Anyone know a Property Valuer (Assessor) in Australia?

RyLu

Hi all,

My wife and I started the whole process but I'm struggling big time with obtaining correct and current information regarding my line of work. I'm a property valuer with more than 7 years experience and only recently began studying for a diploma as it only recently became compulsary to obtain one.

Different story in Australia it seems like and I dont know where to begin and the help from someone involved in that industry would of great help to me.

Regards

Ryno

Unfortunately I cannot help with a property valuer, as we have never used one, we built both our homes in Australia.

The following link may give you more information:

http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/property-titles-and-maps/valuation-home-page/the-valuation-profession/become-a-valuer

or this:

http://www.myfuture.edu.au/The%20Facts/Work%20and%20Employment/Occupations/Details.aspx?anzsco=224512A

or this:

http://www.api.org.au/

or this:

http://www.valuersinstitute.com.au/

and a forum, where they discuss this:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1779543

Hope the above links provide you with some assistance.

I am a registered property valuer. Without a formal qualification either Diploma, preferably a Degree it will be hard to get a registration in any of the states. Registrations also differ slightly from state to state. In NSW you register with the API (Australian Property Institute) and the Department of Fair Trading, the same in the ACT, in Victoria you only register with the API and so on. With a formal qualification, you will have to work approximately a year in the profession, complete a few subjects, covering things like local state and federal laws, which again differ from state to state and finally you will have to present practical reports for your panel interview.

Hi Rookie, thx for the reply.

What do you think are the chances of obtaining accreditation for the subjects I already passed and to continue my studies in Australia? Do valuation companies hire "students"?

Here in SA it's called a "Candidate Valuer" and I think over there it's called a "Cadet Valuer".

Does so many years experience really count for nothing...?

Regards

Ryno

Yep, they do employ student valuers. The shortage is generally in the rural or regional areas. You can get recognition for prior learning. To get a Regional / Employer sponsorship, you will have to go through the qualification certification/verification - Vetassess. - process. They assess your qualifications as comparable or not to the local qualification requirements. A partly completed qualification will cause problems. A sponsored visa will be the preferred visa. The alternative is a 457 visa, with formal qualification and job offer. Higher risk. I've had about 10 years experience before coming to Australia and had to go through the same process. The actual valuation side is pretty much the same as in South Africa, except for Local laws. Most of the valuation work is online.

• 4 months later...

Hi JaMy,

We’ve been quite busy on this side and I now need to make a
couple of choices and hope that you will be able to shed some more light on a
couple of questions that I need to decide on…

It now appears as if we may be able to go over to Aus. a bit
earlier than what I anticipated as my wife might be in line for a nice position
within the Toga Hotel group. We’ve
booked out flights to meet with the relevant company and a LSD vacation – all in
August.

We will concentrate on Melbourne, Victoria with special
reference to the Eastern out-lying areas closer to the Yarra Valley because if
all goes well with my wife’s prospects then her main work will be focussed in
that area.

I’m in a bit of a predicament because I think that our
current Property Valuation Diploma in South Africa is not going to be up to
standards when compared with Australia’s.
I’m currently in my second year of studies with some third year subjects
already completed.

I’m scared that if I wait it out on this side to complete
the diploma, then I might lose out on possible opportunities in Aus.

I now that we’ve touched on the subject in an earlier
conversation, but now I’m pretty sure that I will have to do further studies
once there to comply with standards over there.
So is it really worthwhile to stick it out a further at least 18 months
over here vs. continuing studies over in Oz.

Based on recruitment agencies websites it appears as if the
companies mainly employ certified and experienced valuers and up to date I’ve
seen no positions advertised for Cadet Valuers.
Do you perceive that it will be very difficult to hunt down a position? Also, what could one expect to earn on
average during a Kadet period and then once fully registered?

Perhaps my background might tip the scale over during an
interview as I’m used to sometimes driving over 600km for a valuation – thus the
rural areas would pose little challenges for me. On average my monthly kilometres clock up to
between 7 000 to 12 000 depending on the workload which varies
between 70 to 140 residential valuations with a couple of agricultural and
commercial’s thrown into the mix.

I guess what I’m basically asking is that if you were in my
current position, what your plan of action would have been…?

Any advice as to companies to try, or to avoid and so forth
would be appreciated tremendously.

Regards

Ryno

• 7 years later...
On 1/8/2013 at 5:44 PM, JaMy said:

Yep, they do employ student valuers. The shortage is generally in the rural or regional areas. You can get recognition for prior learning. To get a Regional / Employer sponsorship, you will have to go through the qualification certification/verification - Vetassess. - process. They assess your qualifications as comparable or not to the local qualification requirements. A partly completed qualification will cause problems. A sponsored visa will be the preferred visa. The alternative is a 457 visa, with formal qualification and job offer. Higher risk. I've had about 10 years experience before coming to Australia and had to go through the same process. The actual valuation side is pretty much the same as in South Africa, except for Local laws. Most of the valuation work is online.

Hi JaMy, I'm a final year property valuation student in Melbourne. As im an international student i need a bit of advice about the immigration thing (what immigration agent you hired) and about your experience and journey plus how did you managed to find work.