Advice for the IELTS by an IELTS teacher

luckytobehere

Hi There

Where can I find some practise tests to do? Do you have a link or something where I can can find some practise tests please.

Thanks

Have a look at this site: http://www.goodluckielts.com/

• Like 1

If you want to work in Australia on a 457 visa, do you still need to do the IELTS exam?

You do not need to do Ielts if you are applying for a 457, only for PR.

You do not need to do Ielts if you are applying for a 457, only for PR.

Thank you for the confirmation, Lynnie. Once you have PR and you want to sponsor your parents to come over, do they need to do the IELTS exam?

According to the DIAC website, the following is the English language requirement: I've copied the text below and here is a link to the page http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/eligibility-employee.htm

English language requirements

Evidence of an IELTS score must be produced if required when submitting a visa application. It is important that you can speak, write and understand a sufficient level of English while you are in Australia. The department uses the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) to determine your level of English language proficiency.

If you are sponsored by a party to a labour agreement, you must meet the English language ability specified in the agreement.

If you are sponsored by a Standard Business Sponsor, you must demonstrate that you have English language proficiency that is equivalent to an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test score of at least 5 in each of the four test components of speaking, reading, writing and listening.

You do not need to show that you meet this requirement if any of the following apply to you:

• You are to be paid a salary that exceeds the English language requirement exempt amount and the grant of the visa is in the interests of Australia. This amount is currently set at a gross base salary of AUD92 000 excluding all deductions.
  • Your nominated occupation does not need a level of English language proficiency for grant of registration, licence or membership, and:
    • you are a passport holder from Canada, New Zealand, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom or the United States of America
    • your nominated occupation is a highly skilled occupation that is on the gazetted list of English language exempt occupations
      See: IMMI 12/048 English Language Exemptions
    • you have completed at least five years of continuous full time study in a secondary and/or higher education institution where instruction was conducted in English.
  • You are nominated for an occupation which will be performed at a diplomatic or consular mission of another country or an office of the authorities of Taiwan located in Australia.

If you are seeking an exemption from the English language requirement on the basis of completion of five continuous years of study at a secondary or higher institution where the instruction was in English, you should also provide the following information with your visa application:

• name and location of the institution
  • level of qualification
  • official transcript from the secondary or tertiary institution
  • number of contact hours of instruction per week delivered in English
  • number of years of continuous study.

If your nominated occupation needs a level of English language proficiency for grant of registration, licence or membership, you need to provide evidence that you have the required level. You can do this by providing evidence that you have the relevant registration, licence or membership.

Thanks, wendym. I have read through this before, however it does not mention anything about the sponsored parent visa. I also couldn't see anything regarding English requirements on the Aged Parent visas or Contributory Parent visas.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I am so nervous. Writing the test on the 8th of June and I need to get a 7 in the academic test. My husband is doing the general test and needs to get only 5.

Extremely nervous

Don't worry, getting a 7 should not be a problem.

Hi There

Wondering if someone can give me some advice, I studied in English, how do I go about to get a letter that states that I studied in English so that i can give the IELTS a skip? What information do they have to put on the letter, or would they know what they need to add to a letter like that?

I did my Commercial Pilot licenses, and all our classes and exams was in english, I dont know if that would enough to be able to skip the IELTS?

Any advice?

Good luck Madelaine. Hubby is also writing on the 8th June. His fourth time to score those 7's. We have been doing lesson's with an English teacher over Skype, so let's hope it paid off.

Roelof unfortunately if you are the main applicant you will have to write the ielts. Unless you have a passport from the UK, Ireland and I think the USA.

You can't skip the IELTS even if you studied in English.

I have a BSc degree and on my transcripts it states, degree completed in English. Means nothing anymore.

The only people who do not have to IELTS is citizens of the UK, USA, Canada and New Zealand.

You could be a professor of English and only be able to speak, read, write in English even at the top level and you would still need to write IELTS.

I did it 3 times before getting above an 8 in each section. I found it to be more stressful than many other types of exams plus it is expensive.

That is why I am so worried- it is quite expensive.

