Advice for the IELTS by an IELTS teacher

luckytobehere

Then all I need are my Skills assessment results, and we are good to go. Just in time! (5 months left on 457...) Man I'm getting excited.

• Like 1

Hahaah,

Delusions of grandeur indeed.

Got an average of 8. Reading dipped to 7.5. 9s for the rest. Back to the drawing board you go.

Hahaah,

Delusions of grandeur indeed.

Got an average of 8. Reading dipped to 7.5. 9s for the rest. Back to the drawing board you go.

Hey SurferMan,

Sorry to hear that. I also fell short in the reading but only needed the minimum, thank goodness.

Money making racketeers if you ask me.

Does this mean you have to rewrite?

Edited by PARKS
  • Like 2

Hey SurferMan,

Sorry to hear that. I also fell short in the reading but only needed the minimum, thank goodness.

Money making racketeers if you ask me.

Does this mean you have to rewrite?

Yes I need the 20 points for the max EOI hit. I still cannot fathom how I got 7.5 for reading, my reading is excellent, and I had time to double check all my answers. I am considering asking for a remark, but am told stridently this is not worth it. Considering the remark cost is over half the course cost I may as well just sit the silly test again. All 9s this time.

I've heard that the only one worth asking for a remark is the writing.

As I posted before: they are VERY specific about what answers they want in the reading. My sister did some sample tests where the answers were provided. The answer to a question was eight o'clock. They wanted a two word answer and my sister wrote 8:00. She was marked incorrect because they wanted 8 am!! That's how particular the testing is and is why many don't get the marks they deserve and why preparation is soooo important (even for first language speakers who don't think prep would be necessary).

• Like 1

Hi Crisplet,

Yes I fully agree. However I did read super carefully and complied precisely with what was required. Eg. In three words and or numbers describe xxx. I did so. But I hear you on the chances of a band change being slim. I also just got an email saying my results are being withheld while they do integrity checks. I assume that means they suspect someone cheated...

Surferman I'm not suggesting that you didn't read carefully or comply precisely, it's just that their answer requirements are so specific that what you may know as the right answer might not be what they want eg the 8 am example. I think that's the annoying part - not knowing where you went wrong and whether it was a genuine mistake or one of their pedantic "answers". I reckon it's the bane of every application. Do you really need 9 for your application or you just want it?

• Like 1

I just want it, it's a mental thing, 8 is the highest Immi will grant you points on anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

Just received my IELTS results, not happy. 8.5, 6.5, 9, 8.5 :angry2:

Need 7 across the board!!!! Any ideas on how to improve reading score, I am still not convinced this is an English Test, rather test technique!

• Like 1

I think the IELTS is a money making scam!

After doing my 2nd Academic IELTS I got L7.5 (lost a point due to the headphones that just went off - they don't even take this into consideration even after I complained), R8, W8.5, S 7.5 - at least this was enough to get my skills assessment done.

I then had to do the General IELTS in order to get 8 across the board so we can get our points up for our EOI. I got L 9, R 7.5, W 8, S 8 :boxing:

Still not good enough to get our points up, so we decided to apply for QLD State Nomination (190 visa). I am just not prepared to waste anymore money on this stupid English test.

I just think the fact that they use the lowest score is ridiculous! :angry2:

My agent told me that one of his other clients wrote the IELTS 11 times, because he kept missing separate sections of the test with 0.5 every time!!

Good luck to everybody who has to still write !

• Like 2

Frankly its bloody nuts. Just sit back and think about it. Take at a look at the scores above, we are all in the highest levels, how the hell do we ALL dip in the reading? And not JUSt a little, look at the scores, they all drop dramatically. I'm sorry but it looks a touch suspect, and yes I respect the fact that the test is rigorous and cross-checked to death. It still just does not look right to me.

I am also just going to try one more time, i don't have 400 bucks lying around for each time. Then I will go with my measly 60-65 and try SS as well. Also dont give a rats where I land, just dont want to leave!

I think the IELTS is a money making scam!

If it is, it's not Australian immigration who's making it. ILETS is "owned" by Cambridge University, The British Council and IDP Education.

ILETS is mainly used by American and British Universities to ensure candidates have a sufficient command of the language to go to those universities, particularly for medicine courses.

Over 2 million ILETS exams were taken in 2012.

Australian immigration uses it because it is not administered by an Australian agency and it is therefore not subject to appeal within the Australia immigration system. Pre 2012 it was identified that a number of applicants to immigrate to Australia did not have adequate English, hence the change in requirement. A score of 7 is considered to be a good user and 8 a very good user.

After doing my 2nd Academic IELTS I got L7.5 (lost a point due to the headphones that just went off - they don't even take this into consideration even after I complained), R8, W8.5, S 7.5 - at least this was enough to get my skills assessment done.

I then had to do the General IELTS in order to get 8 across the board so we can get our points up for our EOI. I got L 9, R 7.5, W 8, S 8 :boxing:

Still not good enough to get our points up, so we decided to apply for QLD State Nomination (190 visa). I am just not prepared to waste anymore money on this stupid English test.

I just think the fact that they use the lowest score is ridiculous! :angry2:

Be careful what you wish for. Based on the delays experienced by folk here and based on other forums it appears that Australia has met its migration quota for the 2013/2014 year. (also supported by the removal of some visas) If the ILETS were to be changed so that the average score was used and not the min, then in order to ensure the same number of candidates are successful the score required would have to increase, so 65 to guarantee an EOI may move to 75, 60 to 70 etc. In which case a lot of candidates would be required to increase their average by a point. I suspect it will be harder to increase an average by a point than one component.

