr old) has arrived in Canberra and ended up buying an "amaysin card", $40, with uncapped national calls and texting and 4 gig, 4G, data. Now the idea with the data was for the Samsung tablet that we bought here for him before he left for skype and all those things...

So now it seems that the Oz networks do not support berries from another country?

1) Does someone have any info on this?

2) He wants to buy a new phone for now and is opting for the samsung note 2 or S3. :unsure: (these are $800 phones?).

Any suggestions?

Telstra sim works,but reception crap,also BB has a bad rep here in Oz,thats why most use Iphones.

Blackberry sums up the problem in a nutshell, I have one and I'm forever fighting with it when it does work. Whatsapp, Google chat or any other chat software works better than BBM :thumbdown: most of the time.

• Like 1

Jip, another vote for WhatsApp. For people used to BBM the only thing missing is the small "R" status change when a message is read.

Edited by JJV

I have a Samsung Galaxy 3 and have found it to be great. Also had an i-phone (supplied by work) and gave it back, as I prefer to use my Samsung.

• Like 1

My whole family used BB on arrival in Australia. We used Crazy Johns as it was the quickest and cheapest option to get our phones up and running within a few hours. Crazy Johns is however closing and Vodafone will be servicing all their contracts from now on. BIS from Crazy Johns is only $26 for 6 months. It's the cheapest option but is only available until 20 Feb. I now have an iPhone and a BB for staying on contact with friends in SA. By the way JJV, it's not the read symbol that makes it so popular, it's the status updates.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a $35 a month contract for my BlackBerry (SA Blackberry) from Vodafone. Unlimited BIS and texting.

Hi sharon, do you know whether vodafone will honour the BIS also?

I went to Vodafone last week and they dont offer BIS, they mentioned crazy johns but said thats closing down and wont help me?

Vodafone will honour all existing Crazy Johns contracts and payg. They only close on about 20 Feb so buy the 6 month Bis from them now and you will have no problem. You can do it online too. You will also need to top up $15 per month to keep the service.

Look for a Samsung online. I got a brand new, sealed, 32GB Galaxy SIII with an extra 32GB SD card for R4250 delivered to my door which I won on an auction.

Put your Blackberry in the bin or use it as a projectile.

Look for a Samsung online. I got a brand new, sealed, 32GB Galaxy SIII with an extra 32GB SD card for R4250 delivered to my door which I won on an auction.

Put your Blackberry in the bin or use it as a projectile.

For now I have a contract to finish up but when we get to Australia it will be either an iPhone or Galaxy. :ilikeit: Boo for cr@pberry. :thumbdown:

For now I have a contract to finish up but when we get to Australia it will be either an iPhone or Galaxy. :ilikeit: Boo for cr@pberry. :thumbdown:

iPhone - the fashion statement

Android - the intelligent choice/tech-head

Blackberry - the uniformed die-hard

Nokia - is your 3310 still working?

Edited by AlBrough
  • Like 1

Hey don't knock the 3310, :ilikeit: I had one up until about 2 years ago that still functioned perfectly and gave it to one of the workers on the farm (who managed to destroy it by dropping it in water) :angry2:

Hey don't knock the 3310, :ilikeit: I had one up until about 2 years ago that still functioned perfectly and gave it to one of the workers on the farm (who managed to destroy it by dropping it in water) :angry2:

It was one of the few phones that actually lasted. Mine was eventually stolen, after being dropped in the pool, being washed more than 3 times and spent a night on the floor of a club... It still worked :)

Any idea how much data you need to make regular viber calls say at least once a day? I use viber, but I pick it up on my WiFi and not mobile network.

Any idea how much data you need to make regular viber calls say at least once a day? I use viber, but I pick it up on my WiFi and not mobile network.

How long do you want to talk for? What I have worked out it is about 200kB per minute.

An update. I went yesterday to renew my sons BIS but Crazy Johns have already stopped selling them.

Hi Sharon, I went on Thursday and managed to get a blackberry prepaid sim for 6 months. They told me i can extend that for another 6 months online for $24.99 before the 20th Feb.

I havent done this yet but maybe worth a try.