Does the results have any expiry date or for how long is it valid?

You can't skip the IELTS even if you studied in English.

I have a BSc degree and on my transcripts it states, degree completed in English. Means nothing anymore.

The only people who do not have to IELTS is citizens of the UK, USA, Canada and New Zealand.

You could be a professor of English and only be able to speak, read, write in English even at the top level and you would still need to write IELTS.

I did it 3 times before getting above an 8 in each section. I found it to be more stressful than many other types of exams plus it is expensive.

Not neccessarily true. The required standard of English differs for different visas. For example we came on the PR visa RSMS number 119 now 187, and the requirement is "functional English" For us that meant a letter from the university that said the Bachelors degree course was taught in English.

We got PR without submitting IELTS results on Saffer passports.

So what visas are you applying for and what are the English requirements?

Not neccessarily true. The required standard of English differs for different visas. For example we came on the PR visa RSMS number 119 now 187, and the requirement is "functional English" For us that meant a letter from the university that said the Bachelors degree course was taught in English.

We got PR without submitting IELTS results on Saffer passports.

So what visas are you applying for and what are the English requirements?

Sorry, I should have said it appears the IELTS is compulsory on SKillselect PR190 and PR189

That is why I am so worried- it is quite expensive.

Does the results have any expiry date or for how long is it valid?

It is valid for 2 years. It used to be 1 year, unless it was 2 years and is now 3 years. It would appear I have forgotten. I know it is valid for at least 2 years.

I am busy with my General and need a 7 overall, i am so stressed for this, as i am afrikaner from birth, i am going to a Workshop in this month to help me.

This is one that i should get right, don't wanna re-do it, funds not that great.

Pay close attention to timing and formatting in the listening and reading part as that is right infront of you and is open to logic and deduction, as far as speaking and writing is concerned that is where having english as a first language is an advantage........good luck. Dont let the clock run away by being stuck on one question, move on to the next if you have any doubt....finnish and then only go back.

• 2 weeks later...

Did the IELTS on the 8th of June. Everything was fine and not that difficult, except for the speaking part - was so nervous and the topic that was given to me made no sense at all.

Hoping for the best

• 3 weeks later...

I found the listening the most difficult. It was not 'difficult' at all, I just got a bit bored with the topics and then found myself having drifter off and not knowing the answer because I wasn't listening. English is also my second language so I was very nervous and waiting for the results was bad, but I got 8's and 9's except for the listing which was a 7.5. What helped me most was to pay the money and have the mock tests written and assessed. The R500 or so was well worth it.

I also came short in the listening in the first 2 times I wrote the exams, clearly I don't listen, a typical guy attribute :jester:

• Like 1

Hi,

Myself and the wife have done the IELTS in 2007 as we wanted to move to Australia then. On the documents received it state that it is "recommended" to redo after 2 years. Do we have to redo the IELTS test again?

On another note.

If you have European citizenship do you need to do the IELTS test?

I found the listening the most difficult. It was not 'difficult' at all, I just got a bit bored with the topics and then found myself having drifter off and not knowing the answer because I wasn't listening. English is also my second language so I was very nervous and waiting for the results was bad, but I got 8's and 9's except for the listing which was a 7.5. What helped me most was to pay the money and have the mock tests written and assessed. The R500 or so was well worth it.

Hi where did you do a mock test? How does it work?

You meet the English language threshold of competent if you hold a valid passport from, and are a citizen of, one of the following countries:

• United Kingdom (UK)
  • Canada
  • New Zealand
  • United States of America (USA)
  • Republic of Ireland.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/175/eligibility-english.htm

Which document is recommending you redo it? I will see what I can find to support IELTS expiring after 2 years, and for a teacher you have to do the Academic test for your skills assessment.

PS. welcome to the forum :)

Edited by AlBrough

What helped me most was to pay the money and have the mock tests written and assessed. The R500 or so was well worth it.

What is this about mock tests that you can write and have assessed?

I've seen posts about where to find practice tests. But I haven't seen ones about having such tests assessed. Did I miss that? It sounds like a great idea.