My agent told me that one of his other clients wrote the IELTS 11 times, because he kept missing separate sections of the test with 0.5 every time!!

Good luck to everybody who has to still write !

Edited by 17yearsoutofrsa
  • Like 1

Hey mate,

Fair comments and points all to be sure. On the money making part, there is profit, and yes the Aussies don't make it all. But someone does! It is still a very tough/harsh exam, I am CONVINCED I should have done better. But none of my whining means anything, I will just need to suck it up and keep trying. :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a pdf work book that you can go through. My sister has done tutoring for IELTS but she is based in Pretoria.

Hi. Can we get in contact with your sister for some tutoring? Rudi wrote for the second time and still not. Workshop are only in jhb and he does not want to go that far.

Thanx

Trix

hi AlBrough,

Can you please send me your sisters' details? Hubby needs to do IELTS next and very nervous about it :-(

ruditrix, you did your Skype Interview go?? Results yet?

hi AlBrough,

Can you please send me your sisters' details? Hubby needs to do IELTS next and very nervous about it :-(

ruditrix, you did your Skype Interview go?? Results yet?

Hi. The interview went well from what he told me, but he does not want to jinx it as with ielts.

Stilll waiting patiently. We have now ordered the book at lang. Lab and wait for that then we will study together and go do the test.

We were almost late with in interview although we drove 1:30 before. Heavy traffic.

When are you going?

Don't actually want to hi-jack this post :blush: We went on Tuesday. Hubby also positive. Should have the results in about 10 days they said. Our appointment was 8.30 and we left 6.30 just in case (jhb traffic from Pta) but we were there just aft 7am. Interview was about 1.30mins. If positive, then next will be IELTS. Die IELTS resultate gaan bepaal waar ons kan bly. WAnt as hy 7 score, sal ons 'n State sponsorship moet kry (190) en WA waarheen ons wil gaan hersien tans sy beroep op hulle SOL. :cry: So dit gaan dalk afgehaal word. Dan het ons nie baie opsies waarheen om te gaan nie. As hy egter 8 score sal ons genoeg punte he vir 'n 189 so kan dan enige plek bly....

Rudi was al 2keer vir ielts. Elkekeer kry hy 6 of 6.5 vir die verdomde writing en 8en even 9. Nou moet hy net 7 total kry. Bogger die pr. Sal graag sponser wil kry vir qld state. Klaar areas gekyk vir state sponser. Gold coast. Maar sal moet sien wie sponser.

I also struggled with the writing. I got a 7, the rest was 8, 9, 8.5. I wrote IELTS 6 years ago, doing it again next weekend, because my previous skills assessment isn't valid anymore. I'm suddenly getting worried about the Reading also. I've been practising writing quite a bit, will start on some reading activities a.s.a.p

Anybody else doing IELTS in Cape Town on the 19th of July?

• 4 weeks later...

Frankly its bloody nuts. Just sit back and think about it. Take at a look at the scores above, we are all in the highest levels, how the hell do we ALL dip in the reading? And not JUSt a little, look at the scores, they all drop dramatically. I'm sorry but it looks a touch suspect, and yes I respect the fact that the test is rigorous and cross-checked to death. It still just does not look right to me.

I am also just going to try one more time, i don't have 400 bucks lying around for each time. Then I will go with my measly 60-65 and try SS as well. Also dont give a rats where I land, just dont want to leave!

hi SurferMan,

just a thought, why don't you try the 186 or 187 visa? it still gives you permanent residency. All you need to do is get a job offer and then be nominated by them. (if I'm understanding this correctly). and from what I've read it doesn't look like the IELTS is a prerequisite for the 186 and 187.

Hi ChareenC,

I have both a 189 and a 186 application in play right now. Just want one of them to happen. Suspect it will be the 186. You do need IETLS for 186. AS I said, just dont wanna leave Aus man! Love it here and so do my kids!

Hi Surferman

Oh okay - I'm still not convinced that you need "at least competent English" for the 186. I guess unless they have specified it as such in your invitation to apply. On the immi.gov website it says "meet the skills, qualifications and English language requirements, unless you are exempt" for the 186 and 187. You can show that your English is adequate by doing the IELTS. But it also says there that:

" You might not need to show adequate English language skills if you:

• are to be employed by a religious institution and you were nominated as a minister of religion
  • have nominated earnings at least equivalent to the current Australian Taxation Office top individual income tax rate (currently AUD 180 001), however if you are not able to demonstrate that you have functional English, you will be required to pay the second instalment of the visa application charge
  • are applying through the Temporary Residence Transition stream and:
    • you have completed at least five years of full-time study in a secondary or higher education institution
    • all of the tuition was delivered in English."

So if one has done high school in English, and can prove it I guess, one might be exempt.

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2012L01292

But anyway hope all works out for you and the family!

Haha,

Well, you could try your luck, but I did English all the way through school and it helped me nothing. They wanted IETLS. I say just do it. If you did Afrikaans, then all the tuition was not delivered in English.

Wow that strict hey!? True what you say about having Afrikaans as a subject! ;) I'm trying to find loop holes here! :) Me personally I'm Afrikaans, but half my family is English and I studied in English at varsity. I'm going to try my darnest to not have to go and write that thing. But if all else fails and I have to, I guess I just have to hey! :) lekker man lekker

I'm also looking into the 186 route as a possibility, going to start a new thread though.

My wife is Afrikaans, and she got 8 as an average, Im sure you wont struggle. A 6 is easy. :ilikeit: :ilikeit:

• Like 1